• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you care if Jesus was ugly?

Would you care if Jesus was ugly?

• Yes. That would be an insult.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • No. But I think he is.

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • No. It does not matter at all...

Votes: 48 81.4%

• Total voters

Worshipper

He then wandered the desert . . . fasting
Actually, he didn't do so much fasting. That was one of the things that his detractors criticized him for. He was frequently at feasts and parties and things. He also taught his followers not to fast while we was around, and was criticized for that, too.

He did a spectacular 40-day fast after he was baptized. But that's about it. Not a big faster.

blackout

Violet.
Sin is spiritual toxicity.

If Y'shua was without sin,
I believe it should follow in the flesh, that
passing gas, bowel movements and the like
would have had no "parallel".

"Eliminating" one's toxicity is definately not a "pretty" thing.
(however necessary it is)

arthra

Baha'i
Worshipper wrote above:

He did a spectacular 40-day fast after he was baptized. But that's about it. Not a big faster.

He fasted forty days and nights... is what the scripture says if I recall:

See:

"After fasting for 40 days and 40 nights, he finally became hungry."

- Matthew 4:2

This was a parallel to Prophet Moses:

Exodus 34:28

So he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did not eat bread or drink water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments.

Worshipper

Yeah, sorry for the confusion. For me, a day is very rarely anything but a 24-hour period, so I was including the day and the night. Also, when Mormons fast for a day, it tends to be for a 24-hour period (though there's a lot of difference of opinion on whether that's necessary or not). So when I think of fasting for a number of days, I think of those days as being uninterrupted 24-hour periods with no food or drink whatsoever.

I am aware of other religious traditions where fasting doesn't necessarily include nighttime abstinence. I should have considered that when I posted. Sorry for the confusion.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Wow, all this talk of beauty. Has anyone ever stopped to think perhaps it is our perception that is flawed? Even if Jesus were to look like that picture maybe that is exactly what god held as extremely beautiful. We are humans...struck by physical desires and therefore find certain physical attributes more desirable than others. Doesn't mean that those particular attributes are what a god would find beautiful.

.lava

Veteran Member
oh so beauty is physical thing...no way...who cares for the shape of an eye if its sight was evil. besides, ugliness that i would see could only be reflection of my inner world from that flawless mirror, Jesus (PBUH) himself.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Physical beauty IS a physical thing. That's what people are discussing here. A person's warmth and compassion, their personality itself, may be very beautiful, but it is a different kind of beauty. A beauty that has nothing to do with the color of one's eyes, hair, or skin tone.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
For those who accept that Psalm 22 is prophecy concerning the coming of Jesus, it is clear that the people of his day were not expected to find him attractive.

Psalm 22 NIV

1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Why are you so far from saving me,
so far from the words of my groaning?
2 O my God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer,
by night, and am not silent.
3 Yet you are enthroned as the Holy One;
you are the praise of Israel. [a]
4 In you our fathers put their trust;
they trusted and you delivered them.
5 They cried to you and were saved;
in you they trusted and were not disappointed.
6 But I am a worm and not a man,
scorned by men and despised by the people.
7 All who see me mock me;
they hurl insults, shaking their heads:
8 "He trusts in the LORD;
let the LORD rescue him.
Let him deliver him,
since he delights in him."
9 Yet you brought me out of the womb;
you made me trust in you
even at my mother's breast.
10 From birth I was cast upon you;
from my mother's womb you have been my God.
11 Do not be far from me,
for trouble is near
and there is no one to help.
12 Many bulls surround me;
strong bulls of Bashan encircle me.
13 Roaring lions tearing their prey
open their mouths wide against me.
14 I am poured out like water,
and all my bones are out of joint.
My heart has turned to wax;
it has melted away within me.
15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd,
and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth;
you lay me [b] in the dust of death.
16 Dogs have surrounded me;
a band of evil men has encircled me,
they have pierced [c] my hands and my feet.
17 I can count all my bones;
people stare and gloat over me.
18 They divide my garments among them
and cast lots for my clothing.
19 But you, O LORD, be not far off;
O my Strength, come quickly to help me.
20 Deliver my life from the sword,
my precious life from the power of the dogs.
21 Rescue me from the mouth of the lions;
save [d] me from the horns of the wild oxen.
22 I will declare your name to my brothers;
in the congregation I will praise you.
23 You who fear the LORD, praise him!
All you descendants of Jacob, honor him!
Revere him, all you descendants of Israel!
24 For he has not despised or disdained
the suffering of the afflicted one;
he has not hidden his face from him
but has listened to his cry for help.
25 From you comes the theme of my praise in the great assembly;
before those who fear you [e] will I fulfill my vows.
26 The poor will eat and be satisfied;
they who seek the LORD will praise him—
may your hearts live forever!
27 All the ends of the earth
will remember and turn to the LORD,
and all the families of the nations
will bow down before him,
28 for dominion belongs to the LORD
and he rules over the nations.
29 All the rich of the earth will feast and worship;
all who go down to the dust will kneel before him—
those who cannot keep themselves alive.
30 Posterity will serve him;
future generations will be told about the Lord. 31 They will proclaim his righteousness
to a people yet unborn—
for he has done it.

Izdaari

Emergent Anglo-Catholic
jesus_bbc.jpg

...Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the son of God himself, Jesus Christ. I believe that this is the scientific image that you were referring to.
That seems plausible enough. Not ugly, just very ordinary and Middle Eastern. He wouldn't draw a second look anywhere. And that's not too out of line with how I'd picture him.

One thing that strikes me about all the accounts of Jesus: not once is his physical appearance mentioned. And it isn't just that writers didn't describe people in those days - in the OT they often did, mentioning that Joseph was a very handsome young man and that Potiphar's wife thought he was hot, and that Samson had very long hair and probably what we today would call dreadlocks. But Jesus is never described. The most likely conclusion is that his appearance was not very unusual in any way.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Well, if Jesus is god then it's crucial he be comely and pleasing to the eye so as to symbolize his inner beauty and mental/emotional health.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Well, if Jesus is god then it's crucial he be comely and pleasing to the eye so as to symbolize his inner beauty and mental/emotional health.

But then again there is the relative subjective nature of perspective, this from...

Isaiah 53.2.
"For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him."

Perhaps in this context, Jesus's non-comeliness and lack of beauty to the eye symbolizes his inner soul anguish* and sad mental/emotional state**.

* Isaiah 53.11. "He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities."

** Isaiah 53.7. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth."

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
jesus_bbc.jpg

...Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the son of God himself, Jesus Christ. I believe that this is the scientific image that you were referring to.

He kind of looks like Zero Mostel.

I saw this show and really, it doesn't mean anything. They were just recreating the image of what they supposed to be a typical 1st Cent. Judean.

Unless every Jewish man in Palistine looked exactly like this, it doesn't give us any clue as to what Jesus looked like.

CaptainBritain

Well I cant see that it matters what he looked like, Jesus purpose was not to audition for Americas got talent or sell moisturiser, he was given up as a sacrifice, to pay our price for us.
A cool hair cut and a square jaw would not be any help in that.
He acheived his purpose, and has plenty of followers regardless.

The picture posted is not ugly, infact its the spitting image of me nearly, so if the picture is ugly then so am I, but i always did very well with the ladies before i was born again and I have a very beautifull wife now, so it cant have been much of a handicap.

The fact is that we will never know with any one hundred percent certainty what Jesus looked like in this life but we will all get the chance to in the next life thanks to him.

Squaell

Pretty ? in spiritual real it don't have any value... so you are talking about nothing.
So for me it is not important how he looks like , important is how he is like.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Jesus has always been portrayed as a babe. I bet Mary Magdelene was the biblical times Heidi Klum. Back in the day though, i bet they didn't have raunchy Guitar hero ads.