• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your feelings regarding transgenders

Would someone being transgender make you more uncomfortable with either of the scenarios in the OP?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 23 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Just curious, if there was a disaster that left you homeless, and a person (who had many of the qualities you admire in a person), invited you to live with them, but they were transgender, would you be any more uncomfortable accepting the offer, then were they not transgender?

Or, if your kid was going to a foster home, would you feel any less comfortable with your child going to that foster home, if one or both of the foster parents were transgender?

Early in my conversion to Christianity, I'd be a bit frightened. But I've changed a bit.

Do you know anyone who is transgender, in real life?
As of lately, I've made a friend who is male who often wears a skirt and high heels. It doesn't bother me at all. But I actually don't know any transgender people in real life (to my knowledge). I'd like to though.

Regarding the first scenario, I'd be more comfortable if it was a female who became male, than a male who became female. Feelings interfere.

Don't know about the second.

The way I see it, I've got enough issues that I should not judge anyone, but sometimes feelings still interfere.

Just curious what most people's feelings are these days.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Cool!
I think for those who have a phobia, it comes from lack of exposure, since they only make up .3% of the population, and how a person is raised, and of course religious beliefs
Well considering my culture has long identified transgendered people as "something that exists" I lack the inbuilt phobia that seems rather inherent with my Abrahamic brethren. I'm rather indifferent to the (for lack of a better word) phenomenon for the most part.
I don't really know any transgendered people in real life though. I know a couple of pretty successful drag queens, but that's it.
(And yes I know that's not the same thing.)

Reaper

Ave Satanas
Have you had or do you plan on the operation? If you don't mind my asking...
Ah, the question everyone wants to ask.
There's actually two operations, they're called top and bottom surgeries respectively in the trans community. Haven't had either (don't have insurance right now), but I do want both, at least top surgery as unlike bottom surgery you don't have to stay on HRT to have it done. Luckily a lot of folks see me as male regardless, something I'm quite happy about.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Ah, the question everyone wants to ask.
There's actually two operations, they're called top and bottom surgeries respectively in the trans community. Haven't had either (don't have insurance right now), but I do want both, at least top surgery as unlike bottom surgery you don't have to stay on HRT to have it done. Luckily a lot of folks see me as male regardless, something I'm quite happy about.
Do you have transgender friends?

RESOLUTION

Just curious, if there was a disaster that left you homeless, and a person (who had many of the qualities you admire in a person), invited you to live with them, but they were transgender, would you be any more uncomfortable accepting the offer, then were they not transgender?

Or, if your kid was going to a foster home, would you feel any less comfortable with your child going to that foster home, if one or both of the foster parents were transgender?

Early in my conversion to Christianity, I'd be a bit frightened. But I've changed a bit.

Do you know anyone who is transgender, in real life?
As of lately, I've made a friend who is male who often wears a skirt and high heels. It doesn't bother me at all. But I actually don't know any transgender people in real life (to my knowledge). I'd like to though.

Regarding the first scenario, I'd be more comfortable if it was a female who became male, than a male who became female. Feelings interfere.

Don't know about the second.

The way I see it, I've got enough issues that I should not judge anyone, but sometimes feelings still interfere.

Just curious what most people's feelings are these days.

Is there a reality regarding possibility?

Truth is anyone who opens their home up to the homeless is a star.
Why should a sex change really affect the ability of a person to care for a child?
Many people who have a sex change have children already. It does not make one less capable of being a parent.
I feel sad for those who later regret their sex change.

Yes, I do know people who have had a sex change. But to be honest it does not affect myself or others one way or another.

I would like to think kindness and understanding would be dished out.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Is there a reality regarding possibility?

Truth is anyone who opens their home up to the homeless is a star.
Why should a sex change really affect the ability of a person to care for a child?
Many people who have a sex change have children already. It does not make one less capable of being a parent.
I feel sad for those who later regret their sex change.

Yes, I do know people who have had a sex change. But to be honest it does not affect myself or others one way or another.

I would like to think kindness and understanding would be dished out.
I was curious to know what the average person's gut feeling is.

I'm trying to overcome the indoctrination that I've gone through. Feelings are not always something a person can control.

I used to be terrified of spiders. I held one, and I realized by facing my fear, I love my fear. At first it was horrifying!

I currently own multiple tarantulas, and one of them is the largest species in the world. I just love their eight eyes, their eight legs, their colorful fur, and everything about them that used to scare me.

Point is, I had to overcome my fear by exposure to my fear. Now I love my fear. it's a lesson I take with me, cuz if I kept avoiding or running away from my fear, I would have never known how lovable my fear really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.