• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do christianity get so much hate?

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
And I condemn everyone who enslaves people today.

1996. The last Magdalene Institution closed in 1996.

If this were the long past where everyone involved had died well before, that would be one thing... but there are currently 13 cardinals and I-don't-know-how-many bishops still serving today who had roles of responsibility in the Church when it kept people enslaved.

28 years was long enough for the Church to condemn its past acts and toss out all those involved, but it hasn't done that. It still counts perpetrators of slavery among its most honoured leaders, and by doing so, is committing an act that the Church today is responsible for.
Read the post 71 by Rival

Starlight

And I condemn every person who kept slaves, regardless of religion.

Are you willing to condemn Christians - or Christian churches - who have kept slaves?
Of course i condems christians and christians churches who kept slaves

Starlight

Then why did you defend the Catholic Church after I condemned it for keeping slaves?
I do not defend the catholic church. I just follow the information Rival wrote. You are wrong about when the catholic church stopped having slaves

And why do you just condemn christianity when having slaves also happend in other religions?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I do not defend the catholic church. I just follow the information Rival wrote. You are wrong about when the catholic church stopped having slaves

And why do you just condemn christianity when having slaves also happend in other religions?
In England, yes. It was not legal after that. In other places, it was.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
It's because persecution of Christians for being Christian isn't really a thing.

Unfortunately, it very much is in some parts of the world, sometimes severely so. For example:

Pre-partition discrimination​

In Pakistan, more than 90 percent of people identify as practising Muslims. The country’s 2017 census estimated there to be 2.6 million Christians, about 1.27 percent of the total population, making them Pakistan’s second-largest religious minority after Hindus.

Although Pakistan was founded in 1947 with the intention of creating a tolerant and egalitarian country, Pakistani Christians have continued to endure substandard living conditions, and in recent years, the community has been the target of escalating attacks due to growing intolerance. Christians have faced persecution, targeted killings – including gunmen killing a Catholic man and a priest in two separate incidents last year – forced conversions, mob violence, and destruction of their places of worship and graves by perpetrators emboldened by the absence of meaningful action from the authorities and widespread impunity.

The Christian minority has also been heavily persecuted under Pakistan’s blasphemy laws, which carry a possible death sentence for anyone found guilty of insulting Islam. According to the Lahore-based NGO Centre for Social Justice, seven Christian individuals were charged and imprisoned over blasphemy charges in 2021. At least two others were arrested and tried for the same crime in separate incidents in 2022. The threat of being accused of blasphemy has also been used to intimidate the community.

Pakistani Christians have been forced into sanitation work – a hazardous occupation – as a result of centuries-old discriminatory practices that limit their prospects, according to Asif Aqeel, deputy director of the Center for Law and Justice (CLJ), a minority-led policy research and minority rights organisation. This “cycle of abuse” has its roots in the caste system of the Indian subcontinent, explains Aqeel, as he sits in his office in Lahore, the capital of Punjab province.

The full article is long, but I found it worth the read: How death and despair haunt Pakistan’s Christian minority

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
In England, yes. It was not legal after that. In other places, it was.
Creative interpretation. Shame nobody told all the slaves in England that they weren't actually slaves for more than 600 years.

It's kinda like the story of Juneteenth, but to a whole other level.

Weird how this 600 years overlapped with the period when the C of E was the second-biggest slaver in the Caribbean.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Creative interpretation. Shame nobody told all the slaves in England that they weren't actually slaves for more than 600 years.

It's kinda like the story of Juneteenth, but to a whole other level.

Weird how this 600 years overlapped with the period when the C of E was the second-biggest slaver in the Caribbean.
Seriously, there were not slaves in England.

They were elsewhere, sure, but literally on this island, no, it wasn't recognised.

That's just basic.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
'British merchants were a significant force behind the Atlantic slave trade between the seventeenth and nineteenth centuries,[1] but no legislation was ever passed in England that legalised slavery. In the Somerset case of 1772, Lord Mansfield ruled that, as slavery was not recognised by English law, James Somerset, a slave who had been brought to England and then escaped, could not be forcibly sent to Jamaica for sale, and he was set free.'

It's right there.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I believe many people "hate" Christianity because they come from a culture where it was/is often used as an excuse or justification for repression and persecution. They may have also experienced first hand the sanctimonious hypocrisy that many Christians are known for, which left with them a negative impression of the faith.

Starlight

So...why the emphasis Christians and
this allegedly disportionate "hatred"?
Because very few care about that christians get persecuted and killed. The world is almost silent when christians get killed.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Seriously, there were not slaves in England.

They were elsewhere, sure, but literally on this island, no, it wasn't recognised.

That's just basic.

Modern slavery still exist in England.
https://www.antislavery.org/slavery-today/slavery-uk/#:~:text=Modern slavery exists in many,bars, car washes or manufacturing.

Most modern historians generally agree that slavery continued in Britain into the late 18th century, finally disappearing around 1800.
Slavery in Britain - Wikipedia.

Yes it was banned but it didn't stop

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Modern slavery still exist in England.
https://www.antislavery.org/slavery-today/slavery-uk/#:~:text=Modern slavery exists in many,bars, car washes or manufacturing.

Most modern historians generally agree that slavery continued in Britain into the late 18th century, finally disappearing around 1800.
Slavery in Britain - Wikipedia.

Yes it was banned but it didn't stop
The wiki link I've linked to twice now says slavery was not legalised in England.

There were slaves in the colonies, not in England. This is a result of a Catholic Ecclesiastical Council declaring it illegal in 1102.

Roman Catholics did that, that's my point.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The wiki link I've linked to twice now says slavery was not legalised in England.

There were slaves in the colonies, not in England. This is a result of a Catholic Ecclesiastical Council declaring it illegal in 1102.

Roman Catholics did that, that's my point.

There were and still are slaves in England.

The RC church may have made the declaration but it only pushed slavery underground

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
It was not only christians who had slaves. Muslims had slaves too
It does no good to point to others and say "they did it too!" Two wrongs, even 20 wrongs, still don't make a right.

Christianity has to own the fact that it condoned the enslavement of human beings for their entire lives, as though they were nothing more than beasts of burden. It has to answer for how it could happen -- how the religion itself did not, for a very, very long time, use their presumed belief in the sayings of Jesus Christ to realize that owning people and working them for your own benefit is simply wrong.

Just as an example, In 1838, the Jesuits sold 272 enslaved people, which helped save what is now Georgetown University from bankruptcy and helped stabilize the Jesuits in Maryland. And I don't care what Muslims were doing at the time. That has nothing to do with it.

Starlight

It does no good to point to others and say "they did it too!" Two wrongs, even 20 wrongs, still don't make a right.

Christianity has to own the fact that it condoned the enslavement of human beings for their entire lives, as though they were nothing more than beasts of burden. It has to answer for how it could happen -- how the religion itself did not, for a very, very long time, use their presumed belief in the sayings of Jesus Christ to realize that owning people and working them for your own benefit is simply wrong.

Just as an example, In 1838, the Jesuits sold 272 enslaved people, which helped save what is now Georgetown University from bankruptcy and helped stabilize the Jesuits in Maryland. And I don't care what Muslims were doing at the time. That has nothing to do with it.
I have never said slavery is not bad. I agree with you that two wrongs don't make a right.

I said muslims did it too since you used slavery as a agrument to why you do not like christianity. My point is that it is strange to only dislike christianity when other religions did the same

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

I think it is relevant to point out that slavery existed elsewhere and was practiced by people of various religions, since that fact seems to me to show that slavery is more of a human problem than one that is particularly likely to occur under any one religion. The 20 wrongs don't make a right, but I think the fact that they are 20 means that we, as humans, can't just point to a specific religion as being especially conducive to the wrong practice.