• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do men rape?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've never understood 'why' either as I can't go there even vicariously. But I can guess it's an extremely exaggerated extension of basic selfish instinct that thinks only of oneself.

spirit_of_dawn

I think it all boils down to this: you have something I want, if you don't give it to me I'll take it by force.

The same mentally exists in thieves, murderers, those that start wars and etc.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I think it all boils down to this: you have something I want, if you don't give it to me I'll take it by force.

The same mentally exists in thieves, murderers, those that start wars and etc.
Very good comparison.
Nevertheless...the rapist is someone who ruin a innocent person's life, by damaging them psychologically with a deep scar.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I mean...I am really incapable of understanding why some men would do such a thing..not only because it's a horrible act...but also because of its pointlessness.
Especially in the 21st centuries, where promiscuity killed romance.

From a psychological standpoint...is there a reason why some men decide to do it?

What is rape? Brute or sociopath.

Is it catching a woman, slamming her down while she kicks and screams and just giving it to her?

...Or is it more of a sociopathic telling her what she wants to hear and then verbally controlling her and taking control that way until the act?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, you know how sociopaths and psychopaths are... When you tell them no, they persist nonstop.

Very annoying people.
Yes, I'm well acquainted with ASPD, but what you wrote makes little sens. She wants to hear what?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
What is rape? Brute or sociopath.

Is it catching a woman, slamming her down while she kicks and screams and just giving it to her?

...Or is it more of a sociopathic telling her what she wants to hear and then verbally controlling her and taking control that way until the act?
Rape is non-consensual sex

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Power and control, mainly. It's not about sex as we tend to think of it, really. Rape is also used as punishment and humiliation in various cultures and contexts.

"No single facet explains the motivation for rape; the underlying motives of rapists can be multi-faceted. Several factors have been proposed: anger,[45] power,[46] sadism, sexual gratification, or evolutionary proclivities.[47][48] However, some factors have significant causal evidence supporting them. American clinical psychologist David Lisak, co-author of a 2002 study of undetected rapists,[49] says that compared with non-rapists, both undetected and convicted rapists are measurably more angry at women and more motivated by a desire to dominate and control them, are more impulsive, disinhibited, anti-social, hypermasculine, and less empathic.[50]

Sexual aggression is often considered a masculine identity characteristic of manhood in some male groups and is significantly correlated to the desire to be held higher in esteem among male peers.[51] Sexually aggressive behavior among young men has been correlated with gang or group membership as well as having other delinquent peers.[52][53] Gang rape is often perceived by male perpetrators as a justified method of discouraging or punishing what they consider as immoral behavior among women for example wearing short skirts or visiting bars. In some areas in Papua New Guinea, women can actually be punished by public gang rape usually through permission by elders.[54]"
Rape - Wikipedia

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
So then it's both -either / or.
From a juridic viewpoint, I clearly remember a chapter of the penal law book...which was about crimes regarding sexual abuse.
And if the spouse\partner rapes you, it's very difficult to prove the lack of consent in a trial

Cooky

Veteran Member
From a juridic viewpoint, I clearly remember a chapter of the penal law book...which was about crimes regarding sexual abuse.
And if the spouse\partner rapes you, it's very difficult to prove the lack of consent in a trial

I'd imagine so. After all, the two being in love already and married and all.

In an established marriage, there can be no rape.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
This is completely false. Not only is it false, it is an insult to abused spouses the world over and their fight for help and rights. No means no, marriage, engagement, anything. If one partner says no, but the other goes ahead anyway, that is rape. It's sad and disgusting that I even need to explain this.

Cooky

Veteran Member
This is completely false. Not only is it false, it is an insult to abused spouses the world over and their fight for help and rights. No means no, marriage, engagement, anything. If one partner says no, but the other goes ahead anyway, that is rape. It's sad and disgusting that I even need to explain this.

In an *established* marriage? So then for example, if a man raped his wife, but she wanted to stay married, she could file charges against her husband?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Given the definition of rape being non-consensual sex, I'm not how you came to this conclusion. Married or no, if one simply doesn't wish to have sex and the other takes it by force, that's rape. Nowhere in my vows did it say that I had to be available for intercourse 24/7, until death do us part.