• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why has the status of women become so important in our age?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
No. A prostitute should be treated with respect as a human being. She is not worthy of honor or respect as a prostitute. I do not respect prostitution. I do not respect the job of a prostitute. I do not respect her choice, her decision, her preference, her dress, her manners, her goals, her actions, her beliefs or her clients. I respect only her person. That's it.
I know that Jesus didn't go around calling women "whores" and some of His friends were hookers. I can imagine that you'd be part of the crowd ready to stone the woman caught in adultery.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Perhaps the better question is - why wasn't it important in in some historical eras in certain parts of the world?

I put those caveats in there to remind people that we need to not mistakenly believe women's rights were consistently worse in the past. It depended on culture and historical era, as it still does today. So what was different about the cultures that recognize the dignity of more people? Why wasn't it important in cultures that engaged in marginalization?

Personally, I'd ask a women's studies professor. I never took any coursework in that, so I'm a bit out of my depth...

Piculet

I know that Jesus didn't go around calling women "whores" and some of His friends were hookers. I can imagine that you'd be part of the crowd ready to stone the woman caught in adultery.
Oh you mean that fabricated part about the stoning, that was added later according to the Christian scholars?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"In your opinion." I do not recognize such humanistic injustices. In fact they involve idolatry of women. Whoever appointed a woman to have unlimited options as to marriage?
You see equality with men as idolatry?
Do men have these unlimited options you speak of, and what are these options?

What's your objection to unlimited marital options, anyway? Do you see harm in it, or are you just novelty averse and fearful of change?

Last edited:

eik

You see equality with men as idolatry?
No, this is actually idolatry over men. It's not even equality. I know what rights for women involve. It involves temporary marriage. Date someone for a year. Get fed up. Move on to someone richer. What's equality got to do with it?

Do men have these unlimited options you speak of, and what are these options?
No. in general men do not have unlimited options. Men are constrained by many factors. They do not have unlimited political rights. Democracy for the most part confers very limited political involvement. It's 75% hype. The way I vote will make no difference whatsoever to the way I am governed.

What's your objection to unlimited marital options, anyway? Do you see harm in it, or are you just novelty averse and fearful of change?
Unlimited marital options? That would usually only apply to the courtesan rank of woman, in other words, a prostitute.

eik

Human decency. The same as what allows men to have the same options. Any right that men have, women should have as well.
Why? In any event, many men do not have such unlimited rights. There are many men in some countries who will be lucky to find any wife, just because of factors outside their control.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
You mean like those made up Hadith that were written centuries after Mohammad lived? Oh, wait...

Don't go there.
1c04109b8db272a36120a06ed2649ccf.jpg

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No, this idolatry over men. It's not even equality.
I think you're misusing the word. Maybe "dominion," or "authority?"
No. in general men do not have unlimited options. Men are constrained by many factors. They do not have unlimited political rights. Democracy for the most part confers very limited political involvement. It's 75% hype. The way I vote will make no difference whatsoever to the way I am governed.
So what are these unlimited options you say women want and that men don't have?
Unlimited marital options? That would usually only apply to the courtesan rank of woman, in other words, a prostitute.
I don't understand. Don't prostitutes have the same legal options in marriage as other professions have, or as men have?

As far as options go, it seems to me that in prostitution-restrictive countries, prostitutes usually have fewer social options than other women.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why? In any event, many men do not have such unlimited rights. There are many men in some countries who will be lucky to find any wife, just because of factors outside their control.
The same is true for both sexes. In fact, where men have more social freedom than women, it's the single woman who would have the greater problem finding a spouse.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

And there will be some who don't want to marry at all. Any thing a man has the right to do, a woman should as well.

The only reason I can see this is controversial is that religions blind many to injustices. This is one of the major evils of 'faith'.

eik

I think you're misusing the word. Maybe "dominion," or "authority?"
So what are these unlimited options you say women want and that men don't have?
I refer you to Polymath.

I don't understand. Don't prostitutes have the same legal options in marriage as other professions have, or as men have?
You don't understand? You don't understand what unlimited options in choosing a husband entails at a practical level? Check the stats on the average number of sexual partners people have in societies with "unlimited" options.

As far as options go, it seems to me that in prostitution-restrictive countries, prostitutes usually have fewer social options than other women.
So you're alleging prostitution is an acceptable price for equality?

The same is true for both sexes. In fact, where men have more social freedom than women, it's the single woman who would have the greater problem finding a spouse.
I don't think in general single women have much problem finding spouses, unless they are obese, which is their problem.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think in general single women have much problem finding spouses
Single female.
Never had any sexual experiences or past relationships.
Having lots of trouble finding a mate.
Having lots of ease finding men who want to sleep with me.

eik

And there will be some who don't want to marry at all. Any thing a man has the right to do, a woman should as well.

The only reason I can see this is controversial is that religions blind many to injustices. This is one of the major evils of 'faith'.
That's your opinion, as a pagan. I think you'll find that religion and political rights are on different wavelengths. What you have right to do is not necessary a good or a moral thing to do. Most people today have the right to commit adultery. Doesn't mean its a good thing if they do.

Anyway, no point in me and you discussing anything, as we are so far apart that there can be no meeting of minds.

eik

Single female.
Never had any sexual experiences or past relationships.
Having lots of trouble finding a mate.
Having lots of ease finding men who want to sleep with me.
May be it's your religion. Try becoming a Christian.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Why, after thousands of years of oppression of women, has suddenly, man himself, began to champion her rights of equality? Even in the Bible there are passages forbidding women to openly speak, yet today, women’s rights are at the forefront of human rights battles.

Why this sudden change of heart towards women?
Nagging.