• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why has the status of women become so important in our age?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
No one has mentioned the perspective in the East and the role of women in different yugas. In the Kali yuga, the dark age, men are in the ascendant. In the now dawning sat yuga, the golden age, women step forward to positions of leadership.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I won't give up my path since I believe it's the truth. I'm not swapping what I firmly believe is real for something I don't just so I can find a partner. I'm prepared to struggle with this as long as I need instead of give up on my faith. I'm not 'asking' for anything; I've come to the conclusion that my religion is true and that's the most important thing in my life. Someone who gives up his religion for another person is clearly not very sincere anyway. I'm doing what's called sticking to my principles and values.
You could always move to Revoltistan.
The men are fewer & more contrary, the weather is worse,
but lasts all year. The.....uh.....you'd better stay put.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't jump to conclusions. I'm looking at it from a match-maker's perspective. I'd doubt there's many Noahides around. I mean you're just asking to be the exception, aren't you?

If a "matchmaker's perspective" is to ask one person to fundamentally change a core aspect of who and what they are in order to get a relationship to work that... what the hell kind of matchmaker is that? Good relationships of all sorts are predicated on accepting each other for who we are, not demanding others be something they are not. At best, that's inauthentic. At worst, it becomes... eh, let's just not go there.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if willingness to accept people for who they are plays a very significant role in cultures accepting freedoms for various peoples, women or otherwise. It is, after all, authoritarian-style cultures that tend to suppress certain populations within their numbers.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Why, after thousands of years of oppression of women, has suddenly, man himself, began to champion her rights of equality? Even in the Bible there are passages forbidding women to openly speak, yet today, women’s rights are at the forefront of human rights battles.

Why this sudden change of heart towards women?

Everything props up at certain times, subsides, and props up again. I think this is how the world balances itself. I doubt its a sudden thing because the history we speak of is limited. Also geographically the whole world is so different some would not believe the diversity. In some areas in china women are so powerful men are like sperm donors. They are just visitors in the night but the woman doesn't give him the home that western women give a man. He is a visitor. The kids stay with the mom. She is the king, if that sentence makes any sense.

Thus, this is not a sudden thing. It is rather a balancing act.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
That's your opinion, as a pagan.
But I am not a pagan. I am an atheist.

I think you'll find that religion and political rights are on different wavelengths. What you have right to do is not necessary a good or a moral thing to do. Most people today have the right to commit adultery. Doesn't mean its a good thing if they do.

And when people become blind to the suffering of others, then they fall into immorality. Religion, when taken to an extreme, has a tendency to promote such blindness (which is what I was responding to).

Anyway, no point in me and you discussing anything, as we are so far apart that there can be no meeting of minds.

Well, if you don't see the list of injustices against women to be a moral problem, then I might agree with you. That your religion makes you blind in this way is, for me, a serious moral issue.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Wouldn't that logically apply to obligations as well, but military training, as a rule is an obligation to men and not to women.

Yes, military obligations should be equal as well. Is that a problem?

I happen to live in a society where there is no such military obligation at the present time. Which is a good thing.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
"Oppression of women" is bunkum. You have yet to disclose any evidence of their oppression outside of criminal conduct. If you view marriage as inherently "oppression," you suggest the Baha'i "faith" is little removed from outright satanism.

The preference for female empowerment these days is reversion back to mother goddess worship, nature worship, Ba'al worship and anything but the truth.

Romans 1: 22 "Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things."
Wow! So you clearly embrace a sort of Christianity. Let us know when you embrace humanity, too.

eik

Well, if you don't see the list of injustices against women to be a moral problem, then I might agree with you. That your religion makes you blind in this way is, for me, a serious moral issue.
You've not yet disclosed an injustice.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
It serves well communistic agenda and helps to divide and conquer people. If traditional family is weak, government is stronger.
Divide and conquer people by *checks notes* giving women human rights?

Also define “traditional family.”

eik

If a "matchmaker's perspective" is to ask one person to fundamentally change a core aspect of who and what they are in order to get a relationship to work that... what the hell kind of matchmaker is that? Good relationships of all sorts are predicated on accepting each other for who we are, not demanding others be something they are not. At best, that's inauthentic. At worst, it becomes... eh, let's just not go there.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if willingness to accept people for who they are plays a very significant role in cultures accepting freedoms for various peoples, women or otherwise. It is, after all, authoritarian-style cultures that tend to suppress certain populations within their numbers.
Eh? I was talking about match making, not good relationships. There's a difference being married to someone and having a good relationship. You really don't want to be married to someone who doesn't respect your religion.

eik

What does polymath have to do with the definition of idolatry? Idolatry is the worship if idols.
Atheists don't have God. They have idols.

"Unlimited options" is ambiguous. It could refer to hundreds of different marital systems, practices and arrangements.
Where did you get that? I said these women often live very restrictive lives and have fewer social or economic options than men or even other women have.
You don't think this, or you don't feel it?
I can't speak for pagan religions. There may be oppression in them, but let's face it, the OP was largely directed towards oppression of women by Christian marital legislation. That is absurd.

And if you think women were oppressed in the former times, I can tell you there were many many women who objected to yesterday's feminists who brought you your beloved vote (as if it has made the world a better place) including Queen Victoria.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
You've not yet disclosed an injustice.

I actually listed several. Check out post #47. Those are clear injustices (if not, imagine that men were subject to the same). That you don't seem to see that is bothersome.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member

I can't speak for pagan religions. There may be oppression in them, but let's face it, the OP was largely directed towards oppression of women by Christian marital legislation. That is absurd.

And if you think women were oppressed in the former times, I can tell you there were many many women who objected to yesterday's feminists who brought you your beloved vote (as if it has made the world a better place) including Queen Victoria.
Things like marital rape were legal in the UK until 1991. I doubt any woman liked that.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

Yes internalised misogyny is a thing. That’s old news.
Also what idols do atheists have exactly?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
What sort of reply is that? The world has done without the Baha'i "faith" for many thousands of years. You need to start justifying it.
I don't need to justify anything, not being Baha'i myself.

For the record, though, the world went without Christianity for tens of thousands of years before God apparently noticed that he'd forgotten to mention it.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Why, after thousands of years of oppression of women, has suddenly, man himself, began to champion her rights of equality? Even in the Bible there are passages forbidding women to openly speak, yet today, women’s rights are at the forefront of human rights battles.

Why this sudden change of heart towards women?
Two reasons:

1. Women are just as human as men, and therefore of equal value.

2. The surest way to propel societies up from poverty, and towards better conditions for everybody is to educate females, and then empower them.

eik

I don't need to justify anything, not being Baha'i myself.

For the record, though, the world went without Christianity for tens of thousands of years before God apparently noticed that he'd forgotten to mention it.
Oh, you mean the world was a better place when it used to worship the goddess? cf. Venus von Willendorf. I guess that being ruled by the goddess had its upside for women, but in the long run it didn't work out, as all the goddess worshippers got conquered, by the will of God.