• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did God create the Universe?

Earthtank

correct me if I’m wrong – in any other holy text from any other tradition either

The Quran says (i am paraphrasing) that he created humans to worship him. So keeping in line with that and the fact that Adam and Eve were sent down from heaven, they needed a place to be sent to, hence the universe/earth.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

It doesn’t say in the bible (or – correct me if I’m wrong – in any other holy text from any other tradition either)

Perhaps we can only speculate?

I think he did because he wanted to bring meaning to his own existence

Perhaps he felt bored and lonely?

Also, is humankind at the centre of creation or did it just arise by chance?

I believe the purpose of the universe is so that there can be a humankind, a body of beings God can have a relationship with, therefore I believe humankind to be at the centre of creation (and made in God's own image)

Those are my thoughts on the matter :)

A cosmological model known as cosmic Chaotic inflation hypothesizes there were many distinct universes forming from various regions of a multi-verse, with some universes inflating and others perhaps not. Our universe grew out of a quantum fluctuation in a pre-existing region of a much larger space-time.

Dongshan He, Dongfeng Gao, and Qingyu Cai. “Spontaneous Creation of the Universe from Nothing,” Physical Review D 89 (2014): 083510.

Spontaneous creation of the universe from nothing

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
My belief is that He created this universe, and specifically our earth, with us in mind, and that He created us so that we could have joy.

Genuine question... assuming other intelligent beings exist, would that be true for them?

Terry Sampson

I'd say since the "observable universe" isn't infinite, t

If, as I believe, your "observable universe" is a finite portion of the whole, you'd be correct to say that your "observable universe" is not infinite and that, therefore, it is not an infinite size in comparison to you. But nothing in that statement contradicts my claim, which was that your comparative size to the infinite universe, of which your "observable universe" is a finite portion, is off by an infinite number of zeros.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
re #1. The Universe has always existed and will always exist. Stuff in it is constantly in motion, joining together and forming recognizable things like stars, planets, solar systems, galaxies, and nebula, that crash into each other like bumper cars and come apart.
re: #2. Human beings are a substantially small part of the whole universe, that have a tendency to incorrectly erestimate their relevance and importance to the whole universe.
Physics has proved the universe has a starting point.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
If, as I believe, your "observable universe" is a finite portion of the whole, you'd be correct to say that your "observable universe" is not infinite and that, therefore, it is not an infinite size in comparison to you. But nothing in that statement contradicts my claim, which was that your comparative size to the infinite universe, of which your "observable universe" is a finite portion, is off by an infinite number of zeros.

Your claim is neither verifiable nor falsifiable; hence, the validity of your hypothesis is unknowable.

julianalexander745

God created the universe so that he could send his only son to be executed in the Middle East to teach everyone to love each other.

Or something.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It doesn’t say in the bible (or – correct me if I’m wrong – in any other holy text from any other tradition either)

In Meher Baba's cosmology, God had the whim to know Himself and the automatic response is the universe which is as a mirror for divinity to know divinity.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Christians may say it's because he loved us, pointing to the love of Jesus.

Baha'is may say that we've never actually heard from God directly to know for absolute sure, his 100% intent.

There is a talk given by Abdul'baha on this subject and this is that talk;

Universe
When man casts even a cursory glance of reflection upon the question of the universe, he discovers it is very ancient. A Persian philosopher was looking up into the heavens, lost in wonder. He said, "I have written a book containing seventy proofs of the accidental appearance of the universe, but I still find it very ancient." Bahá’u’lláh says, "The universe hath neither beginning nor ending." He has set aside the elaborate theories and exhaustive opinions of scientists and material philosophers by the simple statement, "There is no beginning, no ending." The theologians and religionists advance plausible proofs that the creation of the universe dates back six thousand years; the scientists bring forth indisputable facts and say, "No! These evidences indicate ten, twenty, fifty thousand years ago," etc. There are endless discussions pro and con. Bahá’u’lláh sets aside these discussions by one word and statement. He says, "The divine sovereignty hath no beginning and no ending." By this announcement and its demonstration He has established a standard of agreement among those who reflect upon this question of divine sovereignty; He has brought reconciliation and peace in this war of opinion and discussion. Briefly, there were many universal cycles preceding this one in which we are living. They were consummated, completed and their traces obliterated. The divine and creative purpose in them was the evolution of spiritual man, just as it is in this cycle. The circle of existence is the same circle; it returns. The tree of life has ever borne the same heavenly fruit.

‘Abdu’l-Bahá, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 219

Regards Tony

QuestioningMind

I believe the purpose of the universe is so that there can be a humankind, a body of beings God can have a relationship with, therefore I believe humankind to be at the centre of creation (and made in God's own image)

There's absolutely no evidence to support the notion that any God or gods created anything, let along the universe.

exchemist

Veteran Member

It seems to me absurd, given the size of the cosmos, that the purpose of creation was one bunch of apes on one tiny planet. When the bible was written, people had no idea of the scale of creation.

I suspect there are plenty of other places, with other life that has also "eaten the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil", as the Genesis allegory has it, and with whom God, if He exists, can have a relationship.