• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who has actually read the Book of Mormon?

Have you read the entire Book of Mormon? Bible?

• Total voters

DeepShadow

White Crow
I have (entirely) read both the Bible (in many varied translations) and the Book of Mormon numerous times.

Is there a test, or a pop quiz to follow? Bring it...

*rubs hands*

;-)

s2a, you still in?

So how should we do this? Should I write out all the questions, and you can send me your answers by PM? Or should I do them one by one, and we can all frubal whoever gets it first?

I'm working out the questions, but it is hard to make them so that they can't just be searched on a website.

SoyLeche

meh...
s2a, you still in?

So how should we do this? Should I write out all the questions, and you can send me your answers by PM? Or should I do them one by one, and we can all frubal whoever gets it first?

I'm working out the questions, but it is hard to make them so that they can't just be searched on a website.
But you have to put your answers in spoiler tags

Reactions: s2a

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Ether 2:17 And they were built after a manner that they were exceedingly atight, even that they would hold water like unto a dish; and the bottom thereof was tight like unto a dish; and the sides thereof were tight like unto a dish; and the ends thereof were peaked; and the top thereof was tight like unto a dish; and the length thereof was the length of a tree; and the door thereof, when it was shut, was tight like unto a dish.

Feel the burn! :D

silvermoon383 said:
Try this one on for size!

30 And now it came to pass that all this was done in Mormon, yea, by the waters of Mormon, in the forest that was near the waters of Mormon; yea, the place of Mormon, the waters of Mormon, the forest of Mormon, how beautiful are they to the eyes of them who there came to the knowledge of their Redeemer; yea, and how blessed are they, for they shall sing to his praise forever. -Mosiah 18:30
You guys are mean... ;)

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
s2a, you still in?

Whups, my bad.

I've been busy with a Habitat for Humanity build these past few days (seems I'm a better carpenter and organizer than I like to be known for...).

In answer, I'll leave the general parameters of your "quiz" as best comforts/suits your own sensibilities.

I'd prefer that your quiz be submitted online and here within RF, so that others might benefit/profit from our indulgent exchange.

My own archive of varied and distinct "LDS approved" liturgy should suffice...well beyond the most popularized/rote sources available on the web (though I withhold the right to quote/cite most readily available/expedient online source in lent rebuttal/answer). Please do constrain your challenging inquiries to accepted LDS doxology/texts/dogma (within foundational texts). I can not be expected to account for any individual Mormon's lent "testimony of faith" in some supposed autobiographical/"witnessed" tome of personalized "interpretation".

[PS. I'm not especially motivated in seeking receipt of RF frubals, but they are always appreciated. I offer no pretense of exceptional expertise regarding Mormon teachings and faith, but I remain confident enough (in my own understanding) that every Mormon "argument" has an a acceptable rebuttal or "answer".]

[PPS. I'll be pleased enough to indulge personal correspondence by PM (ie., "I have embarrassing genital warts, which cause me to experience heightened doubts in public")...but barring such special considerations, I'd prefer that our prospective exchanges remain available for more public purposes of evaluative entertainment and insight.]

Is that fair enough?

SoyLeche

meh...
But you have to put your answers in spoiler tags
It has been requested that I show how the spoiler tags work. I can't take credit, though, cuz someone else showed me.

The easiest thing to do is to click the "Show/Hide" button on the toolbar above the reply window. Then you put in a title and have at it. If you want to do it the hard way:

(spoiler="Click to see what I mean")But you have to put your answers in spoiler tags(/spoiler)

Replace the round ( with square [ and you've got yourself a spoiler :)

Aqualung

Tasty
It has been requested that I show how the spoiler tags work. I can't take credit, though, cuz someone else showed me.

The easiest thing to do is to click the "Show/Hide" button on the toolbar above the reply window. Then you put in a title and have at it. If you want to do it the hard way:

(spoiler="Click to see what I mean")But you have to put your answers in spoiler tags(/spoiler)

Replace the round ( with square [ and you've got yourself a spoiler :)

Just use tags around things like that and you won't have to worry about replacing the [ with (.

DavyCrocket2003

Try this one on for size!

30 And now it came to pass that all this was done in Mormon, yea, by the waters of Mormon, in the forest that was near the waters of Mormon; yea, the place of Mormon, the waters of Mormon, the forest of Mormon, how beautiful are they to the eyes of them who there came to the knowledge of their Redeemer; yea, and how blessed are they, for they shall sing to his praise forever. -Mosiah 18:30

Oh come on! Mosiah didn't write that. That was an insertion by the narrator, Mormon. Don't you expect him to have a little emotional connection to his namesake? I actually find it touching. Mormon puts a little bit of his feelings into the book here and I welcome it.

mcteethinator

Idiosyncratic Muslim
I have not read the Book of Mormon, however I dismiss it because there is no proof for any of the historical information the Golden Plates was chronicling, no real proof that the Golden plates even existed (Just happened to be taken back by the angels when he had finished transcribing it) and while mainstream Christianity flirts with polytheism with the whole Trinity thing (While not actually being polytheism), Mormonism is explicitly polytheistic since Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit are three seperate beings. Now, I do not need to read the Book of Mormon to know these theological concepts, since I know Mormons believe in these things.

Now, I do not mind Mormons per se, and I have a lot of Mormon friends who are following their religion well and because of it they are very nice people. There seem to be a lot of Mormons on this forum and they're very intelligent people. Yet, the Book of Mormon just strikes me as fraudulent.

Maybe some Mormons could clear my "misconceptions" about Mormonism?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I have not read the Book of Mormon, however I dismiss it because there is no proof for any of the historical information the Golden Plates was chronicling, no real proof that the Golden plates even existed (Just happened to be taken back by the angels when he had finished transcribing it) and while mainstream Christianity flirts with polytheism with the whole Trinity thing (While not actually being polytheism), Mormonism is explicitly polytheistic since Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit are three seperate beings. Now, I do not need to read the Book of Mormon to know these theological concepts, since I know Mormons believe in these things.

Now, I do not mind Mormons per se, and I have a lot of Mormon friends who are following their religion well and because of it they are very nice people. There seem to be a lot of Mormons on this forum and they're very intelligent people. Yet, the Book of Mormon just strikes me as fraudulent.

Maybe some Mormons could clear my "misconceptions" about Mormonism?

Proof is a question of faith....
There is no proof God exists Or that all religious texts are more than the writing of man.
Your doubts can equally apply to the bible and the Koran.

mcteethinator

Idiosyncratic Muslim
Proof is a question of faith....
There is no proof God exists Or that all religious texts are more than the writing of man.
Your doubts can equally apply to the bible and the Koran.

Yes, but at least there is proof that Muhammad existed, or that the Hebews existed, the Arabs, etc. Like, even if they were written by man, we at least have some proof that the civilizations that they write about/from existed. There is no proof that Native Americans are descendants of Jews. Now, there's a difference between having faith in God, which is inherently unknowable and having faith in History. Mormon history does not make any logical sense to me.

SoyLeche

meh...
Oh come on! Mosiah didn't write that. That was an insertion by the narrator, Mormon. Don't you expect him to have a little emotional connection to his namesake? I actually find it touching. Mormon puts a little bit of his feelings into the book here and I welcome it.
Try reading the posts in context. Silvermoon wasn't disparaging that verse at all. He was trying to get under Halcyon's skin by posting a verse that repeats itself over and over again.

DavyCrocket2003

Try reading the posts in context. Silvermoon wasn't disparaging that verse at all. He was trying to get under Halcyon's skin by posting a verse that repeats itself over and over again.

I know, but something in me just wanted to defend Mormon. I mean you have to understand where he's coming from when he says that.

DeepShadow

White Crow
s2a, I appreciate your concerns, but you've violated two of the rules that I imposed on my quiz: you posted your answers on the forum--thereby compromising the quiz for others--and you expressed your concerns about fairness on the wrong thread. Please send me your answers in a PM and move your concerns to the proper thread.