• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you care if Jesus was ugly?

Would you care if Jesus was ugly?

• Yes. That would be an insult.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • No. But I think he is.

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • No. It does not matter at all...

Votes: 48 81.4%

• Total voters

raffyv

There was an image of Jesus that scientists produced based on the skull of a 2000 yr-old jewish male. While it was not really ugly, it was a far cry from the Jesus of Italian painting and certainly did not look like Caviezel.

I showed the picture to two of my aunts (both were Roman Catholic), and they were very offended. They told me that they view Jesus as the "perfect man".. in all aspects.

I would like to remind/enlighten you that it is said in the Bible (a prophecy from Isaiah) that Christ was very plain-looking.. And while many people entertain the thought of a handsome Jesus, the real Jesus would not probably warrant a second look..

Saying that Jesus SHOULD look good would be very discriminatory. It is akin to saying that an ugly person can never be good.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Wasn't humility, not vanity, one of the values Jesus embodied? Wouldn't it be the spirit and not the flesh that's really supposed to be pure and perfect?

UnityNow101

jesus_bbc.jpg

...Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the son of God himself, Jesus Christ. I believe that this is the scientific image that you were referring to.

Last edited:

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder and the believer, and if you aren't doing either one then what does it matter? ;) Do you choose to love someone on appearance only? No when the inside is beautiful then it definitely shows on the outside.

Makaveli

Homoioi
The masses of the world like following pretty people more than they like following ugly ones. No one wants to think that their savour is ugly.

Worshipper

I always picture him as very beautiful, but that's contrary to the Bible: "he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him" (Isaiah 53:2).

I suspect even the picture UnityNow posted is probably too attractive to be an accurate depiction of the mortal Jesus.

arthra

Baha'i
I saw the "scientific" image of Jesus awhile based on "educated" gueswork.. and we all know the more well know images of Jesus in paintings and so on..

Of the movies I've seen the physical portrayal of what Judas would have looked like is usually what I would guess Jesus would have appeared to be.

But I think all this suggests to me that images of Jesus are inappropriate. Because what would seem ugly to one person may seem beautiful to another and there are all sorts of racial and cultural overlays involved.

- Art

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I have never judged anyone by their appearance and I certainly wouldn't start now. Beauty comes from within, not on the outside.
Since Jesus was a Jewish man in The Middle East 2 millennia ago, it would be safe to assume that He would look like one. He wouldn't look like the "Hollywood Jesus" by any means. :)

TurkeyOnRye

For all we know, he could've been ugly as mule and smelled twice as bad, but we just don't really know, do we? Assuming Jesus existed and he was the messiah of Jehovah, I would think his appearance would be absolutely 100% irrelevant to his life's purposes.

For those who claim Jesus as perfect, I'd take it one step further; we're all perfect.

Random

And by the way, that picture posted is not even ugly.

:areyoucra Christine, that picture is rotten ugly, please...

If you're an intellectually honest Christian, and do not appreciate dualism of body and soul, you have to conclude that Jesus Christ was perfect in his unity of both - soul and body. Thus, both were perfect - and concomitantly, beautiful. No?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
If you go by that all people are beautiful. I read in a book once that "love is a great beautifier" (I can't remember which book). I found that to be true. I can meet someone who at first may look unattractive by can look beautiful later on when I get to know the person.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Exactly. I get irritated when I see a man with blue eyes playing the role of Jesus in some films.

The prettiest Hollywood Jesus' are Jeffrey Hunter (King of Kings, 1965) and Robert Powell (Jesus of Nazareth, 1977).

My mother once told me that Jesus would have looked more like Jamie Farr (Klinger on MASH). :D

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
:areyoucra Christine, that picture is rotten ugly, please...

If you're an intellectually honest Christian, and do not appreciate dualism of body and soul, you have to conclude that Jesus Christ was perfect in his unity of both - soul and body. Thus, both were perfect - and concomitantly, beautiful. No?

So go ahead and describe to us in detail what a physically "Perfect" Jesus would look like. Go on, do it.