• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Words Becoming Strange &/or Obsolete

MNoBody

hey, the door to the theater is ajar, let's watch the moovy-talky-picture show.....:cool:
calling 'em movie's , we should call them talkies then tooo_O

Milton Platt

Inner tube? Shome mishtake, shurely?

I gather sales of those have boomed during the virus countermeasures: Forget bikes: inner tubes were cycling's lock down 'must have' product, with 1800 per cent sales jump in April

They appear to have a bright future, as we become more health-conscious and try to decarbonise the economy.
Yes, they are still in use, but in spite of temporary spikes for bicycles, their use has diminished. Most other tires in use (vast majority) no longer use tubes. I think in the future, tubeless might come to dominate bicycle tires as well. The jury is still out on that one, though.The problem, of course, lies in the spoked rim.
Yeah, I can see all those long neglected bikes stored in the garage being spiffed up and put back on the road.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, they are still in use, but in spite of temporary spikes for bicycles, their use has diminished. Most other tires in use (vast majority) no longer use tubes. I think in the future, tubeless might come to dominate bicycle tires as well. The jury is still out on that one, though.The problem, of course, lies in the spoked rim.
Yeah, I can see all those long neglected bikes stored in the garage being spiffed up and put back on the road.
Inner tubes, carburetors, points, & timing lights will
always be with us in vintage machinery.
Note that tire has changed....it once meant the iron
band around wooden wheels. Now few can imagine
it as anything but rubber.

Milton Platt

Inner tubes, carburetors, points, & timing lights will
always be with us in vintage machinery.
Note that tire has changed....it once meant the iron
band around wooden wheels. Now few can imagine
it as anything but rubber.
I can’t even imagine riding down a rutted trail on iron rims. My kidneys begin to hurt just thinking about it. The pioneers had more grit than I could possibly muster.

exchemist

Veteran Member
It's indeed the spoked wheel. I don't see that disappearing in the near future, for everyday bikes, at least. With the green revolution gathering steam in our cities in Europe, the humble bicycle looks as if it will play a bigger part in our lives. The Dutch were right all along.;) But there is no doubt the avoidance of public transport during the epidemic has accelerated the trend. All the bike shops have been running out of stock, both of new bikes and of parts to get old neglected bikes back on the road.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
But "film" is or has become an obsolete technology.
I doubt film will ever be truly obsolete. You can do things with film that you can't with digital and it provides a different aesthetic experience. Anyone who watches movies enough can tell you that movies look different when shot on film or digitally, and most probably will prefer film.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I doubt film will ever be truly obsolete. You can do things with film that you can't with digital and it provides a different aesthetic experience. Anyone who watches movies enough can tell you that movies look different when shot on film or digitally, and most probably will prefer film.
I too am a fan of retro tech....but language will evolve.
You & I will be seen as codgers dwelling in the past.
Hey, at least you started at an early age!

MNoBody

dragon-teeth do not work so well on tubeless tires.....

Milton Platt

It's indeed the spoked wheel. I don't see that disappearing in the near future, for everyday bikes, at least. With the green revolution gathering steam in our cities in Europe, the humble bicycle looks as if it will play a bigger part in our lives. The Dutch were right all along.;) But there is no doubt the avoidance of public transport during the epidemic has accelerated the trend. All the bike shops have been running out of stock, both of new bikes and of parts to get old neglected bikes back on the road.

It's good that folks are getting more exercise. Once the pandemic is under control, most of those bikes will be gathering dust in the garage, abandoned for the trusty SUV, though. Not saying that's a good thing....