• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Is Really Running The Country?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
If Trump was president, does anyone here seriously think he would be aiding the Ukraine with weapons like Biden and we are? After all, Trump and Putin are BFF.

BTW, I was listening to a retired 4-star general a couple of weeks ago, and he pointed out that with Putin's mentality, if we don't threaten at least the possibility of militarily retaliating, then Putin wouldn't likely hesitate to possibly use at least tactical nukes. Seems like a veteran should know that.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Oh, like the Trump and the Trumpettes didn't badmouth Obama and Biden even after Trump won the election? :p

That's politics!

Yeah. What might have been amusing is if, after Trump's calculated attack against Hunter Biden, that Bernie had won the primary.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Oh, like the Trump and the Trumpettes didn't badmouth Obama and Biden even after Trump won the election? :p

That's politics!
:) If they did two years after, then they were infected with the Obama virus. :D I don't think I had more than a two month Obama bug (if that)

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I have friends who live 9 months a year in Taiwan. He's a bike racer and his wife is Taiwanese, so her family is there. Taiwan has had almost no Covid impact. They had very tight restrictions from people coming into the island nation. JP posts pictures almost daily about his life there. They had bike races while most of the rest of the world saw a serious decline in events. Their lives went on normal, and it was incredible to see. The society in Taiwan is very safe and stable. Their economy is stable due to the strict Covid rules. They have their own culture, their own government, their own way of life. They have freedom of the press unlike Chinese people, so they know what is happening around the world. If China was to invade this island nation would collapse much like Ukraine. I don't know if there would be a war, but the stability would collapse and the nation would be thrown into chaos and not be valuable to China any time soon.

I agree that if China were to invade Taiwan, they would be in for one heck of a fight. Unlike Ukraine, which mostly flat with no natural defenses whatsoever, Taiwan would be an island fortress. Just as the U.S. was wary of attacking Japan in an amphibious invasion, China should be equally wary. Even the invasion of Okinawa was a bloodbath, and Japan was on its last legs at that point. Similarly, the D-Day invasion of Normandy was also quite hairy, even though the Germans were spread pretty thin and were convinced that the invasion would come at Calais.

I suspect China and the the USA are just jousting with political rhetoric over Taiwan.

I agree. I seriously doubt China would invade Taiwan, so there's really no need for the U.S. to address the issue. Even if they did have any thoughts of invading, I think they're looking at Putin's debacle in Ukraine and wondering if it's such a good idea.

And I suspect this thread is yet another conservative deflection from the anti-abortion issue and the latest mass murder and the gun debate. It's obvious that conservatives in the uSA are on the hot seat with two explosive and unpopular positions on important issues. Conservatives oppose aboriton access and oppose gun safety measures. Both positions are the minority view of Americans. My guess is that threads like this, being critical of Biden, is an attempt to discredit Democrats. I don't see conservatives able to defend and promote their policy positions successfully so must resort to bland criticism.

Such criticisms are commonplace. Whoever is the sitting President, there will always be critics from the other side finding every little reason to criticize them. I think it's a bit over the top to suggest that a minor gaffe would lead to a conclusion that someone else must be running the country. The standard conservative line on Biden these days seems to focus on his age and moments when he appears to be confused. They think they might gain political points this way, although I'm not so sure. Besides, even assuming that they somehow manage to get Biden out of office due to some perceived "diminished capacity," then Harris would become President. Is that what they really want?

F1fan

Veteran Member
Besides, even assuming that they somehow manage to get Biden out of office due to some perceived "diminished capacity," then Harris would become President. Is that what they really want?
Spot on. I had no idea until my dad introduced me to a guy he knew as we were leaving restaurant back in the summer of 2020. My dad and the guy started chatting politics and he said "If this Biden character gets in there's going to be one of them as vice president." I was pretty stunned that this guy had no idea of my politics but felt no problem saying this in front of someone he just met.

I was tempted to ask what "one of them" meant, but either way it wasn't good.

metis

A lot of people say things were the worst under Obama. I considered it the best time.
Yep, and at least Obama had basic Judeo-Christian & humanitarian morals that were and are sorely missing with Trump even as his own sister, who he says he's the closest to, has stated as well as his niece.

So, today while Biden is going to Texas to be there with the families affected by the mass killing, Trump is in Texas and attending the NRA convention with the gun lobby. As Gandhi lamented, "To cooperate with evil is evil".

And I strongly believe that character matters, such as found in the Sermon On the Mount and the Parable of the Sheep & Goats, so how can a person support someone like Trump who exhibits materialism, hedonism, dishonesty, racism, etc, on a regular basis? And then he tried to overturn the results of an election while praising those who injured 140 officers on January 6th! How is that in any way compatible with the Gospel? How is it that some are so willing to ignore character?

Sorry for the rant.

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member
Yep, and at least Obama had basic Judeo-Christian & humanitarian morals that were and are sorely missing with Trump even as his own sister, who he says he's the closest to, has stated as well as his niece.

So, today while Biden is going to Texas to be there with the families affected by the mass killing, Trump is in Texas and attending the NRA convention with the gun lobby. As Gandhi lamented, "To cooperate with evil is evil".

And I strongly believe that character matters, such as found in the Sermon On the Mount and the Parable of the Sheep & Goats, so how can a person support someone like Trump who exhibits materialism, hedonism, dishonesty, racism, etc, on a regular basis? And then he tried to overturn the results of an election while praising those who injured 140 officers on January 6th! How is that in any way compatible with the Gospel? How is it that some are so willing to ignore character?

Sorry for the rant.
Well said. Character and ethics has definitely been lost in American society in general, but especially among conservatives, who ironically consider themselves Christians even though their behavior is often contrary to what Jesus taught. I don't know how they reconcile this lack of moral foundation but they seem unhappy, mean, cruel, aggressive, uncompromising, and intolerant as a basic set of personality traits.

metis

Well said. Character and ethics has definitely been lost in American society in general, but especially among conservatives, who ironically consider themselves Christians even though their behavior is often contrary to what Jesus taught. I don't know how they reconcile this lack of moral foundation but they seem unhappy, mean, cruel, aggressive, uncompromising, and intolerant as a basic set of personality traits.
I hear ya, as we've seen over and over again partisan political positions dominating over what Jesus taught. When over 60% of people who say that they still believe in Trump, then those churches are simply preaching a counter-"gospel", especially since Jesus strongest emphasis was on belief and moral character. This is the emphasis of his Sermon On the Mount and his Parable of the Sheep & Goats a well as most other parables.