• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do some Atheists say Christianity is harmful?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
My point is online discourse is generally mostly dominated by leftist atheist types in my experience.
Maybe you're right, but I am certain it would not be even half as interesting without other kinds of folk

If it were just atheists here I probably wouldn't use these forums, I personally am not an atheist, that would get boring for me pretty quickly

I think people such as yourself are a good thing to have in a forum such as this

PureX

Veteran Member
What does god- belief do but make
people feel guilty and afraid of being
tortured forever for the "sin" of being what
they are?
There are as many god-concepts to believe in as there are people to believe in them. If anyone's god-concept makes them feel as you describe, I would seriously question why they choose to hold onto it? I certainly wouldn't.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
So whats the point of this forum if first of all, most people are are atheists, or some other religion. And "proselityzing" isnt allowed? Because proselityzing can mean a lot of things.

Is this just another circlejerk server, where skeptics say to each other how horrible religion is? Fact is most of the internet is-anti christian. But why is that?

This forum promotes free exchange of ideas. There are dir sections of you don't want your ideas challenged by those outside of your beliefs, but you posted this in the debates section, and all ideas are subject to scrutiny in the debates section. Keep in mind, you did address atheists in your OP. It shouldn't come as a surprise when they respond

Audie

Veteran Member
It provides a common set of morals, that other followers can express without worrying about being taken advantage of.

For instance, I can be humble, thoughtful and kind to others who share my values, without worrying about them trying to one-up me or push me aside as being "weak". They won't do that to me, whereas someone who views aggression and 'force' as a positive trait would walk all over me - forcing me to either abandon what I believe is good, or force me to be miserable be getting walked on.
None here have said anythjng like that all religions arecall bad.
Its our opster with the extreme all or nothing.

All societies have codified values, morals.
That does not equal god- belief.

Some are well considred and of great value.
Others, not so much. Ranging as you know
from not so great, to horrendous.
But people do devise them, and generally they
allow for a better functioning society.
All of that is obvuous, no need for examoles.

My q was not about morals, but about "God".

The one with the narrow path, the impossible
rules ( often meaningless, just for - the -
sake- of- rules, for anythh g but the god)
AND the lake of fire for those who musstep.

I live by the values of my society which i cinsider
for good reason to be fsr superior to those of the
Christian god.

So to,ask again since you evidently misunderstood:

Of what use is belief in god?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I wouldn't say most people here are atheists there are some active young Earth creationists here and people from a variety of traditions

There have been some very lively exchanges here and I personally have learnt a great deal during my time here, time well spent

And I wouldn't call it a circle jerk, I mean you yourself created a thread that attracted a great number of replies from lots of people

As I stated yesterday in another thread, it is the diversity that I find most appealing. I don't consider it to be predominantly Christian, which is something that is important to me. I like that atheists and people of other religions are represented on the forum. My overall experience with these atheists and other non-Christian members has been relatively positive and enjoyable since I joined the forum two years ago. Being on RF has given me opportunities to learn about other religions, such as the Baháʼí Faith, because of @Trailblazer, who I now consider to be a friend. I also decided to practice Wicca and Druidry as a result of reading some posts by Wiccan and Druid members. I've never participated in an internet forum that is as open to diverse religious beliefs as RF.

As I stated yesterday in another thread, it's the diversity that I find most appealing. I don't consider it to be predominantly Christian, which is something that is important to me. I like that atheists and people of other religions are represented on the forum. My overall experience with these atheists and other non-Christian members has been relatively positive and enjoyable since I joined the forum two years ago. Being on RF has given me opportunities to learn about other religions, such as the Baháʼí Faith, because of @Trailblazer, who I now consider to be a friend. I also decided to practice Wicca and Druidry as a result of reading some posts by Wiccan and Druid members. I've never participated in an internet forum that is as open to diverse religious beliefs as RF.

Except traditional christianity i guess. But oh well were pretty much despised all over the western world. But in russia for example were embraced. While i dont agree with everything putin does, i think its good he cares very much about traditional values.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Ever asked yourself why conservative christians feel less and less welcome in western countries?
I have a good friend who is a Conservative Christian although he is an evangelical protestent not a Catholic

I do not judge others on their religious beliefs or political alignment

There is a big difference between disagreeing with a type of opinion and disliking those who hold opinions you don't like

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
So whats the point of this forum if first of all, most people are are atheists, or some other religion. And "proselityzing" isnt allowed? Because proselityzing can mean a lot of things.

Is this just another circlejerk server, where skeptics say to each other how horrible religion is? Fact is most of the internet is-anti christian. But why is that?

You addressed this thread to atheists, and now you are complaining that atheist responded? How sad is that?

I have a good friend who is a Conservative Christian although he is an evangelical protestent not a Catholic

I do not judge others on their religious beliefs or political alignment

There is a big difference between disagreeing with a type of opinion and disliking those who hold opinions you don't like

I meant people who actively want to change the political landscape to make it more like, say russia.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

We have rules here that you agreed to adhere to when you signed up. Apparently, you agreed to them without reviewing them. You would do well to read them before proceeding.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I meant people who actively want to change the political landscape to make it more like, say russia.
I don't think many people want things to be like in Russia, Russia is a bit of a hole right now, it is practically a dictatorship I don't see people advocating for that, especially lefty types, they have as good as outlawed being gay there

And for the record I am not a leftist I am a centrist

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I don't think Jesus taught that.
Christianity teaches lots of things that Jesus never taught.

According to the Bible, Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell" (Matt. 10:28). If you're interested, this article is an interpretation regarding the topic of Jesus and hell: "What was Jesus’ teaching on hell?"

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
What's wrong with lust? It's just a word to describe sexual desire. One of the problems with religion is that it defines natural human biological urges as "sinful". So add that to my list.
Not all religions do that, only Christianity. The idea of sin comes from Christianity.

I don't think many people want things to be like in Russia, Russia is a bit of a hole right now, it is practically a dictatorship I don't see people advocating for that, especially lefty types, they have as good as outlawed being gay there

And for the record I am not a leftist I am a centrist

And im a traditionalist, monarchist, im definitely far right, but im opposed to nazism. But i like francisco franco for example. I think society has become way too liberal and permissive of evil.

And well it will have to change if we want to have any future.