• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who has actually read the Book of Mormon?

Have you read the entire Book of Mormon? Bible?

• Total voters

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
I am curious because there have been so many here on RF who dismiss the Book of Mormon so easily yet don't know anything about it...

So who has actually read the ENTIRE book, cover to cover? (please note you may vote for more than one choice to allow a vote on the BofM and the Bible).

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I would say I have read about 3/4 of the Book of Mormon
As I don't read things like this, cover to cover, but by whim or as part of a study, I suspect that there may be parts of the Old Testament in the Bible I have not read, this would probably include some of the psalms as I have never read them from start to finish..

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
I would say I have read about 3/4 of the Book of Mormon
As I don't read things like this, cover to cover, but by whim or as part of a study, I suspect that there may be parts of the Old Testament in the Bible I have not read, this would probably include some of the psalms as I have never read them from start to finish..

is it difficult to follow reading it in bits and pieces like that having never read it front to back?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I've read the entire Bible several times. But, it wasn't until I was introduced to a Daily Bible that I was able to accomplish that. The segregated format made it much, much easier to know what to read on a daily basis. I'd recommend to anyone reading through the Bible this way.

I've never read the Book of Mormom. I wouldn't even know where to get one. Do libraries generally have copies?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
is it difficult to follow reading it in bits and pieces like that having never read it front to back?

Not at all difficult, If you are accustomed to reading that way. you need to read fairly large passages and always read over some, if you have broken off in the middle of something.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
Does the blue cover and gold lettering have any religious significance or is it just a result of church leaders being BYU fans?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I have read the Book of Mormon from cover to cover. But that was a looooong time ago, back in high school, when I still read books of scriptures as if they were books with consecutive chapters.

I read the Bible from cover to cover during that same time period. But I have also read parts of the Bible over and over and over again. For example, I am very familiar with Genesis, Exodus, Job, Psalms, Ecclesiastes, Jonah, the synoptic gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke) and James. I am less familiar with Ruth, Ester, Proverbs, Isaiah, Acts, Romans, and the Corinthians. And I only vaguely remember most of the other books. I remember the stories of Samson and Daniel and Solomon and David, but don't know where they are exactly. And I could tell you my favorite verses from Amos (5:24) and Micah (6:8) but that's about it.

Scott1

I've read it several times and participated in a few online and "real world" studies with LDS members.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I've never read the Book of Mormom. I wouldn't even know where to get one. Do libraries generally have copies?

They do, or you could ask anyone of the LDS, I believe I actually have a couple of spare ones just floating around.

Smoke

Done here.
Whoops. I clicked that I've read the entire Book of Mormon, but voted before I read all the way down. I've also read the entire Bible, including deuterocanonicals, multiple times. BoM only once in its entirety.

Smoke

Done here.
I've read the entire Bible several times. But, it wasn't until I was introduced to a Daily Bible that I was able to accomplish that. The segregated format made it much, much easier to know what to read on a daily basis. I'd recommend to anyone reading through the Bible this way.

Free Book of Mormon.

Be forewarned, though: it doesn't make very interesting reading. Think Leviticus; maybe Ezekiel.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I'd like to, but I don't have one. And also, in my adventures in trying to read the Bible, the print was so small that reading it gave me a headache, I'm afraid it'll be the same with the BoM.

Booko

Deviled Hen

Sometimes you retain the details better if you take it a bit at a time.

But I've read the Book of Mormon and the Bible in its entirety, though it's been a while since I've reread the entire Book of Mormon. I got a start on it late last year.

SoyLeche

meh...
I've read the entire Bible and the entire Book of Mormon. In Spanish.
I haven't read the entire Bible in Spanish, but I've read the BoM in spanish a few times (at least 3, maybe 4).

I've read the Book of Mormon at least 15 times. I have to disagree entirely with MidnightBlue - it is fairly interesting. Much more interesting than Leviticus, and a lot easier to understand than most of the Bible once you get the basic storyline down.

I have read the entire Bible through, and most of it multiple times.

DeepShadow

White Crow
Free Book of Mormon.

Be forewarned, though: it doesn't make very interesting reading. Think Leviticus; maybe Ezekiel.

ROTFL! It's not quite as bad as Leviticus! Okay, maybe Ether is, and maybe some of the Isaiah parts of 2nd Nephi...

Still, I think Ezekiel is a better comparison. Lots of the later OT books would be good comparisons, anything past Job.

Oh, and I've read them all several times. Gotta vote.

Scott1

I've read the entire Bible and the entire Book of Mormon. In Spanish.
Oh wow... I've really gotta learn Spanish.... I've been told that reading Scripture in another language is quite a educational experience because of the difference nuances in translations.... I would also love to read some of our Catholic Saint's writings in Spanish like St. Catherine.

SoyLeche

meh...
Oh wow... I've really gotta learn Spanish.... I've been told that reading Scripture in another language is quite a educational experience because of the difference nuances in translations.... I would also love to read some of our Catholic Saint's writings in Spanish like St. Catherine.
I would probably need a different translation in Spanish to really be able to feel that I understood what the Bible said. Reina Valera is too old school for me. I can handle King James english, but it would take me a while to get used to Reina Valera spanish :)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I was given a Book of mormon by some missionaries who stopped by and read the whole thing. It's a much more unified, homogenous book than the Bible, and can be read as a historical narrative as well as a religious tract.

I enjoyed it -- I particularly liked the pictures. ;)