• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do men rape?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I mean...I am really incapable of understanding why some men would do such a thing..not only because it's a horrible act...but also because of its pointlessness.
Especially in the 21st centuries, where promiscuity killed romance.

From a psychological standpoint...is there a reason why some men decide to do it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
I think its the power, dominance and the thrill of breaking a taboo they get when they rape someone. Acts like these are very base and animalistic, and unlikely to go away. Similar to arsonists.

PureX

Veteran Member
Most people who abuse other people do so because they have been abused, themselves. Hurting and abusing others against their will is a way of taking their autonomy; their 'self-empowerment' away. When someone has experienced this sort of abuse, they very often seek to regain that sense of empowerment by abusing someone else. By 'taking it' from someone else. Also, there is the internal rage and resentment that drives people to want to visit that same rage and resentment on others, to "even the score", so to speak. These are not thoughtful, rational responses. They are emotionally charged impulses that tend to override the rational, thoughtful side of the mind.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
There are many reasons for rape, but three are considered the most common. Since men (the OP specified men) are people and all people are different in motives, generally, no-one can say, It is this, or, It is that.

The first is because the man feels weak and impotent. This reason also applies to many child rape cases. He may come across as confident around women and even be married, but underneath he's seething with insecurities and wonders about himself. One of these deep-rooted insecurities may be his sexual performance, penis size, and so on. So he rapes in order to make himself feel virile, strong and, very importantly, to avoid rejection (the rejection would also reinforce his notion of his insecurities).

The second is revenge. Without going into too much detail because this could go for paragraphs, he has had trauma, bad experiences, constant rejection, by women, or -- and often the case-- his mother made him feel emasculated and dominated him as long as she could. This is the type that thinks women are 'whores' and his family life was probably far from comfortable. There may have been a divorce, a mistress, etc. and his view of women is now tainted two-fold by an overbearing, emasculating mother and another woman, who he deems a whore, in the picture, which may have been the cause of a divorce etc. He takes revenge on women by humiliating them and reinforcing his notion of them as sluts by deluding himself into believing 'they wanted it' as well as asserting his masculinity.

The third is the sadist. He is more often than not born this way. He experiences sexual pleasure from the humiliation of others and probably started with animals. He actively enjoys his victim's suffering and he becomes a serial rapist because, like a drug, he needs more and more to have the satisfaction he once achieved from simple forms of torture. His victims tend to die or he keeps them in captivity for a long time, maybe alongside others. This may or may not be co-morbid with one or both above.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Some men are predator who see woman as an easy target, specially on parties where many girls get really drunk, and the guys get drunk too. A lot of females dressing really in to little clothes and the predator men does see this as an invitation to have sex with them, and this kind of men does not take a no for a no. When they want it they going to have it no matter what.

This kind of men are really really sick

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
There are many reasons for rape, but three are considered the most common. Since men (the OP specified men) are people and all people are different in motives, generally, no-one can say, It is this, or, It is that.

The first is because the man feels weak and impotent. This reason also applies to many child rape cases as well. He may come across as confident around women and even be married, but underneath he's seething with insecurities and wonders about himself. One of these deep-rooted insecurities may be his sexual performance, penis size, and so on. So he rapes in order to make himself feel virile, strong and, very importantly, to avoid rejection (the rejection would also reinforce his notion of his insecurities).

The second is revenge. Without going into too much detail because this could go for paragraphs, he has had trauma, bad experiences, constant rejection, by women, or -- and often the case-- his mother made him feel emasculated and dominated him as long as she could. This is the type that thinks women are 'whores' and his family life was probably far from comfortable. There may have been a divorce, a mistress, etc. and his view of women is now tainted two-fold by an overbearing, emasculating mother and another woman, who he deems a whore, in the picture, which may have been the cause of a divorce etc. He takes revenge on women by humiliating them and reinforcing his notion of them as sluts by deluding himself into believing 'they wanted it' as well as asserting his masculinity.

The third is the sadist. He is more often than not born this way. He experiences sexual pleasure from the humiliation of others and probably started with animals. He actively enjoys his victim's suffering and he becomes a serial rapist because, like a drug, he needs more and more to have the satisfaction he once achieved from simple forms of torture. His victims tend to die or he keeps them in captivity for a long time, maybe alongside others. This may or may not be co-morbid with one or both above.
wow such a detailed answer
impressive

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I mean...I am really incapable of understanding why some men would do such a thing..not only because it's a horrible act...but also because of its pointlessness.

From a psychological standpoint...is there a reason why some men decide to do it?
It's a bad idea to argue against evil acts as pointless.
Those committing them have their reasons, which are
best countered by understanding them.
I know it's fashionable to say that rape is never about
sex, but this is wrong as can be seen in many cases.
Of course, there are other reasons too.
And these apply to both male & female perps.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
It's a bad idea to argue against evil acts as pointless.
Those committing them have their reasons, which are
best countered by understanding them.
I know it's fashionable to say that rape is never about
sex, but this is wrong as can be seen in many cases.
Of course, there are other reasons too.
And these apply to both male & female perps.
Actually many are coming around now and, after all these years, concluding that it is as much about sex as violence and power. Being a smut writer, no-one needed to tell me this and to me the idea that it wasn't sexual seemed absurd.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

You might to want to change the title of your thread. It's a generalization and it is sexist. That is like me starting a thread saying "why do women lie?" It sets a fallacious predisposition to a group as if the said trait is a standard quality to the group. Unless, you titled it to bait others to respond like myself.

WalterTrull

Godfella
No one has yet mentioned learned male mores. I am embarrassed to say, that in my early 20's, I had multiple experiences that could easily fall into the "date rape" category today. At that point, I had been taught that it was appropriate and expected behavior for virile young men. Those relationships were not "one-nighters" and lasted quite a while. The intent was romantic, well obviously there was also desire. 20's, as I said. (I am now approaching 76.)
I'm guessing there are other cultures where male mores are still a bit less refined.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
You might to want to change the title of your thread. It's a generalization and it is sexist. That is like me starting a thread saying "why do women lie?" It sets a fallacious predisposition to a group as if the said trait is a standard quality to the group. Unless, you titled it to bait others to respond like myself.
Well...the OP specifies it deals with some men....by some I mean a very little percentage

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Well...the OP specifies it deals with some men....by some I mean a very little percentage

True in the subsequent writing but just so that it would clarify that you meant "some" it would just be helpful so that it doesn't present a negative kneejerk reaction but since @Rival is cool with it it's all good. I'll keep that in mind when I make threads myself.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When creating titles, tis wise to ask oneself.....
"Are there likely inferences other than what I intend?"
"Do I intend clear accurate communication or clickbait?"
Choices can vary.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
True in the subsequent writing but just so that it would clarify that you meant "some" it would just be helpful so that it doesn't present a negative kneejerk reaction but since @Rival is cool with it it's all good. I'll keep that in mind when I make threads myself.
I can edit the title if you want me to