• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Words Becoming Strange &/or Obsolete

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I noticed a Wikipedia entry that used the term, "film", eschewing the term "movie".
But "film" is or has become an obsolete technology.
"Movie" isn't rooted in anything so dated.
Also "film" sounds so pretentious.
It should die.

What have you found?

Methinks you have something here, I don't know what but you have.

My english language isnt the best in the world, my ignorance of some words, particularly obscure words has caused more than one frackus. So i have taken to occasionally refering to...

Archaic words that used to be common ... | Lexico

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I also still say "Asperger's." It gives people a more clear picture, even if it's horridly warped, than saying I'm autistic.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I too don't like film. Film is a bunch of different things. Movie is a movie. An odd word, but I concluded as a kid that at least it has an odd conjuration for move, and movies are moving pictures, so it works.
I don't like the turning they into a singular pronoun.
I don't like "man crap" like "man sandals;" "man hug;" "man purse," "man bun" (I just hate the existence of those); "man thong;" or "manties."
I don't like how "hack" gets applied to basically everything that is not hacking or hacking related.
I don't like how the word "experience" is everywhere now.
I don't like advertising language, spelling, and grammar abuses. It is "drive through" not "drive thru."
I don't like that every so often we're not supposed to say certain things anymore and say other words instead. It really is the context and meaning that counts, because we are capable of turning anything into an insult and demeaning word. Even if it's made up on the spot. Even if it's normally a compliment. We're good at that.
"Thru" is an improvement over "through"....more compact....less effort.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
"Thru" is an improvement over "through"....more compact....less effort.
No, it's lazy. If you want stuff that makes sense and is mostly efficient use German. English is not the language for such things. Even the English are resistant to it in their English with their "colours" and "armour."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No, it's lazy. If you want stuff that makes sense and is mostly efficient use German. English is not the language for such things. Even the English are resistant to it in their English with their "colours" and "armour."
Lazy is good when it improves things.
English is much more efficient than German.
One reason they keep losing wars is the difficulty of communication.
Their words & sentences are so long that they often die before the
listener discovers the verb at the end.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Lazy is good when it improves things.
English is much more efficient than German.
One reason they keep losing wars is the difficulty of communication.
Their words & sentences are so long that they often die before the
listener discovers the verb at the end.
While Americans can't figure out if English lives or if it's live. We don't even know if it's wind or wind. And no one knows what I meant with that sentence. Did I use both? One or the other? Is the executor executing laws or executing people? I don't even know.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
While Americans can't figure out if English lives or if it's live. We don't even know if it's wind or wind. And no one knows what I meant with that sentence. Did I use both? One or the other? Is the executor executing laws or executing people? I don't even know.
Context is informative.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Context is informative.
Yup. Which is a problem with English.
With Japanese it's so much better that in their language they'll drop and omit redundancies from their speech. That too is a feature of efficiency that far outshines English.
English is basically only good at taking in words of other languages, the ability to create new words, conjugations, and adjective endings, and it can especially be a very colorful, creative, and playful language. But it just doesn't express much emotion.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'm still struggling as to how the word gay went from happy to being homosexual.

Also why *** is censored here, but in the UK it just means a cigarette.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yup. Which is a problem with English.
With Japanese it's so much better that in their language they'll drop and omit redundancies from their speech. That too is a feature of efficiency that far outshines English.
English is basically only good at taking in words of other languages, the ability to create new words, conjugations, and adjective endings, and it can especially be a very colorful, creative, and playful language. But it just doesn't express much emotion.
English is great at some things......
- Spreading.
- Easy to learn basics.
- Less rigid than some (eg, French).
- Good at technical things.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I stopped saying "pop" and started saying "soda" long before I moved out of Indiana. But it still felt weird when I did move here and other people were saying soda after so many years of hearing pop and coke (as in Southern "little c" coke that means all of them).
Me, too. "Pop" always sounded goofy to my ears, and using a specific brand name in a general, generic sense is just dumb. "My Ford broke down." "Your Ford Ford, or Chevy Ford?" Aahdurrrr....

MNoBody

weirdSpelling02.jpg
ghoti.jpg
some examples:)