• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who has actually read the Book of Mormon?

Have you read the entire Book of Mormon? Bible?

• Total voters

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
I am curious because there have been so many here on RF who dismiss the Book of Mormon so easily yet don't know anything about it...

So who has actually read the ENTIRE book, cover to cover? (please note you may vote for more than one choice to allow a vote on the BofM and the Bible).

I have (entirely) read both the Bible (in many varied translations) and the Book of Mormon numerous times.

Is there a test, or a pop quiz to follow? Bring it...

*rubs hands*

;-)

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
I have (entirely) read both the Bible (in many varied translations) and the Book of Mormon numerous times.

*rubs hands*

;-)

no test. I was just curious to see who had read it.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
I've read it several times and participated in a few online and "real world" studies with LDS members.

I find this quite astounding after reading your claim that mormonism teaches Pelagianism. Anyone who even skimmed through the Book of Mormon would know that our doctrine teaches nothing of the sort. What gives? I don't see how you could have read the Book of Mormon "several times" and still not understand our most basic of doctrines...

SoyLeche

meh...
For me, the war chapters are as good as Ambien. If I were reading the book for the first time, I'd have to skip the last part of 2 Nephi and a good hunk of Alma. I would have probably done that when I read it in Seminary, except that my Seminary teacher said he'd give us an F if we didn't read every word in the book. King Benjamin's sermon, though, is absolutely beautiful, as are some parts of Alma, and of course Christ's appearance to the Nephites in 3 Nephi.
I know how you feel. I would suggest to most people who are reading it the first time to do the same thing.

Once you get a good overview of what is going on there they are quite interesting though. That's why reading them through quickly is so helpful. After you've done that you can go back and read them more slowly and they make a lot more sense.

I think I've pointed this out before, but Hugh Nibley gave a pretty good lecture about the Book of Mormon and military history: Speeches Website

It's only available there in audio form though. I don't think you'll be able to find the text on the internet (it's probably in some book somewhere and therefore copyrighted).

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
I got a BoM from some very nice missionaries who came to visit a few months after I moved here. I read about the first 50 or 60 pages, flipped through some other parts and then got distracted. :eek:

I spent some time, not long before I joined here actually, as a Christian ('bout 2 years or so, I think) and I finished reading the Bible through a study plan.

Wilder

Re-directed Mormon
i'm reading the Book of Mormon, and i like to read it MUCH better than the Bible (i only got into like the 11th chapter of the book of Genesis)

madhatter85

Transhumanist
My Wife has been reading the book of Mormon on her own and she thinsk it is beautiful, she's an english major and her family is very hardcore RC. yet she loves reading it and she always complains that there isn't enough time in the day to read it.

(she's also contemplating baptism woot)

DeepShadow

White Crow

*shrug* I could come up with one, if you want. Should we open this up to others?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
It takes me ages to read anything, the BoM is taking me even longer because i have what i call my "reading quirks", one of them being that repetition when i'm reading drives me mad.
Then you had better never try to read the Pali suttas. :D

I don't know about the BoM, but for the Pali suttas it's because these scriptures were not originally meant to be read but rather recited/chanted.

UnityNow101

I have never read a single passage of the Book of Mormon but would be delighted to do so. I may pick up a copy from Barnes and Noble if they are sold there and read it for myself. Thanks for posting the thread. I have never realized that I have never checked out that book revered by so many people.

jonny

I have never read a single passage of the Book of Mormon but would be delighted to do so. I may pick up a copy from Barnes and Noble if they are sold there and read it for myself. Thanks for posting the thread. I have never realized that I have never checked out that book revered by so many people.

Doubleday prints a commercial version of the book, but you can get one from free by stopping by an LDS Church tomorrow morning and asking. Just don't give them your address if you don't want missionaries to stop by.

madhatter85

Transhumanist

13+ million alive today, and many millions before us :p.

the book is free, just call the local missionaries or request a copy online you won't be able to find one at barnes and noble.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
I've read less than half, but i'm getting there slowly. Thanks again to Katz for taking the trouble to send it to me. :)

It takes me ages to read anything, the BoM is taking me even longer because i have what i call my "reading quirks", one of them being that repetition when i'm reading drives me mad.
I once read a novel where the author used the word scintillating once every ten pages, i got so irritated i actually throw the book in the trash at one point (to later fish it out again, a bit smellier for its adventures).
So as you can imagine i can only read the BoM in short bursts, although gradually i am learning to skim over the phrase "And it came to pass..."

Ether 2:17 And they were built after a manner that they were exceedingly atight, even that they would hold water like unto a dish; and the bottom thereof was tight like unto a dish; and the sides thereof were tight like unto a dish; and the ends thereof were peaked; and the top thereof was tight like unto a dish; and the length thereof was the length of a tree; and the door thereof, when it was shut, was tight like unto a dish.

Feel the burn! :D

silvermoon383

Try this one on for size!

30 And now it came to pass that all this was done in Mormon, yea, by the waters of Mormon, in the forest that was near the waters of Mormon; yea, the place of Mormon, the waters of Mormon, the forest of Mormon, how beautiful are they to the eyes of them who there came to the knowledge of their Redeemer; yea, and how blessed are they, for they shall sing to his praise forever. -Mosiah 18:30