• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did God create the Universe?

QuestioningMind

there is such evidence - it exists and no one knows why and how.

The fact that it exists is evidence that it exists, nothing more. And yes, NO ONE KNOWS how or why it came to exist, which means there is NO EVIDENCE that any god or gods did it.

Milton Platt

It doesn’t say in the bible (or – correct me if I’m wrong – in any other holy text from any other tradition either)

Perhaps we can only speculate?

I think he did because he wanted to bring meaning to his own existence

Perhaps he felt bored and lonely?

Also, is humankind at the centre of creation or did it just arise by chance?

I believe the purpose of the universe is so that there can be a humankind, a body of beings God can have a relationship with, therefore I believe humankind to be at the centre of creation (and made in God's own image)

Those are my thoughts on the matter :)

You are kinda begging the question when you state it that way. the correct questions would be something like:
1. Did the universe have a beginning?
2.What caused the universe to begin.

Humans are insignificant within the scope of our solar system, never mind the entire universe.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I have to admit the stature of organic life in the universe is that we are totally insignificant in terms of size, and natural processes. However life is the only meaningful thing this universe does produce. Great things start out small I guess.

Why does DNA have a code that produces proteins whereas the information of the code is not inherent in the chemistry?

I still say that life is it's very own field of entities. I see no reason to stop me from believing that intelligence is fundamental to existence. Just not in any preferable way.

Even going full naturalist and listening to things as only a matter of natural occurrence I still come to a place that can't be falsified and requires intellect as a real presence to get things going.

If you have an hour here's a great video on understanding the naturalist pov. It's a Christian podcast but it explores the other side in depth.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Genuine question... assuming other intelligent beings exist, would that be true for them?
For starters, I believe that other intelligent beings do exist, and yes, I believe that would also be true for them. I believe that God has created "worlds without number."

leov

The fact that it exists is evidence that it exists, nothing more. And yes, NO ONE KNOWS how or why it came to exist, which means there is NO EVIDENCE that any god or gods did it.
No physical evidence either way, it exists, science knows about 5% of it, so, we can not expect any answers anytime soon , theism has answer already.

Etritonakin

It doesn’t say in the bible (or – correct me if I’m wrong – in any other holy text from any other tradition either)

I believe the purpose of the universe is so that there can be a humankind, a body of beings God can have a relationship with, therefore I believe humankind to be at the centre of creation (and made in God's own image)

Will try to find the verse/s, but it was to essentially increase every good thing -love, wonder, creativity, etc., etc... -and specifically that it was formed to be inhabited ("of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end").
Making us in his his image ("I said 'ye are gods'") rather than just happy humans required this presently-unpleasant experience -but the future will be much different.

Here are a couple...
Isaiah 65:17For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.
18But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create:

(...but God will also delight in things we create)

Isaiah 45:18For thus says the LORD— He who created the heavens; He is God; He formed the earth and fashioned it; He established it; He did not create it to be empty, but formed it to be inhabited “I am the LORD, and there is no other.

We will be given "glorious" bodies able to create throughout the universe with power similar to that which allowed the Word who became Christ to create all things in the first place.

Romans 8:18For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. 19For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God. 20For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope, 21Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 22For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.

Phil 3:21Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

whirlingmerc

God made the universe for His glory but also as a gift for the bride of Christ, the church.

see 'the end for which God made the world" by Jonathan Edwards
as well as "God's Passion for God's Glory" by John Piper

Bird123

God created the universe because it's time-based, causal nature is Perfect for Learning.

QuestioningMind

No physical evidence either way, it exists, science knows about 5% of it, so, we can not expect any answers anytime soon , theism has answer already.

Sure, theism CLAIMS to have answers, but then anyone can make-up incorrect answers to anything. Sadly there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that the answers theism provides are in any way accurate or true.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
For starters, I believe that other I wintelligent beings do exist, and yes, I believe that would also be true for them. I believe that God has created "worlds without number."

Thanks, we believe it also. There are Hindu writings that talk of 8 million human species. I always wondered if that’s 8 million humanoid species. And how did they know?

DBE3E66A-A2DE-4CF1-B729-F782E16A8ED6.jpeg

leov

Sure, theism CLAIMS to have answers, but then anyone can make-up incorrect answers to anything. Sadly there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that the answers theism provides are in any way accurate or true.
w
From point of view of an atheist, it is accurate, not from theistic point of view as attests are not capable seeing metaphysical events.

nPeace

Veteran Member

The Bible says God made these things to his glory. I don't recall the scriptures off hand, but can search for them, if you like.
Psalm 19 comes close enough to direct though.
When God's intelligent creation views these things, they are reminded of God's awesomeness, his magnificence, and power, and they give him the praise he deserves. Revelation 4:11

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Genuine question... assuming other intelligent beings exist, would that be true for them?

For starters, I believe that other intelligent beings do exist, and yes, I believe that would also be true for them. I believe that God has created "worlds without number."

In the Baha'i Writings it is confirmed.

There are creatures on all worlds, the number that no one can compute. Out of those creatures there are more that have been created to know and love God, we are not alone and most likely far from the smartest. :)

An old tradition from the Persian area is that God created 100,000,000 lamps and that all we can see and know in our lamp (universe), is but the contents of one lamp.

Science has a lot to find :)

Regards Tony

QuestioningMind

w
From point of view of an atheist, it is accurate, not from theistic point of view as attests are not capable seeing metaphysical events.

There's also absolutely no evidence that any 'metaphysical events' exist either. Just because you can imagine it doesn't make it true.