• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Words Becoming Strange &/or Obsolete

MNoBody

I have to be honest, I've only ever heard native English speakers go on about how hard English allegedly is. Those I've talked to who learned it as a second language tend to say it's not that hard. (And I don't pronounce women as "wimen")
I have heard people who were learning english who mentioned these curiosities..some struggled with the nuances, others figured it out easier.....Based on a fairly broad spectrum of the demographic over decades, so who knows..... language is weird in the first place, some more than others is all.

Milton Platt

I noticed a Wikipedia entry that used the term, "film", eschewing the term "movie".
But "film" is or has become an obsolete technology.
"Movie" isn't rooted in anything so dated.
Also "film" sounds so pretentious.
It should die.

What have you found?

Potential words that are dead or dying:

carburetor
typewriter
inner tube
penny

Milton Platt

Pennies are still a common currency in circulation, and innertubes are a common pool toy.

Yes, but increasingly not so. Usually the inner tube has been replaced by a floaty shaped like a doughnut or inner tube. Yes, pennies are still around as are carbs, on older vehicles and small engines. My point was that pennies are on the way out because it costs more to mint them than they are actually worth.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Yes, but increasingly not so. Usually the inner tube has been replaced by a floaty shaped like a doughnut or inner tube. Yes, pennies are still around as are carbs, on older vehicles and small engines. My point was that pennies are on the way out because it costs more to mint them than they are actually worth.
True. I can see "a penny for your thoughts" living on, though.

Gargovic Malkav

I noticed a Wikipedia entry that used the term, "film", eschewing the term "movie".
But "film" is or has become an obsolete technology.
"Movie" isn't rooted in anything so dated.
Also "film" sounds so pretentious.
It should die.

What have you found?

In my native language "film" is THE word we use for "movie".
In English I tend to use the two words interchangeably.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I have noticed that Americans tend to say bottle instead of jar when it deals with

Jjjj620.jpg

Last edited:

Gargovic Malkav

I have noticed that Anericans tend to say bottle instead of jar when it deals with jars

I've also heard there may be some funny misunderstandings when terms such as "thong" or "fanny pack" are used in Australia while dealing with foreigners who have learned another variety of English.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Yes me too. The local cinema is the Clapham Picture House, where they speak of showing films. Not a "movie" in sight.

So it's just another of these different usages on either side of the Atlantic.
To be fair, it's two differing products. Films are aimed at adults whereas movies are aimed at teenagers. ((Hides behind sofa))

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Potential words that are dead or dying:

carburetor
typewriter
inner tube
penny
"Typewriter" once referred to the person doing the typing, rather than to
the machine itself.
The penny is doomed to go out of existence due to inexorable currency
devaluation (inflation). And the nickel is nervously looking over its shoulder.
(The other coins are jokingly calling it the "modern half pence".

exchemist

Veteran Member
Last edited: