• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why there should be no female clergy in any Christian church.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
The Holy Bible says so. A woman may teach Sunday school as that is authority over only children. A woman may become a nun or a Christian layperson and do good Christian works. A woman can't preach to grown men.

A woman may not lawfully be ordained into any Christian ministry according to Jesus Christ. His original twelve disciples were all male. A woman may not administer any liturgical sacrament as baptism or holy communion.

1 Corinthians 14:35-36 King James Version (KJV)

35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

36 What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?

1 Timothy 2:11-12 King James Version (KJV)
11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

1 Timothy 3:2 King James Version (KJV)
2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen said this was the reason women cannot be priests:
See video starting at mark 20:00 ......

.......because...it is man who gives the seed. The Lord says the Word is the Seed.

THE MAN PROVIDES IT. THE WOMAN RECEIVES IT.
Good makings for an atheist.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The Holy Bible says so. A woman may teach Sunday school as that is authority over only children. A woman may become a nun or a Christian layperson and do good Christian works. A woman can't preach to grown men.

A woman may not lawfully be ordained into any Christian ministry according to Jesus Christ. His original twelve disciples were all male. A woman may not administer any liturgical sacrament as baptism or holy communion.
I have a different theory.

I looked at the video. He kept making a logical mistake in saying that the word is the seed which comes from the man. Gen 3:15 says the seed of the woman bruises the head of the serpent, which Romans 16:20 is the God of peace crushing the satan under the church's feet. In that illustration the woman has seed just as a man does. The imagery is ambiguous.

The reason why men are priests is that they are the usual cause of distrust and violence. It therefore falls to them to make peace. Notice it is the Levite whose descendants are denied land and who must be the butcher for the Israelites, because Levi was an angry man. He failed to reign in his anger and brought trouble upon Jacob. The Levites were charged from then on with the task of making peace, feeding the poor and educating. Similarly the man must be the priest of his household. It is men whom Jesus blames for divorce, despite the Law saying "If a man finds a flaw in his wife." (see Matthew 19:8) It is up to a man, therefore, to make peace in the home according to Jesus.

This is why men are charged with all peacekeeping actions. Why, then, does Paul say he doesn't allow a woman to teach a man? Textually he says Eve was deceived but Adam was not. Some feminists think this is misogyny, but I cannot comment on that, yet. What I think is Paul is showing us a little of how the story is interpreted. Cain was his brother's keeper, because he was angry with his brother. The man must be a priest, because his heart becomes hard. The Levite must become the priest, because his father was a killer. Thus the man is caused to teach, because he in some way is responsible for the serpent's lie according to Paul. I don't know if Paul gets this from a Jewish tradition or what.

Practically a feminist will still point out the men have dominated women in the RC hierarchy and that their voices are not heard. That may be, and I can't answer that charge.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

Yeah, we get it, the old church leaders were down with a complete sausage-fest -- of course, that has nothing to do with the fact that in modern times most Catholic priests are closeted gay men. (And, it was likely real popular in ancient times as well...) Hmm...

Other denominations have had female ministers for a long while, so they're like over this. The better question is, why aren't you?

QuestioningMind

35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

.......because...it is man who gives the seed. The Lord says the Word is the Seed.

Thanks for providing yet another example of why, if in fact the Christian God of the bible is real, that this God isn't a God worthy of my worship.

How about doing your next OP on how God says it's okay to own other people as property?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

This is a great example of:

1) Taking some scripture at the expense of others
2) Not understanding the culture of the time and how to implement scripture
3) Not understanding Greek.

It is why people get turned of to the love of Christ.

Diamond

This is only one of the many reasons why I don't believe the bible is real.Doesn't make any sense what so ever.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
what would yall do without the mighty bible?would you let woman be in charge then?
Heaven forbid!! We will find another reason to keep our club going. Hmm, perhaps a switch to Islam.

heman1__70185.1527278255.jpg

exchemist

Veteran Member

This bishop died 40 years ago.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Well that was delightfully sexist. Excuse me while I return to the year 2019.

The world does not dictate my role in this life. My Creator does. Since he never changes, unlike humans whose standards swing between two extremes, I like to stay somewhere in the middle.....a very balanced place to be. Gender exists for a reason. I understand the reason, and I agree with it.

I don't love this world at all and have no desire to emulate its standards (or lack of them). We all have the freedom to choose how to live....for now.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
The world does not dictate my role in this life. My Creator does. Since he never changes, unlike humans whose standards swing between two extremes, I like to stay somewhere in the middle.....a very balanced place to be. Gender exists for a reason. I understand the reason, and I agree with it.

I don't love this world at all and have no desire to emulate its standards (or lack of them). We all have the freedom to choose how to live....for now.
Mmk. I prefer not to emulate sexist chauvinists, disguised as religious people.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Do you also believe that women are just incubators for the man's sperm until it grows into a baby in the woman's belly like the idiots who taught that nonsense because they couldn't see the woman's eggs??? Women are not merely passive, biologically or otherwise.

David T

Premium Member

Seems gay.

Katja

You know, come to think of it, I think your right.
Yeah, I had to go back and look... it was just last month, in fact. Why women shouldn't be ordained in any Christian church. (Christian)

Guess he was hoping for different answers this time?

Textually he says Eve was deceived but Adam was not.
Well, it's true. Eve was at least tricked and talked into it. Adam? Didn't even question it-- Eve said "Hey, eat this!" and he said, "Okay!"

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, it's true. Eve was at least tricked and talked into it. Adam? Didn't even question it-- Eve said "Hey, eat this!" and he said, "Okay!"
Men can be deceived, too. We're talking about Pauline types which are not fully explained. The deception seems further alluded to in Romans 7 where Paul says "...For sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, deceived me,..." yet Paul is not female, so its not about male and female. Its about types, otherwise men could not be deceived. The reason men are priests is not stated. Its not put forward in a scripture verse. The question remains what does Paul mean when he says he doesn't allow a woman to teach a man? Does he mean we shouldn't? The OP has not answered this but has instead offered a formalism. Men can be deceived, so it appears the meaning is something else than "Women are deceived, but men aren't deceived."