• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you care if Jesus was ugly?

Would you care if Jesus was ugly?

• Yes. That would be an insult.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • No. But I think he is.

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • No. It does not matter at all...

Votes: 48 81.4%

• Total voters

rojse

RF Addict
How come so many people on here are so shallow? I didn't even start the thread, but I really expected better since most people are quite tolerant.

If he is Jesus, shouldn't his deeds and words matter more than his appearance? Quite apart from the miracles, he fed the homeless, preached kindness and charity, and so many other things that his appearance shouldn't really matter. Or has everyone wholeheartedly brought into the shallow and superficial ideals that our current society espouses?

I've just had a thought, and I'm not deleting what I wrote previous. What if God made Jesus somewhat less than beautiful in order to make people reconsider their shallow behaviours?

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
jesus_bbc.jpg

...Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the son of God himself, Jesus Christ. I believe that this is the scientific image that you were referring to.

Actually, he looks better than I would have thought! I always viewed him as the Orthodox Christians paint him. It seems more realistic, but has that greek uno-brow flavor LOL! So yeah, this looks nicer than what I thought he did.

I mean, if he came onto the scene looking white, people would think he was a freak, lol. Of course he looked Jewish! dur!

raffyv

its been a long time since i've been in this site..

While I was the one who started this thread, I did not think that there will be quite a few who honestly believed that Jesus SHOULD be beautiful.. for those who would argue about the arbitrary nature of beauty, please, let it rest.. You know what I mean. (Does Jesus have to be aesthetically pleasing if He was truly the Son of God?) (Does He have to be hot? sexy? whatever-you-want..)

The fact that some of the people in this forum here, who I would assume to be taking more rational views on religion, would give Jesus the requirement of physical beauty suggests that a whole lot of lay Christians are doing the same!

Danmac

Actually scripture teaches that he was not so attractive.....

Isaiah53: 2 For he grew up before him like a young plant, and like a root out of dry ground; he had no form or comeliness that we should look at him, and no beauty that we should desire him.

Midnight Pete

Interesting question. Is Jesus not supposed to be perfect like his Father in Heaven?

A perfect human being, a reflection of his Father, who is unseen. But "perfect" doesn't necessarily refer to physical attractiveness. I heard someone say that had Jesus looked like one of those Hollywood prettyboys (Brad Pitt, Leo DiCaprio, etc.) it would have been too distracting. And had he been born with a face only a mother could love, again it would have distracting. So maybe he was just average, nondescript-looking. Not Brad Pitt, not Quasimodo or Gary Busey or Iggy Pop.

Midnight Pete

Actually scripture teaches that he was not so attractive.....

Isaiah53: 2 For he grew up before him like a young plant, and like a root out of dry ground; he had no form or comeliness that we should look at him, and no beauty that we should desire him.

Do you think that means Jesus was ugly? Personally, I think the very idea is an insult. I'm not at all surpised by the absence of disrespectful questions about the Prophet Mohammed on RF.

ZooGirl02

It wouldn't matter to me at all. And besides, who is to say what is ugly and what is not? We are all beautiful in God's eyes in my opinion. Also, one person might be ugly in one's eyes but beautiful in another person's eyes.

no-body

Jesus was enlightened, his physical appearance dosen't matter one whit because he was always "now" which made his essence beautiful, even if he where a horrible deformed troll it wouldn't matter.

Bereanz

I always picture him as very beautiful, but that's contrary to the Bible: "he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him" (Isaiah 53:2).

I suspect even the picture UnityNow posted is probably too attractive to be an accurate depiction of the mortal Jesus.

I find that to be particularly touching about the absolute humility of God to make Himself (in human form) to be physically un-attractive especially when I consider that He could, easily, have done quite the opposite. I love the Lord. :yes:

paolops181

God rules!
It is not important wether he's ugly or not because when judgment day comes it is not all about appearance that we will be judge but its all about what you have done on earth.

uu_sage

Jesus's appearance wouldn't matter to me one bit. All that matters to me is his scandalous acts of inclusion and his teachings.

Danmac

Not if one were were blind......

John 9:41 "If you had been blind," replied Jesus, "you would have had no sin to answer for; but, as it is, you say 'We can see,' and so your sin remains.

jojo50

There was an image of Jesus that scientists produced based on the skull of a 2000 yr-old jewish male. While it was not really ugly, it was a far cry from the Jesus of Italian painting and certainly did not look like Caviezel.
I showed the picture to two of my aunts (both were Roman Catholic), and they were very offended. They told me that they view Jesus as the "perfect man".. in all aspects.
I would like to remind/enlighten you that it is said in the Bible (a prophecy from Isaiah) that Christ was very plain-looking.. And while many people entertain the thought of a handsome Jesus, the real Jesus would not probably warrant a second look..
Saying that Jesus SHOULD look good would be very discriminatory. It is akin to saying that an ugly person can never be good.

i seen a show like that on NATgo. when i was a teen...(years ago), i seen many picrures of what Jesus suppose to look like,(blonde hair,blue eyes).for some reason,i didn't think he look that way. though i didn't know much about the spiritual and Heavenly world. but even then i didn't care what this Jesus looked like.though i now know,i still don't care. it's what he's done for humans that makes me hold much love for him. peace