• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did God create the Universe?

QuestioningMind

have a good dsy, friend. no need to go in circles.

Just don't go claiming that theism has answer about the universe when you can't provide any evidence that these answers are in any way true or accurate. Best to just be honest and say that you don't know.

MonkeyFire

To experience pleasure, that is the corner stone of heaven. Of course Heaven must be singular and creation is a very sticky subject.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
It doesn’t say in the bible (or – correct me if I’m wrong – in any other holy text from any other tradition either)
Perhaps we can only speculate?
I think he did because he wanted to bring meaning to his own existence
Perhaps he felt bored and lonely?
Also, is humankind at the centre of creation or did it just arise by chance?
I believe the purpose of the universe is so that there can be a humankind, a body of beings God can have a relationship with, therefore I believe humankind to be at the centre of creation (and made in God's own image)
Those are my thoughts on the matter :)

First, I find God is: Creator
As being Creator that would be kind of like creating is His job. - Revelation 4:11
Since invisible spirit angels were created first before the material/physical realm then angelic life came first.
The visible realm of existence came later, kind of like The Creator was expanding His business of Creation.
Since God 'is' Love, then He wants to share the ' gift of life ' with both the invisible and visible realm.
This is why our Creator is also referred to as our Father (in heaven) . (Father meaning Life Giver )

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
To experience pleasure, that is the corner stone of heaven. Of course Heaven must be singular and creation is a very sticky subject.
I never heard pleasure is the corner stone of heaven.
I find the ones chosen to be resurrected to heaven have two (2) jobs to do.
No doubt pleasurable work to do, but nevertheless jobs to do.
Revelation 5:9-10 informs us they will act in the capacity of being both kings and priests for mankind living on Earth.
* As kings they will take care of governmental responsibilities for the people of Earth.
* As priests they will take care of spiritual duties towards the people living on Earth.
This will start around the 'time of separation' to be taking place on Earth as per Matthew 25:31-33,37,40.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Can Pagan religion embrace the Golden Rule, if yes, Abrahamic religion has no argument with Pagan.
I find anyone can embrace the Golden Rule whether religious or not.
However, only Christians embrace Jesus' New commandment as found at John 13:34-25.
Jesus said his followers would have the same self-sacrificing love for others as he has.
In other words, we are Now to love neighbor MORE than self by following in Jesus' footsteps.

leov

I find anyone can embrace the Golden Rule whether religious or not.
However, only Christians embrace Jesus' New commandment as found at John 13:34-25.
Jesus said his followers would have the same self-sacrificing love for others as he has.
In other words, we are Now to love neighbor MORE than self by following in Jesus' footsteps.
yes, it a very fine line between agape and the Golden Rule, one that crossed through Christ.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
The BBT doesn't address that point at all, so it doesn't imply EITHER possibility.
Yes it does. That’s why Hoyle put up such a fuss about it. He unwittingly named it, in his efforts to derail the theory.

One view that despite evidence, some still believe, is the Steady State model formulated by Hoyle, which says that the Universe never had a beginning. (Thereby negating a Creator.)

But the BBT, based on a lot of evidence (like the CMB), states the Universe had an origin, a starting point. (Which, at the very least, does not ‘negate’ a Creator: if the universe, revealing complexity as evidenced by the finely-tuned forces governing it, had a beginning...then there was an intelligent Cause behind it. Experience, empirical science *and logic* support this pov.)
“Ex nihilo, nihil fit.”

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Brahman does not create, Brahman simply is.
I will go with Jai. Brahman (what exists) has no need to create anything. Its existence is enough to create all the illusion of the Universe. It does not even need to exist all the time. It goes freely from existence to non-existence and vice-versa. Existence is a human concept and necessity. Brahman is not bound by it. Brahman is eternal, changeless, formless and uninvolved.

"In physics, a virtual particle is a transient quantum fluctuation that exhibits some of the characteristics of an ordinary particle, while having its existence limited by the uncertainty principle. .. The longer the virtual particle exists, the closer its characteristics come to those of ordinary particles.

In quantum field theory, even classical forces - such as the electromagnetic repulsion or attraction between two charges - can be thought of as due to the exchange of many virtual photons between the charges. Virtual photons are the exchange particle for the electromagnetic interaction.

The term is somewhat loose and vaguely defined, in that it refers to the view that the world is made up of "real particles": it is not; rather, "real particles" are better understood to be excitations of the underlying quantum fields. Virtual particles are also excitations of the underlying fields, but are "temporary" in the sense that they appear in calculations of interactions, but never as asymptotic states or indices to the scattering matrix. The accuracy and use of virtual particles in calculations is firmly established, but as they cannot be detected in experiments, deciding how to precisely describe them is a topic of debate."
Virtual particle - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist

It doesn’t say in the bible (or – correct me if I’m wrong – in any other holy text from any other tradition either)

I believe the purpose of the universe is so that there can be a humankind, a body of beings God can have a relationship with, therefore I believe humankind to be at the centre of creation (and made in God's own image)

We know exactly why God created the universe. Because we are told that humans are made in God's image, this naturally follows that God has human emotions. Now, God is probably centuries and eons and so on, better able to deal with things than us and less prone to actual killing (but people still die because their bodies aren't made to last forever, humans literally means dirt people like humus not be confused with hummus).

Before the creation of everything else, we know that the universe is an empty place and there is shapeless void swirling about. I can think about isolation better than most, as the majority of my jobs have been just me working for someone. It starts to get to you. So I can imagine pretty quickly how quickly I'd start creating stuff after being in a large space with nothing to watch but swirling void. One day at most, maybe even an hour.

Bored and lonely? Yes.

We know from Taoist Yin Yang theory, and from our understanding of Judaism that God is effectively Light and this shapeless void is also God. Essentially, Undifferentiated split into God the One and God's void, so all of that is kinda the Dark part of God, the same as all of us have shadows.

We also know that God kinda used Light to give order and form to this shapeless void, splitting it into things. Night and day, sun and moon, Earth has land and sky as well as land and sea, different animals, and finally male and female. Yet we know that God isn't really a He from this. We can safely say that either God has no fixed form, or that God is or was kinda a double sided entity (bottom line on why human look like they do, they are two halves).

We also glean an important bit from all this, that because humans are split, we have God the One (God) and God the many (all of us collectively). We have stupid feminists who haven't figured it out yet, the reason God is a He in most Biblical text is because we are intended to be She, we're supposed to be in a happy marriage.

QuestioningMind

Yes it does. That’s why Hoyle put up such a fuss about it. He unwittingly named it, in his efforts to derail the theory.

One view that despite evidence, some still believe, is the Steady State model formulated by Hoyle, which says that the Universe never had a beginning. (Thereby negating a Creator.)

But the BBT, based on a lot of evidence (like the CMB), states the Universe had an origin, a starting point. (Which, at the very least, does not ‘negate’ a Creator: if the universe, revealing complexity as evidenced by the finely-tuned forces governing it, had a beginning...then there was an intelligent Cause behind it. Experience, empirical science *and logic* support this pov.)
“Ex nihilo, nihil fit.”

All the BBT states is that the universe AS WE CURRENTLY KNOW IT had a beginning. What caused the universe to change from it previous form to it current form is UNKNOWN. NOTHING about the theory suggests that there had to be any sort of a 'creator' involved in the process.

Your 'finely-tuned' argument is silly. The fact that the universe is complex does not in ANY way support the notion that some entity 'finely tuned' it.

j1i

Smiling is charity without giving money
Whichever comes first
Man or theater invented by man?

The universe is a theater of view
Like the theater we enter to watch a play show
There are lamps and tools for viewing

As well as the universe created by God celestial mechanics where it remains afloat does not fall
We use stars in the universe to infer the road as well as indirect conditions such as keeping the solar system from exposure to radiation attacks, stones and stray asteroids.

It is a theater where you struggle with yourself against the challenges or obstacles in front of your goal
The road is straight easy, but unfortunately we like to think about turn right side or left side

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

The Writings of Baha’u’llah say why.

“O Son of Man!

I loved thy creation, hence I created thee.

“O Son of the Wondrous Vision!

I have breathed within thee a breath of My own Spirit, that thou mayest be My lover. Why hast thou forsaken Me and sought a beloved other than Me?”

O SON OF SPIRIT! There is no peace for thee save by renouncing thyself and turning unto Me; for it behooveth thee to glory in My name, not in thine own; to put thy trust in Me and not in thyself, since I desire to be loved alone and above all that is.

Hidden Words

Baha’u’llah

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Genuine question... assuming other intelligent beings exist, would that be true for them?
I’ve always thought, since there’s so much here on Earth for us to explore and enjoy, that there are beautiful things in the Universe ....nebulae, other galaxies, etc. .... for His intelligent spirit creations, i.e., angels, to enjoy, also.

Makes sense to me. And I feel that someday, mankind (we) will have the technology to do so, explore the universe.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Obviously because S/He had plenty of time on his/her hands(?) (like 13 billions years), liked to kip whilst it all progressed, woke when things got interesting on one inconspicuous little planet, and started playing giant-sized chess with the more naughty specimens when a poke here and there amused him/her. Seems obvious to me. :rolleyes:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
yes, it a very fine line between agape and the Golden Rule, one that crossed through Christ.
Agape' or principled love is involved with the Golden Rule and with Jesus New commandment of John 13:34-35.
Since Jesus' New commandment involves brotherly love (philia') then more than principled agape' love is involved.
Principled agape' love does Not have to mean with emotion ( No emotional feelings needed to love one's enemies but to have principled love ) whereas brotherly love would include tender feelings.
So, yes, a very fine line to cross over to follow Jesus.