• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do christianity get so much hate?

Ebionite

Not sure what you mean to say with this. Would you like to elaborate?
Yeshua (Jesus) endorsed the law, but Paul spoke against it. Paul's attitude toward the law resulted in him being tested in the temple and the ensuing riot.

And they are informed of thee, that thou teachest all the Jews which are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise [their] children, neither to walk after the customs.
What is it therefore? the multitude must needs come together: for they will hear that thou art come.
Do therefore this that we say to thee: We have four men which have a vow on them;
Them take, and purify thyself with them, and be at charges with them, that they may shave [their] heads: and all may know that those things, whereof they were informed concerning thee, are nothing; but [that] thou thyself also walkest orderly, and keepest the law.
Acts 21:21-24

Law and morality are related. Law is sometimes called the science of ethics.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I do feel the need to iterate that what a lot of US folks associate with Christianity isn't found in Europe, where I am.

I see little in terms of creationism, some proselytism only in some cities which most folks ignore, Witnesses no longer knock on doors, Christianity is a minority in many countries and so isn't dictating to anyone about anything etc. Many here are in fact claiming the churches are too liberal.

So please bear in mind that the Christianity you're culturally accustomed to won't be the same for others.

It seems to be mostly some Evangelicals who are disliked and for what seems some good reasons, as far as I can tell, based on what I've learned of some of their activities.
American Christianity is an anomaly, but sadly, they are teaching it to those in developing nations, especially Africa.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Yeshua (Jesus) endorsed the law, but Paul spoke against it. Paul's attitude toward the law resulted in him being tested in the temple and the ensuing riot.

And they are informed of thee, that thou teachest all the Jews which are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise [their] children, neither to walk after the customs.
What is it therefore? the multitude must needs come together: for they will hear that thou art come.
Do therefore this that we say to thee: We have four men which have a vow on them;
Them take, and purify thyself with them, and be at charges with them, that they may shave [their] heads: and all may know that those things, whereof they were informed concerning thee, are nothing; but [that] thou thyself also walkest orderly, and keepest the law.
Acts 21:21-24

Law and morality are related. Law is sometimes called the science of ethics.
That is one claim that is sometimes made. As it happens, I do not support it.

Deontology strikes me as a poor sustentation of ethics, perhaps the worst of all offered. Theocentric ethics most of all.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Why do christianity get so much hate? It is really frustrating. I am not a christian but I think about christians that get hate just because of the religion they are following. It is so sad
The data for 2022 came from 14,631 law enforcement agencies. The totals show 11,634 criminal incidents and 13,337 related offenses were reported affecting 13,278 victims. Incidents of religious bias represented 18% of the total – 2,042 incidents and 2,199 offenses affecting 2,293 victims. The largest categories of religion included:

• Anti-Jewish incidents: 55%
  • Anti-Sikh incidents: 9%
  • Anti-Islamic incidents: 8%
  • Anti-Catholic incidents: 5%

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Yeshua (Jesus) endorsed the law, but Paul spoke against it. Paul's attitude toward the law resulted in him being tested in the temple and the ensuing riot................................................................................................................................
Jesus only endorsed the law while alive on Earth. Paul agreed.
ALL Scripture is inspired by God - 2nd Timothy 3:16-17
Christ fulfilled the Law - Matthew 5:17; Luke 4:21
Thus the Law ended with Christ - Romans 10:4; 7:6
Christ abolished the Law - Ephesians 2:15
Christ blotted out the Law - Colossians 2:14
Christ redeemed us - Galatians 3:13; 4:5
This is why Jesus gave us a New Commandment in place of the old Golden Rule of Leviticus 19:18
New because it is superior to the Old - John 13:34-35; 15:12
We are to have the same self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus has.
Superior to the Law because we are to now love others MORE than our love of self.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Why do christianity get so much hate? It is really frustrating. I am not a christian but I think about christians that get hate just because of the religion they are following. It is so sad
Firstly, I do not believe that Christianity is hated.
Christianity is the majority religion in the world.
About one third of the world population are Christians and I don't see Christians being persecuted, but maybe I am missing something?

I glanced through this thread and it seems like most people think Christianity is hated for what Christians do...
I do not hate Christians for what they do, but I hate Christianity for 'some' of its teachings, which I believe are patently false and arrogant.
What is really sad is that Christians cannot even SEE how arrogant their religion is.

There are more but here are the primary Christian teachings I believe are false and arrogant.

Jesus is God and that makes Christianity superior to all the other religions.
Jesus is the 'only way' to God for all of eternity.
Christianity is the only true religion. All other religions are false.
Jesus rose from the dead and that makes Christianity superior to all the other religions.
Jesus Christ is going to return to earth and rule the world.
Only Christians go to heaven. Everyone else goes to hell.

Last edited:

Ebionite

ALL Scripture is inspired by God - 2nd Timothy 3:16-17
"Scripture" is nothing more than religious texts that someone likes.

Christ fulfilled the Law - Matthew 5:17; Luke 4:21
Pauline Christianity doesn't understand fulfilment.

But though he had done so many miracles before them, yet they believed not on him:
That the saying of Esaias the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spake, Lord, who hath believed our report? and to whom hath the arm of the Lord been revealed?
Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again,
He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with [their] eyes, nor understand with [their] heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.
John 12:37-40

The people answered him, We have heard out of the law that Christ abideth for ever: and how sayest thou, The Son of man must be lifted up? who is this Son of man?
John 12:34

And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
John 3:14

Let them shout for joy, and be glad, that favour my righteous cause: yea, let them say continually, Let YHWH be magnified, which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant.
Psalms 35:27

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Because very few care about that christians get persecuted and killed. The world is almost silent when christians get killed.
That would all depend on how they get killed and why.

One could arguably point out that sometimes Christians essentially design their own persecution and ultimate fate through their elective actions such as proselytizing and missionary work in areas they know full well beforehand are extremely dangerous and hazardous, and still set up camp anyways In those environments.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think about christians that get hate just because of the religion they are following.
Christians that are hated aren't hated for being Christian. They are hated for things like their theocratic tendencies and their sense of moral superiority and exceptionalism.

Look at your campaign here. It's all about the poor persecuted Christians. Christians are notorious persecutors. Ask atheists. Ask LGBTQ+. Those are people who are going to dislike Christianity and the Christians who persecute those two groups. Atheists are fairly immune these days to Christian bigotry directed against them, but not LGBTQ+.

You're here pleading for more tolerance of their chief oppressors. You're asking why Christians are so disliked. When confronted, you'll give a gratuitous nod to them - "It's wrong to mistreat or oppress anybody." But that's not your message, and that's not your concern.
so you do not think some christians in the world are being persecuted and killed for their faith?
That is very rare. When they are killed for being Christian, it is generally for proselytizing where they are unwelcome. I just read about a missionary that went onto a forbidden island a few years ago and was killed by the primitive inhabitants there almost immediately: The life and death of John Chau, the man who tried to convert his killers This guy wasn't killed for his faith. He was killed for his arrogance, which his faith taught him. He was going to save these people from Satan. He had a better way, he thought, and came to them uninvited and unwelcome.
So you judge all christians for what some christians have done?
I judge Christianity and some Christians harshly, and those Christians are judged not for being Christian, but for what they do as Christians.

But yes, if you are a Christian but don't condemn Christianity's failings, then you own them for wearing that badge, just like the person waving a confederate flag owns everything wrong with that culture if they fly that flag without explicitly condemning its bigotries.
Westboro is just some tiny cult with maybe a few dozen members. To say that they represent even American Christianity is rather ridiculous.
Of course they represent Christianity. They're not all of Christianity, but they are a part of it. Where was the outcry from the rest of Christianity? All I heard was people doing what you did here trying to distance themselves from them. Those people were contemptible, but I don't get that too many Christians are concerned about that, just that they themselves not be tarnished by association.
Almost all religions oppose those things [Abortion, euthanasia, same sex marriage].
But it's the Christians and Muslims who would impose their opposition to such things on others, which is a good reason to dislike them both and to work to diminish their cultural influence.
Religious prejudice at the state level has far reaching implications.
Agreed. In America, women are having to go out of state to get the reproductive health care they need, and books are being banned.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Lending ear to the likes of Silas Malafaia and the leaders of the Westboro Church is plenty enough justification to be perceived with some suspicion, at the very least.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The data for 2022 came from 14,631 law enforcement agencies. The totals show 11,634 criminal incidents and 13,337 related offenses were reported affecting 13,278 victims. Incidents of religious bias represented 18% of the total – 2,042 incidents and 2,199 offenses affecting 2,293 victims. The largest categories of religion included:

• Anti-Jewish incidents: 55%
  • Anti-Sikh incidents: 9%
  • Anti-Islamic incidents: 8%
  • Anti-Catholic incidents: 5%
2022 figures aren't so relevant today.
Israel's genocide of Palestinians will
change in those percentages.

PureX

Veteran Member
I think modern Christianity made a huge error when it neglected to speak out against those within it that were intent of using their religious Christianity as justification for hate, for oppression, for bigotry and for the abuse of their fellow humans. A great many Christians and their churches did NOT condone nor engage in this sort of behavior, but unfortunately they did not stand up and proclaim loudly and emphatically that it was wrong, was sinful, and was not a reflection of Christian ideology, either.

Meanwhile those who would use their Christian religiosity as an excuse to engage in these toxic proclamations an behaviors were shouting their self-righteousness from the rooftops for all the world to hear. And their glaring and repugnant hypocrisy cast a huge shadow over all religious Christianity.

And the question is why? Why didn't the millions of true Christians stand up and publicly reject those racist, sexist, bigoted, authoritarians and their religion of violence and hate? Why are they still not standing up against it? This does not speak well for religious Christianity in general when even it's better members can't find the wisdom or courage to stand up for their own professed ideals.

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
2022 figures aren't so relevant today.
Israel's genocide of Palestinians will
change in those percentages.
I agree with you that the percent is almost certainly greater today. In 2022 anti-Jewish hate crimes were 55% of religious hate crimes. Since 10/7, I would think that percent has gone up considerably. Punishing all Jews for the actions of the state of Israel is an extremely common form of antisemitism.

The point of my data was to inform the Christian who was complaining about anti-Christian hatred that really, here in the US, Christians have it pretty dang good compared to Jews.

This is not to say that there isn't serious persecution of Christians elsewhere in the world. I would scared to be a Christian if I lived in Nigeria.

FWIW, I do not accept your conclusion that Israel is committing genocide. A claim of genocide would mean they are deliberately trying to exterminate all Palestinians. That is not the case. They are going after Hamas, not Palestinians. Compare this to the Hamas charter, which does indeed call for the killing of all Jews. But that is another discussion for another day.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I agree. In 2022 anti-Jewish hate crimes were 55% of religious hate crimes. Since 10/7, I would think that percent has gone up considerably.
With crimes against Muslims having increased even more.
The point of the my data was to inform the Christian who was complaining about anti-Christian hatred that really, here in the US, Christians have it pretty dang good compared to Jews.
And the Jews have it pretty dang good compared to the Muslims.
FWIW, I do not accept your conclusion that Israel is committing genocide.
Not surprising.
We have different standards.
I apply the 1948 UN definition.
You defend Israel.
A claim of genocide would mean they are deliberately trying to exterminate all Palestinians.
That is a convenient ad hoc definition.
Try this one...
They are going after Hamas, not Palestinians.
In the process, they care little for innocent Palestinians,
who die by the tens of thousands, are maimed by the
tens of thousands, who are evicted from their homes
by the millions, & whom Israel plans to "voluntarily
emigrate" to Africa.
Compare this to the Hamas charter, which does indeed call for the killing of all Jews.
Hamas is Israel's excuse for genocide of Palestinians.
If they get in the way, their lives, health, & homes
are forfeit.
Hamas wants to kill Israelis, but they get only the
bronze. But Israel gets the gold medal for mass
murder of Muslims.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
FWIW, I do not accept your conclusion that Israel is committing genocide. A claim of genocide would mean they are deliberately trying to exterminate all Palestinians. That is not the case. They are going after Hamas, not Palestinians.

So you attribute the extreme number of civilian casualties in Gaza to sheer disregard for the Palestinian people?

Sounds like a case of Grey's Law: "sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."