• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why there should be no female clergy in any Christian church.

sooda

Veteran Member
All this stuff was said by Paul, someone who had never even met Jesus and had fought against his institution in the beginning.

I don't think Christianity as taught by Jesus was against the empowerment of women to leadership roles. That also reminds one of the medieval minded Taliban and ISIS.

The Prajapita Brahmakumaris is a monotheistic religion that is led, administered and taught by women, with centres in almost every country in the world.

The success of this spiritual institution shows that religious and spiritual leadership need not be a males only domain.

Obviously spiritual values like love, compassion ,peace and empathy comes natural to women than egoistic men who have used religion for formenting conflict and disharmony for many centuries to the present day.

I think it is high time we had female popes, imams, rabbis and ayatollah's and then there might be a better possibility of peace, love and harmony to prevail.

Perhaps that's why so many men love and respect women and commit to providing and protectingr women and their offspring.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Late bronze age, but in this case the men are charged with teaching the children. That is part of what the OP is overlooking. The men are supposed to teach the children, and they are in charge of adoption, too. Hence its irresponsible for the minister to leave this out. The explanation given is unfortunately vapid.

Depends on where you were, it took the iron age about 400 years from around 1200bc in the east to around 800bc to reach northern europe

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Depends on where you were, it took the iron age about 400 years from around 1200bc in the east to around 800bc to reach northern europe
Thanks for that info. You know how dangerous technology can be, and people have always feared it. Governments fear it for various reasons, so people both want to hide it and reject it. Thus iron tech probably ( I am guessing ) would not spread quickly compared to a food recipe. A recipe for food I think would have spread much faster into Europe, or a joke or something less threatening.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Thanks for that info. You know how dangerous technology can be, and people have always feared it. Governments fear it for various reasons, so people both want to hide it and reject it. Thus iron tech probably ( I am guessing ) would not spread quickly compared to a food recipe. A recipe for food I think would have spread much faster into Europe, or a joke or something less threatening.

Not far out. Both "use of weapons"* and culinary utensils (cooking pots) spread the technology.

*Good book, rather dark in places.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
The Holy Bible says so. A woman may teach Sunday school as that is authority over only children. A woman may become a nun or a Christian layperson and do good Christian works. A woman can't preach to grown men.

A woman may not lawfully be ordained into any Christian ministry according to Jesus Christ. His original twelve disciples were all male. A woman may not administer any liturgical sacrament as baptism or holy communion.

1 Corinthians 14:35-36 King James Version (KJV)

35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

36 What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?

1 Timothy 2:11-12 King James Version (KJV)
11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

1 Timothy 3:2 King James Version (KJV)
2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen said this was the reason women cannot be priests:
See video starting at mark 20:00 ......

.......because...it is man who gives the seed. The Lord says the Word is the Seed.

THE MAN PROVIDES IT. THE WOMAN RECEIVES IT.

That was all Paul's drivvle.
Jesus didn't say such stuff.

You don't even subscribe to Paul!

Fortunately many churches are now ordaining women.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Nagging!!! Nagging!!! Pull you finger out, put down the beer and pizza, get your butt off the couch actually do something to help raise your progeny and the nagging suddenly disappears

You'ld think ha...
There's always something to nag about it seems.

But it's cool.

My aunt used to tell me: "Be glad that your wife nags you. A wife that doesn't nag, doesn't care. A wife that doesn't care, is a wife that you've lost already".

In a sense, she's correct! :)

So really, when my wife nags me, all I hear is "I love you so much sweetie!" :D

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Yeah, because those things matter much more than charity, compassion, fighting injustice and caring for the poor, orphans, widows and outcasts. Jesus certainly thought so, too. :rolleyes:

The babies:

* are cast out
* need charity
* need compassion
* should be in our fight
* etc.

How much do you give to charity before you tell me what I do with my life?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Even though I'm Catholic, I would like to see female priests being allowed, as well as there being a married priesthood for those who wish to be as such. The old restrictions were borne out of a different reality and different set of conditions.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The Holy Bible says so. A woman may teach Sunday school as that is authority over only children. A woman may become a nun or a Christian layperson and do good Christian works. A woman can't preach to grown men.

A woman may not lawfully be ordained into any Christian ministry according to Jesus Christ. His original twelve disciples were all male. A woman may not administer any liturgical sacrament as baptism or holy communion.

35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

.......because...it is man who gives the seed. The Lord says the Word is the Seed.

I believe this verse negates the others.
Gal 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Muffled

Jesus in me
..and people wonder why the Christian Church is dying out

I believe I could wonder if it is dying or going to Heaven. The worse this world gets the better Heaven looks. Also I believe there is a diminishing because the fence sitters are falling away. Jesus says He doesn't want lukewarm people anyway.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Um Dude, you don't get to force your ideas on anyone. Actually, according to the individual Priesthood of the Believer, there should be no clergy. Get off your butt and study for yourself.

I believe the concept of Priesthood of the Believer simply means a person is personally accountable to God but it does not mean that the person doesn't or shouldn't have leaders.
Acts 14:23 And when they had appointed elders for them in every church, with prayer and fasting they committed them to the Lord in whom they had believed.

Ellen Brown

I believe the concept of Priesthood of the Believer simply means a person is personally accountable to God but it does not mean that the person doesn't or shouldn't have leaders.
Acts 14:23 And when they had appointed elders for them in every church, with prayer and fasting they committed them to the Lord in whom they had believed.

I've had very painful experiences with leaders. At my age, it is not happening again.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I believe I could wonder if it is dying or going to Heaven. The worse this world gets the better Heaven looks. Also I believe there is a diminishing because the fence sitters are falling away. Jesus says He doesn't want lukewarm people anyway.
No, Heaven looks awful however you look at it.
Constantly praising god - as Christopher Hitchens once said, "It'll be like a celestial North Korea but at least in north Korea you escape it when you die"
All the good people - I don't want good people, I want rock stars and mavericks; and they won't be in Heaven.

tigrers2019

I believe the true reason that many hold to the OP title 'Why there should be no female clergy in any Christian Church' is due to the verse in 1 Peter 3:7 where it instructs the man to treat the woman in the relationship as being the weaker person. Some of the more modern Bible translations render the Koine Greek word (asthenes) weaker from (astheneia) meaning- weakness of human nature, proclivity to sin.

This may be why it seems out of character to see women in any leadership roles where men are involved in and out of the church. It is strange that this view was held in pagan pre-Christain and pagan post- Christian societies, but the women did hold leadership positions in their religions.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

This has to be one of the worst positions born of gross misapprehension I’ve ever seen. Stop wasting bandwidth, please.

Ellen Brown

"Affirmed Church". Hmmmm What would be your definition of one?

syo

I am nonabrahamic. I don't like how christians view females and males.