• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your feelings regarding transgenders

Would someone being transgender make you more uncomfortable with either of the scenarios in the OP?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 23 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Funny you should ask. Our bass player is transgendering (?). We've only known her for a few months but she has become dedicated to us. It took me a few minutes to get orientated to the situation, but after she started playing the first time with us it just seemed natural. Now I find myself feeling protective of her, but she's over six feet tall, has not had her operations yet (first of August), and, if I understand her, she's been in this transition for almost two years so she can probably handle herself if needs be. BTW, the hardest thing for me was referring to her as "her' because she is still more masculine than feminine.
"Transgendering" isn't a word. Lol. Neither is "transgenders", for that matter. Transgender is an adjective, not a noun or verb. You can be a transgender person. A transgender person may transition.

Phantasman

. What one chooses to do to their body is their choice, not mine. I would be attracted to their spiritual self no matter what the flesh appeared as. I knew a girl burned almost beyond recognition due to a meth lab accident. It's not about the flesh to me, male/female, black/white, or even a transgender/homosexual.

It's about the mind (spirit) that I would accept or reject a person.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I can only pray she makes the right decision for her. That she will not find isolation as so many do after their operation. Brought back memories of a guy who like your friend was a bass guitarist for famous band he like your friend was very tall. He has a relationship with a woman who had been a man. It ended very badly so I just hope your friend knows what they are doing. I wish your band success.

Again, we've only known her for a short time but we seem to be a very good influence for her; she's really opened up a lot with us. I can't speak to her decisions but she is a helluva bass player and that's good enough for me. Thanks for the well wishes. We actually have our first gig coming up next Friday. If you are interested I can send you our website on PM.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
"Transgendering" isn't a word. Lol. Neither is "transgenders", for that matter. Transgender is an adjective, not a noun or verb. You can be a transgender person. A transgender person may transition.

Thanks for the heads up (you noticed my question mark, eh). Transitioning is a much better definition. BTW, this shows you how much I knew about it, lol.

RESOLUTION

@RESOLUTION
You are clearly a Christian. How do you reconcile approving of and sanctioning homosexual acts as not being sinful, when the Bible says otherwise?

The bible clearly says: King James Bible
For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

Sin leads to death. I do not sanction anything for sin is sin.
But no matter what sin we commit if we break just one law we are guilty of breaking all laws.

Are we any different but for the grace of God? My posts are very clear that no matter what we believe as individuals we should always treat people the same and do no harm.

When Christ saved the woman caught in adultery what did he say? " Let he who is without sin cast the first stone," Christ could have cast that stone. Instead,after they had all gone and none left to condemn her, he said: " Go, but sin no more."

If we are to love our neighbour we should do good to all without exception and not judge them for we are all sinners saved by Gods grace. Maybe the problem is that everyone wants to judge and condemn rather than love others.

RESOLUTION

Again, we've only known her for a short time but we seem to be a very good influence for her; she's really opened up a lot with us. I can't speak to her decisions but she is a helluva bass player and that's good enough for me. Thanks for the well wishes. We actually have our first gig coming up next Friday. If you are interested I can send you our website on PM.
Please do would love to know more about the band.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nah. I personally know one trans man and one trans woman and they are both some of the kindest individuals I know. Highly empathetic and responsible people. Of course transgender people are as varied as anyone else, but my life feels richer for knowing these two.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'm interested, too. :)

Rational Agnostic

Just curious, if there was a disaster that left you homeless, and a person (who had many of the qualities you admire in a person), invited you to live with them, but they were transgender, would you be any more uncomfortable accepting the offer, then were they not transgender?

Or, if your kid was going to a foster home, would you feel any less comfortable with your child going to that foster home, if one or both of the foster parents were transgender?

Early in my conversion to Christianity, I'd be a bit frightened. But I've changed a bit.

Do you know anyone who is transgender, in real life?
As of lately, I've made a friend who is male who often wears a skirt and high heels. It doesn't bother me at all. But I actually don't know any transgender people in real life (to my knowledge). I'd like to though.

Regarding the first scenario, I'd be more comfortable if it was a female who became male, than a male who became female. Feelings interfere.

Don't know about the second.

The way I see it, I've got enough issues that I should not judge anyone, but sometimes feelings still interfere.

Just curious what most people's feelings are these days.

I had a professor who is fully transgender. Very nice person.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
As an older person, I'm probably more likely to be resisting change, when even homosexuality was illegal for the first two decades of my life. However, neither homosexuality nor transgender issues seem to cause any particular worries for me, and I see both as deserving the same rights as anyone else, and the same respect. It's difficult to imagine how they feel of course but I can imagine how it might be, given how homosexuals were treated for so many years. I've never met any transgender individuals but I don't think the scenarios presented would cause any particular concerns.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Funny you should ask. Our bass player is transgendering (?). We've only known her for a few months but she has become dedicated to us. It took me a few minutes to get orientated to the situation, but after she started playing the first time with us it just seemed natural. Now I find myself feeling protective of her, but she's over six feet tall, has not had her operations yet (first of August), and, if I understand her, she's been in this transition for almost two years so she can probably handle herself if needs be. BTW, the hardest thing for me was referring to her as "her' because she is still more masculine than feminine.

Any performances of your band on youtube or anything, out of curiosity?

Liu

Not wanting to skew your statistics, but I of course wouldn't have any issues with it.
I mean, if I'd have the impression that the person is not mentally stable because of it (or because of anything else), then that would be an issue, but in general, no.

if you are transgender and you're reading this, would you mind telling me how old you were when you realized you identify with the opposite gender ( if you remember)?
Being fully sure that I'm trans? 23/24 (now I'm almost 27).

It was during/after writing my master thesis, in which time I was really stressed, anxious about the future and experimenting with meditation, autogenic training and the like. That made me more aware of my bodily disphoria. I had disphoria at least since puberty but having been busy dealing with severe social anxiety I suppressed it in order to focus on functioning at all.

I did not really identify as female-gendered before realizing I'm trans, but for me it was more of a disbelief in gender differences in general - if there was something I liked or didn't like which seemed strange for a female but typical for a male I just assumed that to be a confirmation of the cultural and not biological roots of gender roles. I also wasn't really familiar with the concept of transsexuality until I was maybe 21 - I knew what transvestites are but I hadn't heard of sexual reassignment surgeries, the effects of hormones or that there also are female-to-male transsexuals. Actually I recently read in a book about gender (written by an agender transwoman) that I picked up out of curiosity that nowadays people would mainly think of FtM-transgenders when confronted with the term, but I really don't know how she got that idea.

Did your loved ones react well to it?
Yup, no problems - actually, except for in some online forums I never encountered any discrimination or rejection or even just mere criticism for it.
Sure, some take a bit time to get used to the new name/pronouns and my (slightly demented) grandma still doesn't seem to have really understood it. But no bad experiences except for one endocrinologist (hormone doctor) who didn't believe me that I'm trans because I don't fully identify as male either and because of my appearance (e.g. wearing my hair long).

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I have no problem with transgender people, but I would not want to live with one again. There were just too many small social issues.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Do you have transgender friends?

Yes. Two of my friends are transgendered, including one I'm pretty close to. It's easy to forget she's transgendered because she's so much a person, and not a mere label to me.

The other transgendered individual -- the one I'm not as close to -- once gave me what is undoubtably the second most passionate kiss of my life during a snow storm. WHOOEEE!

PureX

Veteran Member
My feeling is that I am happy that gender identity is not a problem for me. I wish those who are having to deal with it the best of outcomes with the least difficulty, and if I meet them I will do my best to treat them with the respect they deserve and desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.