• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your feelings regarding transgenders

Would someone being transgender make you more uncomfortable with either of the scenarios in the OP?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 23 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Just curious, if there was a disaster that left you homeless, and a person (who had many of the qualities you admire in a person), invited you to live with them, but they were transgender, would you be any more uncomfortable accepting the offer, then were they not transgender?

Probably. You should however consider that most transgenders aren't that well accepted in the first place.

Or, if your kid was going to a foster home, would you feel any less comfortable with your child going to that foster home, if one or both of the foster parents were transgender?

Early in my conversion to Christianity, I'd be a bit frightened. But I've changed a bit.

Congratulations! :) That is very much welcome.

Do you know anyone who is transgender, in real life?
Yes, at least two people.

Accepting them as they are is much welcome.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
That would be great. For some reason, I've always thought that you were in a band even before reading this. @Woberts is a psychic confirmed?

My wife is psychic so I have been wearing a tin foil hat off and on for years. Evidently it doesn't help much.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
if you are transgender and you're reading this, would you mind telling me how old you were when you realized you identify with the opposite gender ( if you remember)?
When I was very young, before starting school I think. It took awhile for me to even accept myself though, because my mom said some pretty nasty things about a trans woman she used to work with (her attitude has done a complete 180 and she's more OK with me being trans than me being Agnostic), and because of conservative Christian views that I was raised into that taught me how to hate myself. I finally accepted myself in my early 20s, and lived with anxiety because transgender people aren't well treated in society. But at least with acceptance I stopped having suicidal ideations. But I still wished I could have died when I was born, which nearly happened. But as I began to move along with my transition, even those thoughts came to an end.
I've not met any other transgender people IRL, except one time when I went to some meeting thing a gender therapist in another city held.

Prestor John

Just curious, if there was a disaster that left you homeless, and a person (who had many of the qualities you admire in a person), invited you to live with them, but they were transgender, would you be any more uncomfortable accepting the offer, then were they not transgender?

Or, if your kid was going to a foster home, would you feel any less comfortable with your child going to that foster home, if one or both of the foster parents were transgender?

Early in my conversion to Christianity, I'd be a bit frightened. But I've changed a bit.

Do you know anyone who is transgender, in real life?
As of lately, I've made a friend who is male who often wears a skirt and high heels. It doesn't bother me at all. But I actually don't know any transgender people in real life (to my knowledge). I'd like to though.

Regarding the first scenario, I'd be more comfortable if it was a female who became male, than a male who became female. Feelings interfere.

Don't know about the second.

The way I see it, I've got enough issues that I should not judge anyone, but sometimes feelings still interfere.

Just curious what most people's feelings are these days.
I feel that they have a mental illness that I hope and pray they get adequate care for.

PureX

Veteran Member
I feel that they have a mental illness that I hope and pray they get adequate care for.
If I had just typed that, I would be very curious about why I thought this in spite of what both the professionals and the transgenders themselves say. I would want to know why I am holding such a negative and uninformed opinion of people who's plight has nothing to do with me.

PureX

Veteran Member
When I was very young, before starting school I think. It took awhile for me to even accept myself though, because my mom said some pretty nasty things about a trans woman she used to work with (her attitude has done a complete 180 and she's more OK with me being trans than me being Agnostic), and because of conservative Christian views that I was raised into that taught me how to hate myself. I finally accepted myself in my early 20s, and lived with anxiety because transgender people aren't well treated in society. But at least with acceptance I stopped having suicidal ideations. But I still wished I could have died when I was born, which nearly happened. But as I began to move along with my transition, even those thoughts came to an end.
I've not met any other transgender people IRL, except one time when I went to some meeting thing a gender therapist in another city held.
An interesting thing that I've noted over the years, is that when I meet people who have had to deal with such unusual difficulties in life, as yourself, and managed to survive them, they strike me as having gained a great deal of wisdom we "regular" people do not have, because we have not had to face the same kind or degree of profound adversity. It's the kind of unique wisdom I see in cancer survivors, recovered addicts, and victims of horrific disasters.

I feel confident in suggesting that you have gained some of this kind of unique wisdom, because of your circumstances in life. And that this makes you a very valuable asset to the rest of us even if we are not all willing to recognize it. ... Something to keep in mind, as you move forward in life, I guess.

Liu

In a way I would actually agree that it is a mental illness - even though my new hormone-doctor recently couldn't stop himself from stressing how it's not an illness and apologizing for using medical terminology etc. (which I don't mind and told him so).
But well, it's in so far a mental illness as some studies indicate that the cause would be getting exposed to the opposite-sex-hormones as a fetus and therefore having one's brain develop like that of the opposite sex. In other words, having a brain not perfectly compatible to one's body.
Just, the best treatment seems to be changing the body accordingly, as changing the brain is much more difficult if even possible. Glad to hear you agree that us transpeople should get the care we need ^^

Prestor John

If I had just typed that, I would be very curious about why I thought this in spite of what both the professionals and the transgenders themselves say.
No.

You would probably be thinking about how not all the "professionals" agree on this issue and how political motivations cast doubt on those you speak out against absolute biological fact.
I would want to know why I am holding such a negative and uninformed opinion of people who's plight has nothing to do with me.
No.

I would know that physical reality is not negative and being unwilling to accept delusion does not make anyone uninformed.

Caring about people in their plight is commendable.

Prestor John

In a way I would actually agree that it is a mental illness - even though my new hormone-doctor recently couldn't stop himself from stressing how it's not an illness and apologizing for using medical terminology etc. (which I don't mind and told him so).
But well, it's in so far a mental illness as some studies indicate that the cause would be getting exposed to the opposite-sex-hormones as a fetus and therefore having one's brain develop like that of the opposite sex. In other words, having a brain not perfectly compatible to one's body.
Just, the best treatment seems to be changing the body accordingly, as changing the brain is much more difficult if even possible. Glad to hear you agree that us transpeople should get the care we need ^^
Why not tell a biological man who thinks he is a woman to take more testosterone rather than estrogen?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
That is a huge cross you carry. may you be rewarded for your pain in this life and in the next.

Liu

Why not tell a biological man who thinks he is a woman to take more testosterone rather than estrogen?

Because it would worsen the situation.

Regarding the physicals aspects, I'm not a doctor but it would be probably quite hazardous for their health.

Regarding the mental aspects, it wouldn't have much any direct influence on the mind as far as I know - it might heighten the sex-drive or make the person more aggressive, but otherwise there shouldn't be much effect.
(As a female-to-male transgender, I would attribute most any mental changes I witnessed more to feeling more comfortable and thereby self-confident, and surgery (breast-removal) had a larger positive effect on me than the hormones - if I could have chosen only one of those two, I would have chosen surgery instead of hormone therapy.)

However, due to the male physical characteristics increasing, that person would feel even less comfortable in their body.

And, since the body sometimes transforms too high amounts of sexual hormones into the other-sex-kind of sexual hormones, it might actually have the same effect as giving that person estrogen in the first place.

You were the only one spewing hate last I spoke to you.

Your aggression speaks of your instability and mental illness.

You need help.
Not sure whether you are claiming that, but for the record, just because some transpeople may need psychological help that doesn't mean that their psychological problems are caused by them being transgender.

Last edited:

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
if you are transgender and you're reading this, would you mind telling me how old you were when you realized you identify with the opposite gender ( if you remember)?

Did your loved ones react well to it?
There are 2 definations to transgender.One is someone who identifies as male and transitions to female or vise versa.The other is someone who does not identify as their assigned gender.I identify as trans and use the second definition. I am non-binary. I do not identify as male or female. I remember first having feelings of being non-binary at 7 through before then I never felt like I was female. I did not know one could be trans until I was 14. Ha. No. My aunt yelled at me, my sister told me I wasn't and I got beat up very badly because I was trans. the only person who accepted me was my grandma and she doesn't understand it

VoidCat

There are 2 definations to transgender.One is someone who identifies as male and transitions to female or vise versa.The other is someone who does not identify as their assigned gender.I identify as trans and use the second definition. I am non-binary. I do not identify as male or female. I remember first having feelings of being non-binary at 7 through before then I never felt like I was female. I did not know one could be trans until I was 14. Ha. No. My aunt yelled at me, my sister told me I wasn't and I got beat up very badly because I was trans. the only person who accepted me was my grandma and she doesn't understand it
I forgot to add if you have any other questions I would be fine answering

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Sounds like a lot of suffering and heartbreak :(

VoidCat

Thank you for proving my point.
I really don't want to get involved in this I haven't been paying much attention and this arguing is kind of bothering me but I would say being angry in of it self is not a sign of illness. It could be but it's not necessarily so. And trans people have been discriminated against a lot so it's possible that if a trans person has a mental illness it could be caused by that. This is all I'll say about this but I do hope that whatever issues you both have towards each other get resolved even if it means you don't talk to each other.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I really don't want to get involved in this I haven't been paying much attention and this arguing is kind of bothering me but I would say being angry in of it self is not a sign of illness. It could be but it's not necessarily so. And trans people have been discriminated against a lot so it's possible that if a trans person has a mental illness it could be caused by that. This is all I'll say about this but I do hope that whatever issues you both have towards each other get resolved even if it means you don't talk to each other.
I have a reason to be angry. He's just being passive aggressive, as always (I assume he is because I can't see it, but that's his MO). This has been going on for weeks, back and forth between us, from another thread about trans people. Now he bumps this one to spew hate in another thread. I just got sick of his constant insults towards trans people. Belittling us by misgendering us on purpose, calling us mentally ill and saying we need help over and over, insulting our bodies by saying we're mutilating ourselves, ignoring all information posted to the contrary and then playing the victim acting like I'm the hateful one for telling him off. He is not in this for honest discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.