• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your feelings regarding transgenders

Would someone being transgender make you more uncomfortable with either of the scenarios in the OP?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 23 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I have a reason to be angry. He's just being passive aggressive, as always (I assume he is because I can't see it, but that's his MO). This has been going on for weeks, back and forth between us, from another thread about trans people. Now he bumps this one to spew hate in another thread. I just got sick of his constant insults towards trans people. Belittling us by misgendering us on purpose, calling us mentally ill and saying we need help over and over, insulting our bodies by saying we're mutilating ourselves, ignoring all information posted to the contrary and then playing the victim acting like I'm the hateful one for telling him off. He is not in this for honest discussion.
Sadly most people are not in most conversations for honest conversation but to show they are right. I will say no matter how angry you get it's best not to insult others. Even if you feel they deserve it makes you swoop down to their level and makes you look bad. And if you are defending a group of people it can make the whole group look bad. But that is my opinion and my advice you do not have to follow it.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Sadly most people are not in most conversations for honest conversation but to show they are right. I will say no matter how angry you get it's best not to insult others. Even if you feel they deserve it makes you swoop down to their level and makes you look bad. And if you are defending a group of people it can make the whole group look bad. But that is my opinion and my advice you do not have to follow it.
I don't believe in that pacifistic martyr crap, sorry. You insult me out of malice, you get insulted right back. I treat others how they treat me. I believe in standing up for myself.

VoidCat

I don't believe in that pacifistic martyr crap, sorry. You insult me out of malice, you get insulted right back. I treat others how they treat me. I believe in standing up for myself.
like I said that is just my opinion and my advice you do not have to follow it. I do stand up for myself but I try to do so as respectfully as I can.

Prestor John

I really don't want to get involved in this I haven't been paying much attention and this arguing is kind of bothering me but I would say being angry in of it self is not a sign of illness. It could be but it's not necessarily so. And trans people have been discriminated against a lot so it's possible that if a trans person has a mental illness it could be caused by that. This is all I'll say about this but I do hope that whatever issues you both have towards each other get resolved even if it means you don't talk to each other.
Being transgender, in and of itself, is a mental illness.

All Saint Frankenstein has to do to avoid me is not respond to my posts.

Liu

There are 2 definations to transgender.One is someone who identifies as male and transitions to female or vise versa.The other is someone who does not identify as their assigned gender.I identify as trans and use the second definition. I am non-binary. I do not identify as male or female. I remember first having feelings of being non-binary at 7 through before then I never felt like I was female. I did not know one could be trans until I was 14. Ha. No. My aunt yelled at me, my sister told me I wasn't and I got beat up very badly because I was trans. the only person who accepted me was my grandma and she doesn't understand it
As with any dichotomy there are exceptions ;)
I identify more as male than as female in so far as I feel much better with a more male-like body now and with people considering me being male.
But I consider genders to be social constructs for a large part and wouldn't identify with either very much.

Explaining people that one is trans is difficult enough (although I encountered nigh zero negative reactions - sorry to hear that you weren't as fortunate), explaining non-binarity is something I normally don't even attempt to.

VoidCat

As with any dichotomy there are exceptions ;)
I identify more as male than as female in so far as I feel much better with a more male-like body now and with people considering me being male.
But I consider genders to be social constructs for a large part and wouldn't identify with either very much.

Explaining people that one is trans is difficult enough (although I encountered nigh zero negative reactions - sorry to hear that you weren't as fortunate), explaining non-binarity is something I normally don't even attempt to.
Oh I soo understand this too much...trying to explain non-binary to people is exhausting!What are your pronouns if you don't mine me asking? Mine are they and them.

Last edited:

Liu

Oh I soo understand this too much...What are your pronouns if you don't mine me asking? Mine are they and them.
Depends. In real life, simply he/him. Online, either he/him or, if someone would ask, any gender-neutral pronoun people wanna use (they/them, ne/nem, xe/xem, even it/its, but please not shi/hir, that has some connotations I don't identify with).
I don't think one ever has asked me, though - on most internet platforms, people either know that I'm ftm and therefore use male pronouns, or don't know and simply guess and I correct them if they use female forms, or use they/them anyway.
I'm a linguist by profession, I don't take language usage too personally ;) So I normally don't bother about these things.

Also, I live in Germany, so we don't have gender-neutral pronouns here that people would actually use, only equivalents of he, she, it, and no one would use the latter for these purposes.

VoidCat

Depends. In real life, simply he/him. Online, either he/him or, if someone would ask, any gender-neutral pronoun people wanna use (they/them, ne/nem, xe/xem, even it/its, but please not shi/hir, that has some connotations I don't identify with).
I don't think one ever has asked me, though - on most internet platforms, people either know that I'm ftm and therefore use male pronouns, or don't know and simply guess and I correct them if they use female forms, or use they/them anyway.
I'm a linguist by profession, I don't take language usage too personally ;) So I normally don't bother about these things.

Also, I live in Germany, so we don't have gender-neutral pronouns here that people would actually use, only equivalents of he, she, it, and no one would use the latter for these purposes.
So just to make sure I understand you would like me to use either he/him or gender-neutral pronouns?Would I be correct in saying this?This part here confused me
I correct them if they use female forms, or use they/them anyway.
because I don't know if that means you correct them if they use they and them pronouns or if it's just that you correct them if they use she/her pronouns. but here it says
Online, either he/him or, if someone would ask, any gender-neutral pronoun people wanna use (they/them, ne/nem, xe/xem, even it/its, but please not shi/hir, that has some connotations I don't identify with).
so it would seem you are ok with gender-neutral pronouns.

Liu

So just to make sure I understand you would like me to use either he/him or gender-neutral pronouns?Would I be correct in saying this?This part here confused me
because I don't know if that means you correct them if they use they and them pronouns or if it's just that you correct them if they use she/her pronouns. but here it says
so it would seem you are ok with gender-neutral pronouns.
I correct them if they use she/her (and would if they'd use shi/hir). Besides that, anything is fine.
Ah, I see - yeah, sorry, English ain't my native language and therefore I something don't see ambiguities in my syntactical structures. I meant "..., or they use they/them anyway.".

VoidCat

I correct them if they use she/her (and would if they'd use shi/hir). Besides that, anything is fine.
Ah, I see - yeah, sorry, English ain't my native language and therefore I something don't see ambiguities in my syntactical structures. I meant "..., or they use they/them anyway.".
That's what I thought but I just wanted to check.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Gender dysphoria is the real "mental illness" and transitioning is the cure.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
*** THREAD LOCKED ***

Please go read this thread on mental health (PSA - Mental Health), because "mentally ill" is not a snarl word to begin with and as a culture we need to quit using it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.