• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who has actually read the Book of Mormon?

Have you read the entire Book of Mormon? Bible?

• Total voters

Aqualung

Tasty
I would probably need a different translation in Spanish to really be able to feel that I understood what the Bible said. Reina Valera is too old school for me. I can handle King James english, but it would take me a while to get used to Reina Valera spanish :)

I think Reina Valera is easier than King James. The only problem I've had is in the OT during the laws when it specifies certain animals must be offered for certain things. I don't know my animals at all, other than dog or cat.

Scott1 said:
Oh wow... I've really gotta learn Spanish.... I've been told that reading Scripture in another language is quite a educational experience because of the difference nuances in translations.... I would also love to read some of our Catholic Saint's writings in Spanish like St. Catherine.
Yeah, it is. Sometimes reading it in a different language can allow you to see a different interpretation that maybe you wouldn't have seen in the same english version you've read a thousand times. What it's literally saying is relatively constant, but when it's said in a different way or order it can sometimes jog your mind into thinking about it differently.

groovyable

Ive read all of the Greek scriptures (NT) and Genesis, Exodus, Deut, Psalms, Daniel, Proverbs, Ruth, Micah, Malachi and Isaiah from cover to cover. Yet i have also read bits of other books within the Bible, like Job, for example and others like Amos, Zechariah and Habakkuk. Where as the book of mormon does interest me, ive only read some quotes and the odd line of it, yet i would like my own book of mormon to studie it more instead of reading it online.

Smoke

Done here.
I've read the entire Bible and the entire Book of Mormon. In Spanish.
Would a translation of the BoM into a language other than English have the same authority for a Mormon as Smith's English version?

I have a Spanish Bible (Protestant, for some reason; I got it from the American Bible Society) and a Russian Bible, but they mostly just sit on the shelf.

I've read the Protestant Bible (no deuterocanonicals) in German, and the New Testament and Psalms in Greek and Latin, though I'm not fluent in either. Familiarity will take you a long way.

I prefer the sound and rhythm of the Greek; like the ancients, if I read Greek I read aloud.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I've read less than half, but i'm getting there slowly. Thanks again to Katz for taking the trouble to send it to me. :)

It takes me ages to read anything, the BoM is taking me even longer because i have what i call my "reading quirks", one of them being that repetition when i'm reading drives me mad.
I once read a novel where the author used the word scintillating once every ten pages, i got so irritated i actually throw the book in the trash at one point (to later fish it out again, a bit smellier for its adventures).
So as you can imagine i can only read the BoM in short bursts, although gradually i am learning to skim over the phrase "And it came to pass..."

Smoke

Done here.
It takes me ages to read anything, the BoM is taking me even longer because i have what i call my "reading quirks", one of them being that repetition when i'm reading drives me mad.
Then you'd better take the BoM in short bursts. :D

madhatter85

Transhumanist
I've read less than half, but i'm getting there slowly. Thanks again to Katz for taking the trouble to send it to me. :)

I once read a novel where the author used the word scintillating once every ten pages, i got so irritated i actually throw the book in the trash at one point (to later fish it out again, a bit smellier for its adventures).
So as you can imagine i can only read the BoM in short bursts, although gradually i am learning to skim over the phrase "And it came to pass..."

hahahahahaha yeah, we mormons have jokes about how "it came to pass"

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
hahahahahaha yeah, we mormons have jokes about how "it came to pass"
Do you know if there are edited versions with the phrase removed?

I mean, it's mostly unnecessary in regards to the stories being told, and it would make it much more reader friendly, for me anyway. :)

SoyLeche

meh...
The war chapters are quite good if you just buckle down and read all of them in one sitting. Trying to do them a chapter at a time just doesn't cut it.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The war chapters are quite good if you just buckle down and read all of them in one sitting. Trying to do them a chapter at a time just doesn't cut it.
For me, the war chapters are as good as Ambien. If I were reading the book for the first time, I'd have to skip the last part of 2 Nephi and a good hunk of Alma. I would have probably done that when I read it in Seminary, except that my Seminary teacher said he'd give us an F if we didn't read every word in the book. King Benjamin's sermon, though, is absolutely beautiful, as are some parts of Alma, and of course Christ's appearance to the Nephites in 3 Nephi.

jonny

I didn't read the Book of Mormon straight through until shortly before I left on my mission. I read it a couple times on my mission - once in German. I never read the Bible all the way through, but I'm trying. I'm having a hard time getting through Numbers. I gave up and started reading the New Testament. Over the years I'm sure I've read most of it at one point or another.

I never read the Bible all the way through in German, but it was interesting to read it. Germans are really particular about which version of the Bible they use - the Catholics have their bible & the Lutherns have theirs. The Mormons use a version that both of the churches got together and translated.