• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do christianity get so much hate?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Why do christianity get so much hate? It is really frustrating.

I think for me because it lied to me about the authority it had over my life.
I don't hate it now but there was a time I felt betrayed by the trust I was told I ought to put into it by people I really thought held my best interest in mind. But, in reality, they were really trying to force me to accept their beliefs.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Why do christianity get so much hate? It is really frustrating. I am not a christian but I think about christians that get hate just because of the religion they are following. It is so sad
I agree, it's sad. It's another of the many forms of prejudice that humans are prone to. Humans in general tend to be prejudiced animals. It seems to be the way of things, a product of their social nature and the formation of "us" groups and "them" groups. These judgement can often be useful even as they can sometimes be problematic.

Firenze

Premium Member
Why do christianity get so much hate? It is really frustrating. I am not a christian but I think about christians that get hate just because of the religion they are following. It is so sad
I don’t know anyone that ‘hates’ Christianity, and it’s beyond frustrating to see this repeated so often, along with the cries of Christians that ‘we’re oppressed!’

Christians get ‘push back’. When they infiltrate school boards to replace science books with ID nonsense. When they piously claim to follow Jesus but ignore his teachings every….single….day. When they claim knowledge of the Bible that they clearly don’t possess. When they end a discussion they have clearly lost with ‘I’m so sorry you were hurt/are angry with god - I’ll pray for you!’ When they condemn the sin of idol worship as they bow down to a bigoted, sex offender demagogue who has only touched a Bible once in his life.

Christians need to distinguish between ‘hate’ and the profound sadness the humanist mind feels for people that live no better lives than anyone else while they pat themselves on the back with the empty claim of ‘living in Jesus’.
:(

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I do feel the need to iterate that what a lot of US folks associate with Christianity isn't found in Europe, where I am.

I see little in terms of creationism, some proselytism only in some cities which most folks ignore, Witnesses no longer knock on doors, Christianity is a minority in many countries and so isn't dictating to anyone about anything etc. Many here are in fact claiming the churches are too liberal.

So please bear in mind that the Christianity you're culturally accustomed to won't be the same for others.

It seems to be mostly some Evangelicals who are disliked and for what seems some good reasons, as far as I can tell, based on what I've learned of some of their activities.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Aye. And while many Christians aren't
hate filled, as a group, it exudes hatred
towards, gays, trans, Muslims, atheists,
& even other Christian sects.
I posted my thread about the Anglican Church actively looking for trans priests and even that wasn't good enough for some people on here.

I don't know what would make some people hate the Church less; at this point I think it's just part of some people's identity.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Mostly I find myself frustrated that Christians tend to care so little about the responsibility that comes with belief.

In recent years it has also become apparent that they have a very hard time with basic morality.
I wouldn't suggest morality is in any way basic, though.

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
Aye. And while many Christians aren't
hate filled, as a group, it exudes hatred
towards, gays, trans, Muslims, atheists,
& even other Christian sects.
Well it is not only christians who is against gay marriage. Many religions is against it.

And by the way many christians is not against gay marriage, many curches is open to all no matter if you are gay or not

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Hate? Christianity is the most popular religion on the planet. With fame comes a bigger target for criticism, but Christians aren't getting worse treatment in general than observers of any other religion, seems to me. Still a popular and well loved religion

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I posted my thread about the Anglican Church actively looking for trans priests and even that wasn't good enough for some people on here.

I don't know what would make some people hate the Church less; at this point I think it's just part of some people's identity.
The hate will likely exist as longs as there are
hateful groups representing Christianity, eg,
Westboro Baptist Church, Christian Dominionists.
I know it's not fair to all Christians.

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
Hate? Christianity is the most popular religion on the planet. With fame comes a bigger target for criticism, but Christians aren't getting worse treatment in general than observers of any other religion, seems to me. Still a popular and well loved religion
Well thats wrong. Christians do get worse treatment in general

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The hate will likely exist as longs as there are
hateful groups representing Christianity, eg,
Westboro Baptist Church, Christian Dominionists.
I know it's not fair to all Christians.
Again this seems a US phenomenon though?

Altfish

Veteran Member
Does it really?
I was a Christian and generally ignore it now, I do not hate it.
The only exception is when Christianity tries to tell me what I should be doing, ie Abortion, euthanasia, same sex marriage, etc.
If it stays out of politics, doesn't try to influence me, it will just pass me by.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Well thats wrong. Christians do get worse treatment in general

Most of these are by other religions.
Non-believers don't oppress