• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you care if Jesus was ugly?

• Yes. That would be an insult.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • No. But I think he is.

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • No. It does not matter at all...

Votes: 48 81.4%

• Total voters

TurkeyOnRye

:areyoucra Christine, that picture is rotten ugly, please...

If you're an intellectually honest Christian, and do not appreciate dualism of body and soul, you have to conclude that Jesus Christ was perfect in his unity of both - soul and body. Thus, both were perfect - and concomitantly, beautiful. No?

That's just not logical. Perfection of body and spirit have nothing to do with one another.

Perception of physical beauty is a purely human trait. Why would god care at all about the appearance of Jesus? If anything, I would think that god would downplay his appearance to further allow his inner beauty to shine through.

Worshipper

what would seem ugly to one person may seem beautiful to another and there are all sorts of racial and cultural overlays involved.
Good point! Maybe he was ugly to the Jews of His time — skin like cream, hair like gold, eyes like sapphires, tall and lanky — completely unlike normal people and totally misshapen and miscolored!

:D

raffyv

I am very relieved that most people (at least in this forum) do not care at all about Jesus' physical appearance. Perhaps my aunt was just one of those rare exceptions who consider any doubt on His physical perfection to be an insult to Christianity.

Personally, I think it would have been LOTS better if Jesus was (forgive me) butt-ugly.. It would imply that despite a hideous outward appearance, His message and His presence was still powerful enough to make believers out of many. An ugly Jesus would warrant more respect and adoration than a physically appealing Jesus.

Heneni

Miss Independent
You would think, if he is the true son of god, he should be beautiful

Would be an interesting scientific investigation...what would a person have to look like so that EVERYBODY would agree that he is beautiful, or at least not ugly.

They have done some studies in this regard and from what I can recall, the studies showed that people who's eyes are far apart from each other, for example, are more likely to be considered beautiful.

herushura

Would be an interesting scientific investigation...what would a person have to look like so that EVERYBODY would agree that he is beautiful, or at least not ugly.

They have done some studies in this regard and from what I can recall, the studies showed that people who's eyes are far apart from each other, for example, are more likely to be considered beautiful.

_images_StewieGriffin2.jpg

Like Stewie Griffin with his eyes wide apart

raffyv

You would think, if he is the true son of god, he should be beautiful

If he were the true Son of God, then he would have no need for physical beauty.. What influence has the outward appearance of a man to his value and quality as a human being?

Do you think that the Devil is ugly? The Devil is more likely to be beautiful than the Lord Himself for he will play to our prejudice against those who are not beautiful. If you cannot accept the possibility that someone ugly can be as good and as just as Jesus was, you are implying that only the beautiful can be good.

I hope and pray that you are one good-looking person.

blackout

Violet.

I wouldn't care if the Pope was ugly!

Uhhhhhh..... right.....:run:

:)sorry1: I absolutely couldn't help myself):biglaugh:

Last edited:

Random

Do you not think aesthetic "perfection" varies from period to period, culture to culture, person to person?

It does, yes, at least on the level of society and individuals.

Father Heathen said:
And don't you think such shallow, superficial trivialities would be beneath god and truly pious men?

You seem to be convinced the Good cannot also be Beautiful. This is a limitation - if God by his own graces cannnot be Good and Beautiful without conflict, who can?

As for "pious men", you would expect such characters to deny fervently any suggestion that the truly wholesome have their inner beauty reflected in their outer beauty. Of course, you would expect that...

But it doesn't matter ultimately.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
You seem to be convinced the Good cannot also be Beautiful.

Sure it can, but it would be irrelevant. It would be like saying someone who is extremely beautiful or handsome cannot possibly be evil. Like someone's moral character can be fixed or ruined as easily as going to the plastic surgeon or a getting vial of acid in the face.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
If you think about it, a 33 year old carpenter of 2,000 years ago would likely have been very well built, probably scarred from the tools of his trade and the inevitable accidents he would have.
Considering he was from Galilee and of a fairly poor background, he'd probably be unkempt and infested with various parasites. He then wandered the desert teaching and fasting for an unknown number of years prior to turning up at the river Jordan.

He wouldn't be the "pretty boy" that passes for today's concept of the beautiful man. But then would waif-like feminine looking men be deemed as attractive 2,000 years ago, or would they have been considered weak?