• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White Privilege Conference

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Seems a white attendee was removed from the conference according to progressives today. I haven't looked further into this, I'll report back with my factual findings on this report.

WPC14 UNDERCOVER VIDEO
White Student Booted From White Privilege Session-His Race Was Too Offensive - Fox Nation

UPDATE: Doesn't appear to be a student, but a RW reporter for PT was not allowed into an event reserved for certain races. Still looking into it. This doesn't sit well with the above sources and their misleading nature.
Of course, there's a problem in covering such events. Fox & friends will find fault, but Salon,
NPR & fellow leftish sources will only see a rainbow coalition singing Kumbaya.
The only way to actually see what's going would be to attend, but criminy, it looks tedious.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Of course, there's a problem in covering such events. Fox will find fault, but Salon,
NPR & fellow leftish sources will only see a rainbow coalition singing Kumbaya.
The only way to actually see what's going would be to attend, but criminy, it looks tedious.
I'd recommend looking into what the conference is all about. This isn't the first year they've had these conferences. Why is the right in such an outrage now? I'd be willing to bet the image painted continually by the right isn't even accurate as to what the conference is all about. They're playing the race card again.

Alceste

Vagabond
There's nothing shaming about the fact that having a European ethnic background is one factor that offers us a competitive advantage in the West. To me it's just data. I can make whatever I like of it, whether that means feeling "attacked" whenever someone mentions it or supporting reasonable efforts to level the playing field. Or doing nothing.

Many other factors also offer a competitive advantage. Some of them are bizarre. Being tall, for example.

I mostly get my raw data from academic sources, not political blog posts. Could that be why I'm just not seeing or feeling any of the emotional subtext others are attributing to those of us who are aware of our own privilege?

I'm starting to think that feeling attacked and being attacked are very different things, too often mistaken for one another. If you feel attacked or shamed when others talk about privilege, you might consider owning those feelings. They're yours.

Last edited:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
But Heather, neither one of those groups targeted based on skin colour.

Feminists and gay rights groups? No, but they both are activists who are speaking up for protected classes. Minority rights groups who also write or speak on critical race theory receive the same flavor of criticisms as feminists do (for being angry), and as gay rights do (e.g. the Gay Agenda). People of color, women, and LGBTs are members of disadvantaged classes, and speaking up about it tends to draw ire from males, whites, and males - though not necessarily all those three together.

Also, I am bothered about the psychological implications of telling disadvantage blacks that the system is designed to discriminate against them. To my thinking, that would foster hostility and a sense of grave injustice. I don't see how that would "lift the disadvantaged group up" but I can certainly see how it would make them bitter and deeply resentful.

I have worked in and traveled around East St. Louis, IL....a deeply impoverished and nearly entirely black community that is notorious for its high crime rates. If any community represents inner city ghetto life, that is one, and I've many times been involved with artists from the area. The Katherine Dunham center is located there, and she was part of the university that I graduated from and teach at, so I have found myself in East St. Louis often. My house is also 10 minutes away from that city, too, so getting gas for the car or buying bread and milk at the store will have me crossing paths many many times with impoverished blacks.

And of course, I've dated and have been intimate with blacks as well, AND I can say that quite a few of close friend I have and that I trust are black. But many times, saying that falls on deaf ears, so I tend to also bring up my residential and professional locations.

In all this time, even when I've driven through the projects, and even when I've witnessed groups of black men grabbing their lead pipes and guns ready to come to blows in gang wars, and even when I've seen 8 year old kids running around with baseball bats hitting down stop signs while I've done work in the city, I haven't been targeted. I've done work there for around 25 years, Paul, and as much as they see and discuss white privilege, the worst they feel about whites is that they don't trust them.

This in a city where white people go for strip clubs and for the bars that don't close at 2am. A good amount of gay bars are located there too since the city wants some sort of tax revenue when other communities don't want "vice" businesses.

My point is that as notorious as East St. Louis has been in media about crime, poverty, and violence rates, one would think I'd found myself run out of town, killed, raped, beat up, you name it.

No, what is deplorable in that area is that they're killing each other. The city council and police force and school administrators demonstrate corruption by taking the tax dollars and putting them toward personal luxury items. And the people are left on their own to figure out their own safety and education.

As far as I'm concerned, as much as I've actually been in areas and with people that are believed to be a threat to me, and talking with and working with as many people as I have there, my impression is that the hostility is mostly self-directed. Conversations about white privilege run the same amount of heat and understanding as feminist conversations about male privilege, queer discussions about straight privilege, and more recently trans folk discussions about cis-gendered privilege.

Hope that helps you see where I'm coming from, at least on a personal level.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
There's nothing shaming about the fact that having a European ethnic background is one factor that offers us a competitive advantage in the West. To me it's just data. I can make whatever I like of it, whether that means feeling "attacked" whenever someone mentions it or supporting reasonable efforts to level the playing field. Or doing nothing.

Many other factors also offer a competitive advantage. Some of them are bizarre. Being tall, for example.

I can attest to that. Ever try driving a car or sitting at a conference table at 4'11"? That's a struggle to reach with my toes. :D

I mostly get my raw data from academic sources, not political blog posts. Could that be why I'm just not seeing or feeling any of the emotional subtext others are attributing to those of us who are aware of our own privilege?

Or, you are secretly ashamed of your own race, rather like male feminists are called "manginas" by those who are critical of or hostile toward feminism.

Academic sources are good. I offer my own personal experience as well so that I'm not just stuffed away in my library looking up sources. It's one thing to talk about the poor. It's another to talk about it and refuse to be around it.

I'm starting to think that feeling attacked and being attacked are very different things, too often mistaken for one another. If you feel attacked or shamed when others talk about privilege, you might consider owning those feelings. They're yours.

I agree.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
UPDATE: Doesn't appear to be a student, but a RW reporter for PT was not allowed into an eventreserved for certain races.

See, this is precisely the blatant racism and hypocrisy we're talking about. This is why this sort of garbage can't be taken seriously.

dust1n

Zindīq
I think what disturbs me about the notion of "white privilege" and "Critical Race Theory" in general is that it appears to be an incredibly superficial theory superimposed on incredibly complex issues. If only it was all so simple.

Could you point to any example already about these books your supposedly humor yourself with?

What occurred to me while making dinner tonight was that the idea is meant to get the "disadvantaged" to rebel against the unjust "white system", to bring it down. This isn't about so-called "social justice" it is about inflaming age old hatreds with a bogus theory and reminded me of how Hitler's Germany portrayed the Jewish people in order to enable their radical solution. Perhaps the proponents of Critical Race Theory are the new Nazi's.

Wow...

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
That isn't how I see it at all. It isn't about bringing anything down, but lifting the disadvantaged up.

A good way to lift the disadvantaged up is to wean them from their dependency on a ******** crutch rather than perpetuate their victimhood mentality and sense of entitlement. Yes, give everyone the same opportunity, but allow them to achieve it by the same means as everyone else.

Meh, feminists hear the same criticisms about how feminist theory is all about destroying men/masculinity, and how we're Hairy-Arm-Pitted-Man-Hating-Ball-Crushing-Horrible-People. It's the same type of criticism that includes The Gay Agenda, where queers are shoving their sexuality down everyone's throat, and that gays just want to normalize homosexuality and turn everyone gay (and, of course, anally rape all the good God-fearing men out there). Suggesting that proponents of Critical Race Theory are the new Nazi's follows the same demonization tactics and is a huge mischaracterization.

Except, again, no one here is doing that, so why bring it up when it bears no relevance to the arguments being made here?
Anyone here who has paid attention knows that I staunchly oppose misogyny, homophobia, racism, etc. I'm also staunchly opposed to hypocrisy.
Group A isn't collectively the villain, Group B isn't collectively the victim.
I realize that people with simple worldviews feel threatened by complexities and shades of grey, but reality is what it is and we need to look at it honestly and objectively.
Also, hearing this will probably make you read in the face, but to achieve true equality, the standards must be consistent across the board, completely blind to color.
I believe that individuals should be judged by their character and conduct, and should neither be discriminated against nor given special privilege based solely on their race, gender, or sexuality, and I'm sorry if that offends you.

Last edited:

Slapstick

See, this is precisely the blatant racism and hypocrisy we're talking about. This is why this sort of garbage can't be taken seriously.
This argument is packed with more baloney and double standards than a 6 foot hoagie and it would laughable, but the sad thing is conceited people actually buy into this malarkey. Its bad enough to see people brainwashed into this line of thinking without being there to help clean their brain cavities from all the corrosive build-up. Conceited people are probably the worst type of person that could possibly exist, besides bigots and hypocrites who do their best at bringing the worst out society to make themselves look good, but fail miserably in the process. This can also be characterized as someone having low self-esteem. Rather sad and pathetic to see the holes they dig themselves into.

Also, funny thing I was thinking about a few weeks ago that isn’t directed at your post, but related to this topic.

Simple thought experiment - Let’s say a group of people wanted to have a white pride parade because someone takes pride in their heritage, being white and all, and are not ashamed of who they are and have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of in regards to past events because they know their history. So those who decide to take part in a white pride parade view the movement as being discriminatory to the rights and freedoms of White people. That would not be allowed, because anything considered as “White Pride” automatically gets slapped with the label as being racist. Yet, a group of people who are of black ethnicity can have black pride rallies, and parades, same with gay pride parades and everything else. This is hypocrisy at its finest.

I would find this topic infuriating, but it&#8217;s too pathetic to even be laughable. I think these people who support this nonsense can&#8217;t confront their own insecurities so they blame everyone else beside themselves for them. In fact, if these people aren&#8217;t comfortable in their own skin then they should go tie a rope around their ankle, with a brick attached, throw it off a bridge and see if they can float. If they can float then they haven&#8217;t taken the bigoted, hypocritical oath. If they sink, then they must be a witch. <-- Somewhat of a Monty Python and a Benjamin Franklin reference.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
A good way to lift the disadvantaged up is to wean them from their dependency on a ******** crutch rather than perpetuate their victimhood mentality and sense of entitlement. Yes, give everyone the same opportunity, but allow them to achieve it by the same means as everyone else.

Start with giving them same opportunity. Equal opportunity is what I stand for.

Except, again, no one here is doing that, so why bring it up when it bears no relevance to the arguments being made here?

I bring it up as a parallel, to point out that the same criticisms put toward critical race theory proponents use the same language as those who oppose feminism and queer rights.

Anyone here who has paid attention knows that I staunchly oppose misogyny, homophobia, racism, etc. I'm also staunchly opposed to hypocrisy.

That's cool.

Group A isn't collectively the villain, Group B isn't collectively the victim.
I realize that people with simple worldviews feel threatened by complexities and shades of grey, but reality is what it is and we need to look at it honestly and objectively.

I agree. People can enjoy certain privilege in society while being disadvantaged in others. I'm getting the notion in this thread that white privilege doesn't exist, and that I disagree with.

Also, hearing this will probably make you read in the face, but to achieve true equality, the standards must be consistent across the board, completely blind to color.

I believe that individuals should be judged by their character and conduct, and should neither be discriminated against nor given special privilege based solely on their race, gender, or sexuality, and I'm sorry if that offends you.

Why would that make me offended or upset? I agree with you in principle. I think where we part ways is the methodology of fixing the problem and the reasoning behind how stratification occurs in the first place, and perhaps the degree of stratification.

Were you secretly hoping to upset me? I could always put on my favorite tutu, grab a spear, and put on my best "grrrr" face for ya, if that helps. :p

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
What do people here think of the term "Check your privilege"? It has been trending around the internet lately. Can it be used in a derogatory (or even racist) sense?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
What do people here think of the term "Check your privilege"? It has been trending around the internet lately. Can it be used in a derogatory (or even racist) sense?

Derogatory perhaps in the same manner as "first world problems."

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Ah, and there it is. That didn't take long. It's pretty obvious that minorities have a disadvantage.
I'd say you're a racist if you don't recognize white privilege in America.

I accept that people can be disadvantaged as a result of the prejudices and oppressive viewpoints of others. But, I reject the notion that white people are racist if they don't accept that minorities are disadvantaged.

I grew up in a diverse city, growing up with kids of various ethnicities and cultural backgrounds. There were white kids who were as disadvantaged as their minority classmates.

Many of the minorities that I went to school with lived in nicer neighborhoods than I did and had wealthier parents.

I've never intentionally acted in a racist manner towards another. But, I've been called a stupid white ***** by many minorities throughout my life for doing absolutely NOTHING wrong.

I have been accused of racist actions by colleagues and clients alike, when doing no more than providing factual information.

If you're going to throw out in blanket label terms that I'm somehow racist for rejecting the notion that minorities in my community are being disadvantaged because of my own skin color - I expect specific examples as to how they are being disadvangated - because I haven't seen it in my own community.

I've seen unfairness towards the poor, towards the elderly and towards the uneducated. These demographics are not exclusive to minorities by any means.

Curious George

Veteran Member
So....anyone?

yes. Socio-economic tops the lists with respect to correlation with "negative" things.

However, this does not mean that poor white people do not have white privilege.

edit* I wrote no, but I meant yes. Guess I should have quoted the actual question. though privilege is impossible to quantify completely, and therefore comparing one privilege to another doesn't quite make sense, from the most objective view, I think a white person of the lowest socio-economic class faces larger disadvantages than a rich person of a minority race.

Last edited: