• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Hinduism

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It actually means "descent". It's not used anywhere in Vedic writings, only later in puranic writings. I don't know why other sects don't use it except that being only puranic may give a clue. The other Hindu sects don't place as much, if any, importance on puranic literature as Vaishnavism does. So maybe that's why, as I said, it's a uniquely Vaishnava concept or use.
Personally, I don't use it because it makes no sense to me. Why would God need to do that, when He/She already permeates everything? Why settle in an individual being, and an anthropomorphised one at that? But hey, whatever works.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Personally, I don't use it because it makes no sense to me. Why would God need to do that, when He/She already permeates everything? Why settle in an individual being, and an anthropomorphised one at that? But hey, whatever works.

Well, and there we have it. God exists in all places at all times. It's not used in the Bhagavad Gita. Krishna uses "appears", "manifests" and "form" (which don't translate as avatāra), but I never found avatāra itself in there.Though I can understand incarnating or taking on a human or theriomorphic form to move among us as one of us. Yet he still always existed in his divine form. That's why I prefer not to get too deep into theology and philosophy... it makes my brain hurt.

Terry Sampson

I believe its ancient rishis/sages reached mankind's deepest penetration into the nature of reality. Nothing in Abrahamic traditions or empirical science has reached this depth of understanding.
I'm inclined to disagree and to think you've missed out on experiencing one or two pleasures in life. But what the heck do I know, eh?

Hmm. Non-theistic Hindus. Is it just like non-theistic Muslims? Yep. There are non-theistic muslims too. ;)
Seems as bonkers to me as the concept of Christian atheists, if not more so. Atheist/Humanist Jews I can understand, because--as I understand it--there's a genetic basis to being a Jew that Christians and Muslims don't have in being Christian or Muslim, ignoring the oddballs who say of themselves (in a non-spiritual sense): "I was born Christian" or "I was born Muslim."

Why would God need to do that, when He/She already permeates everything?
To mingle and talk with the servants?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That's why I prefer not to get too deep into theology and philosophy... it makes my brain hurt.

Most Hindus are pragmatic practical people doing service, going to temple, practising dharma. It makes my brain hurt too ... about the farthest I want to go in an intellectual theological discussion is one over what color of flower to buy, with Boss.

My new flower 'adventure' is going better than I could have ever imagined. We committed to 2 boxes a month, and the reprogramming (re money) was like ... "yup, it's done' and then somebody ( a close and confidential non-gossiping friend) at temple asked me how come I was bringing so many garlands, and once I told her, she volunteered for a box a month too. And then I had a confidential talk with chief priest about which days are better for him to get garlands ... it can only grow from here. Yesterday I ordered (just an add-on to a wholesalers's regular order) more from His servant, although she doesn't know it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I may be biased but, IMO, ya haven't lived until you've tried doing it in a physical body. :D
This has turned into questioning not for expanding one's knowledge, but questioning hoping for a debate. I will be out.

You are welcome to your views.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Yeah, Charvak, Ajivakas, Buddhists, Jains, and perhaps others too (Buddha mentioned six 2,600 years ago - Samannaphala Sutta), all these were atheistic sects and philosophies of India or you may term them as opinions in Hinduism (Matas), parts of Hinduism, in the region where Buddha lived (mainly Bihar). Who knows what all were there in the whole of India? Buddhism and Jainism parted from Hinduism at a later date.

What six is mentioned in the Nikhaya? You mean six sects? Or are you referring to the cha theerthaka?

firedragon

Veteran Member
  1. Not really. People, especially newcomers to Hinduism put undue emphasis (in my opinion) on reading and studying the Vedas. The Vedas are not something to be read like a novel or how-to. Yes, there is philosophy and theology but the Rig Veda is largely hymns. It doesn't each you how to worship, or give descriptions of the gods and their doings. Most Hindus have probably never seen a copy of the Vedas. To qualify a bit, I consider Vishnu primus inter pares, first among equals.
  2. Yes, pretty much. Except for "and others are his avatars". If you mean other gods like Shiva, Hanuman, Ganesha, Surya, Saraswati that's an ISKCON pov. ISKCON considers them "demi-gods". I do not like that or subscribe to it. While it's true in my beliefs that everything and everyone is Brahman, the other gods are individual beings in their own right... Brahman/God can do whatever it likes or needs to. It can exist as everything and everyone simultaneously. Trippy, huh? :D There is a list of 24 incarnations that are Vishnu's avatars, not just the 10 people think of.

In my sect/tradition, the Bhagavad Gita and Bhagavata Purana (aka Srimad Bhagavatam) are our go-to. I use some common mantras and verses from the Rig Veda, but that's pretty much it.

Yes i understand that people from outside wont understand how hinduism works. Even those who call themselves scholars are sometimes just viewing things from outside being a westerner.

Bro, i have read the Rig Vedh. I know its Hymns. Im just quoting it because in my opinion, and as you said coming from an outside religion i actually dont know the emphasis on scripture. Just that i find that hymn, in book one that makes one God but people name him in various ways quite fascinating and it indicates monism. But see you cant enter the understanding of the religion just like that and read a few scriptures and think you can understand the religion. Because Hinduism is just too vast. Thats why i am asking this question in this post.

Bro. Do you consider Brahman also is an avatar? And you put Shiva along with Hanuman? Is that so?

shivsomashekhar

As far as i know

1. Hinduism is a term that refers to the religion or/and philosophy of the Hindu. But is it the other way around or is it simply both ways?
2. Scholars have said that it is a pantheistic religion. But is it monotheistic or is it polytheistic?
3. Hinduism doesnt take evil as necessarily bad or does it? Is it the balancing act of the sustainer, the brahma? Or is there diversity in this matter?
4. Is Hinduism the oldest religion? What are the findings? Is it that ancient religions found in the region all just "Hinduism"? Or are they truly scriptural?
5. Are Hindu scripture the oldest found? What are the paleographic/manuscript evidences for the position?
6. As a religion is Hinduism the most diverse and extensive in terms of philosophical wealth?

Why are the Hindu's steady in their faith? Why are their numbers globally so stable and secure, in history, current world and estimated future values? What is Hinduism? Why Hinduism?

I would be honoured to hear some of your thoughts. And i thank you in advance.

1. Though Hindu denotes religion today, it is not truly one. It is an umbrella term that captures many different beliefs - different enough for the term to mean little. However, it is good enough for practical living.

2. In Indian religion and language, the concepts of monotheism and polytheism do not exist. Most of these beliefs are polytheistic. When one worships Lakshmi, it is only Lakshmi who is being worshiped and not Saraswati and vice-versa. They are different with different functions. But this was a problem for European scholars in India, who had a horror of polytheism and pagan practices. Some of the educated Indians during Victorian times were pandering to the West and tried to showcase Hinduism as a homogeneous religion (not true), based on scripture (not true) and based a single God/Brahman (not true). However, this has become text book Hinduism and most (not all) foreign converts hold this view of Hinduism. People like @Vinayaka are an exception, who have a very realistic view of Hinduism.

3. Evil is bad, anywhere in the world and that is true for Hindus, too.

No to 4,5 and 6. Mainly because of #1.

People from all over the world are generally steady in their faith. I don't think Hindus are different in any way. Most people who are born into a religion are inclined to identify themselves with that religion through the course of their lives.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Most Hindus are pragmatic practical people doing service, going to temple, practising dharma. It makes my brain hurt too ... about the farthest I want to go in an intellectual theological discussion is one over what color of flower to buy, with Boss.

My new flower 'adventure' is going better than I could have ever imagined. We committed to 2 boxes a month, and the reprogramming (re money) was like ... "yup, it's done' and then somebody ( a close and confidential non-gossiping friend) at temple asked me how come I was bringing so many garlands, and once I told her, she volunteered for a box a month too. And then I had a confidential talk with chief priest about which days are better for him to get garlands ... it can only grow from here. Yesterday I ordered (just an add-on to a wholesalers's regular order) more from His servant, although she doesn't know it.

That's great. :) I'm on a flower-buying jag too. I get a couple of bunches of carnations or mums at the supermarket, each usually $6/bunch of 10. They last forever. I put them in a vase then snip a couple for puja. At one point I had about 3 doz. :D I do want to make a garland, even a small one. I might use miniature carnations or mums. I definitely want to use marigolds. In the tv series Ramayan (from 1987, more on that another time :D) they use marigolds by the ton.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I'm inclined to disagree and to think you've missed out on experiencing one or two pleasures in life. But what the heck do I know, eh?
What pleasures are you inclined to think I missed out on?

I don't understand your post actually.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
As far as i know

1. Hinduism is a term that refers to the religion or/and philosophy of the Hindu. But is it the other way around or is it simply both ways?
2. Scholars have said that it is a pantheistic religion. But is it monotheistic or is it polytheistic?
3. Hinduism doesnt take evil as necessarily bad or does it? Is it the balancing act of the sustainer, the brahma? Or is there diversity in this matter?
4. Is Hinduism the oldest religion? What are the findings? Is it that ancient religions found in the region all just "Hinduism"? Or are they truly scriptural?
5. Are Hindu scripture the oldest found? What are the paleographic/manuscript evidences for the position?
6. As a religion is Hinduism the most diverse and extensive in terms of philosophical wealth?

Why are the Hindu's steady in their faith? Why are their numbers globally so stable and secure, in history, current world and estimated future values? What is Hinduism? Why Hinduism?

I found Hinduism to be very robust. It's like the original Bahai, trying to integrate a myriad of spiritual belief/experience into layers under one theology. I didn't personally have a lot of experience with text/scripture. We were taught through satsang.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Thats why i am asking this question in this post.

Can never go wrong asking. :)

Bro. Do you consider Brahman also is an avatar? And you put Shiva along with Hanuman? Is that so?

If you mean Brahmā the creator god, he's a god, as well as Shiva, Hanuman, Lakshmi, Saraswati, Ganesha... all the major gods and goddesses one thinks of in Hinduism. And this is where the avatar idea gets wonky... Rama, Krishna, Narasimha, Vamana, Balarama, etc. are individuals as well as being forms of Vishnu, existing simultaneously. Several of the gods and goddesses do have other forms that are sometimes referred to as avatars. Maybe form, incarnation, avatar are the wrong words, and "role" is better. Shiva has forms other than the usual yogi form.. Dakshinamurthy, Kalabhairava, Pashupati, and others. Durga and Kali are the warrior and fierce forms, respectively, of Parvati.

The view I have of Shiva is not that common... Vishnu and Shiva are flip-sides of the same God. They are one and the same. The Skanda Upanishad and Yajur Veda say:

śivāya viṣṇu rūpāya śiva rūpāya viṣṇave
śivasya hṛdayaṁ viṣṇur viṣṇosca hṛdayaṁ śivaḥ

"Vishnu is a form of Shiva, and so is Shiva a form of Vishnu,
Shiva's heart is Vishnu, and Vishnu's heart is Shiva."

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That's great. :) I'm on a flower-buying jag too. I get a couple of bunches of carnations or mums at the supermarket, each usually $6/bunch of 10. They last forever. I put them in a vase then snip a couple for puja. At one point I had about 3 doz. :D I do want to make a garland, even a small one. I might use miniature carnations or mums. I definitely want to use marigolds. In the tv series Ramayan (from 1987, more on that another time :D) they use marigolds by the ton.

Garlands are easy to do. The one I'm making later today will have about 120 mini-carns in it. Marigolds are super easy. Do you have a drill? If so, I can tell you how to make an excellent needle for marigolds. I'd make a ton, but for the skin allergy.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Garlands are easy to do. The one I'm making later today will have about 120 mini-carns in it. Marigolds are super easy. Do you have a drill? If so, I can tell you how to make an excellent needle for marigolds. I'd make a ton, but for the skin allergy.

Yep, drill and various bits. If I used mini-carns or mini-marigolds I'd make it about 28-30", enough to drape over the top and sides of the 8x10 central picture. I replaced the brass murti with the picture. My superstition got the better of me, and even more so, it feels more alive.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yep, drill and various bits. If I used mini-carns or mini-marigolds I'd make it about 28-30", enough to drape over the top and sides of the 8x10 central picture. I replaced the brass murti with the picture. My superstition got the better of me, and even more so, it feels more alive.

Get an old metal coat hanger, cut a straight bit to 8 inches or so. Flatten on end enough to drill a tiny hole for string/thread ( I use embroidery thread ... tough enough) and then sharpen the heck out of the other end with a grinder. I had to do this as I am the world's worst needle threader ... partly blind, and fat fingers.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
As far as i know

Hinduism appears a term that is just as much about culture, ethnicity and geography as it is to identify a broad set of religious beliefs.

It became particularly important during periods of Islamic and British colonialism to distinguish the religions of the peoples of the Indian subcontinent from their Abrahamic oppressors.

Hindus - Wikipedia