• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why has the status of women become so important in our age?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I refer you to Polymath.
What does polymath have to do with the definition of idolatry? Idolatry is the worship if idols.
You don't understand? You don't understand what unlimited options in choosing a husband entails at a practical level? Check the stats on the average number of sexual partners people have in societies with "unlimited" options.
"Unlimited options" is ambiguous. It could refer to hundreds of different marital systems, practices and arrangements.
So you're alleging prostitution is an acceptable price for equality?
Where did you get that? I said these women often live very restrictive lives and have fewer social or economic options than men or even other women have.
I don't think in general single women have much problem finding spouses, unless they are obese, which is their problem.
You don't think this, or you don't feel it?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That's your opinion, as a pagan. I think you'll find that religion and political rights are on different wavelengths. What you have right to do is not necessary a good or a moral thing to do. Most people today have the right to commit adultery. Doesn't mean its a good thing if they do.

Anyway, no point in me and you discussing anything, as we are so far apart that there can be no meeting of minds.
No, in the above I think we're all largely in agreement.
Religious, political, legal and human rights are often very different.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Why, after thousands of years of oppression of women, has suddenly, man himself, began to champion her rights of equality? Even in the Bible there are passages forbidding women to openly speak, yet today, women’s rights are at the forefront of human rights battles.

Why this sudden change of heart towards women?
Because a huge and increasing number of people have come to recognize that the primitive ethics of ancient people aren't particularly moral. So we've improved upon them.

Even most religious people have come to recognize this. That's why they put so much effort into retrofitting secular humanist values into ancient Scripture that clearly didn't contain it all those centuries ago.
Tom

InvestigateTruth

We have realized that scriptures are not the words of any God, Allah or Bhagawan (Bog). They are creations of men and are false at places.
Women constitute nearly 50% of the population; and in most countries, they have the right to vote.
There have been always disbelievers. There has never been a Prophet or a Manifestation who people in His time did not rejected Him, and or did not called Him liar.

Piculet

You mean like those made up Hadith that were written centuries after Mohammad lived? Oh, wait...

Don't go there.
That's not a good comparison. The part about stoning according to many linguistics and Christian scholars was added later. And yes, I will go there though I understand why you would dislike that. Me, I'm comfortable talking about any part of my religion. I'm not ashamed of parts of it or hiding anything of the book.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
That's not a good comparison. The part about stoning according to many linguistics and Christian scholars was added later. And yes, I will go there though I understand why you would dislike that. Me, I'm comfortable talking about any part of my religion. I'm not ashamed of parts of it or hiding anything of the book.
I'm saying that if you can accept the validity of the Hadith even though they weren't written down until centuries later, I can accept the validity of that story even though it was "inserted later" (when?).

I'm saying it's irrelevant and hypocritical of you to use that argument to dismiss what I said.

Piculet

I'm saying that if you can accept the validity of the Hadith even though they weren't written down until centuries later, I can accept the validity of that story even though it was "inserted later" (when?).
I don't know where to start.... Hadith aren't scripture. They did not simply appear hundreds of years later as you seem to think. In the Bible, I'm referring to a part of a chapter that doesn't fit. With hadiths you are referring to I don't know what. Maybe you don't know either.
I'm saying it's irrelevant and hypocritical of you to use that argument to dismiss what I saidm
You just don't know what to say. You want the first stone story to be there, but..... The academics aren't as convinced as you'd like them to be and you do trust the academics more than God. It's a tricky situation you've got yourself into.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I don't know where to start.... Hadith aren't scripture. They did not simply appear hundreds of years later as you seem to think. In the Bible, I'm referring to a part of a chapter that doesn't fit. With hadiths you are referring to I don't know what. Maybe you don't know either.

You just don't know what to say. You want the first stone story to be there, but..... The academics aren't as convinced as you'd like them to be and you do trust the academics more than God. It's a tricky situation you've got yourself into.
I dont trust academics more than God. After all, Who created the academics in the first place?

The historicity of a story isn't what really interests me, it's the meaning that I'm interested in and this story is a good illustration of ethics.

Piculet

I dont trust academics more than God. After all, Who created the academics in the first place?

The historicity of a story isn't what really interests me, it's the meaning that I'm interested in and this story is a good illustration of ethics.
I suppose anything that supports promiscuity is just good ethics to you while God's commandments are vague guidelines subject to updates now and then according to your personal morals.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Wouldn't that logically apply to obligations as well, but military training, as a rule is an obligation to men and not to women.
Not in more ethically advanced places, like the USA. It's not an obligation to anyone. If you enlist, you get placed based on your skills and capabilities instead of your gender.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I'm not Saint Frankenstein. But I've definitely got an opinion here.
I suppose anything that supports promiscuity is just good ethics to you
I'm really rather a prude. I see sex as both powerful and dangerous. It's crucial to be careful and informed and thoughtful. I just don't want the government involved because I don't trust them.

while God's commandments are vague guidelines subject to updates now and then according to your personal morals.
It's demonstrably true that God's commandments are vague and subject to updates. That's exactly the claim made by Muslims, that God had to send a new update, due to the corruption of all the older ones.

The fact that God sent it in one human language that most people don't understand is evidence enough for me that the Quran also needs updates. The current best update is generally referred to as Secular Humanism.
Tom

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't jump to conclusions. I'm looking at it from a match-maker's perspective. I'd doubt there's many Noahides around. I mean you're just asking to be the exception, aren't you?
I won't give up my path since I believe it's the truth. I'm not swapping what I firmly believe is real for something I don't just so I can find a partner. I'm prepared to struggle with this as long as I need instead of give up on my faith. I'm not 'asking' for anything; I've come to the conclusion that my religion is true and that's the most important thing in my life. Someone who gives up his religion for another person is clearly not very sincere anyway. I'm doing what's called sticking to my principles and values.