• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White Privilege Conference

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
So, it's racist to admit that Whites have privileges in American society? Quite an interesting take on "racism".

To be fair, saying that all whites have meaningful privileges that all non-whites do not have is such a broad generalization and oversimplication as to be rather useless. Especially, when you take into account more substantive indicators of privilege, such as socioeconomic status, education level, and personal and professional associations and connections.

Slapstick

No sure if any of you have heard of Progressives Today; However they seem to think that They recently sent undercover reporters to the White Privilege Conference. Now when you think about the real radical left this group could be the poster child. I will include links to part 1 and 2 of their report. For you that consider yourselves liberal-progressives I don't think that most of you are as radical as this group. Discussion?

Part 1 of 4 White Privilege Conference: Racism was invented in the American colonies (EXCLUSIVE VIDEO) | Progressives Today

Part 2 of 4 White Privilege Conference speakers judge by skin color and claim rape is not intrinsically bad (EXCLUSIVE VIDEO) | Progressives Today
I think if you were truly anti-racist or against racism, then you would be against all forms of racism, discrimination and prejudice. This can be said about Male Privilege as well and many other things. Recent events, that have been making headline news on CNN is the Donald Sterling incident. Everyone wants to condemn Sterling, but wants to applaud Stiviano and Snoop Dog. First of all, what is in the video contains mature language so I suggest not watching it if you don’t like potty mouths. Second of all, everything he said was racist, and incorrect. Sterling isn’t a red neck. He is Jewish. I doubt he is inbred either. I do think Snoop Dog sums what he and the majority of black people feel or about whites though. Thank you Snoop.

[youtube]BQlsSk7sCRM[/youtube]

The argument of “White Privilege” reminds me of something I heard in middle school and high school. Which is along the lines of this “So and so is a no good for nothing goody-two-shoe and has everything handed to them in life and doesn’t have to work for it.” This is a form of discrimination, because people usually said things like this when someone’s parents bought them a nice sports car when they turned 16 while others had to continue riding the bus or be caught with their parents taking them to school. While in reality, I don’t think anyone would mind at that age if their parents bought them a nice car. So it isn’t a justifiable means to discriminate against someone. Just a case of people having sour grapes.

dust1n

Zindīq
I don't think it's so much self-loathing, as it is culturally guilted and shamed.

Really? Perhaps a good portion of it. It would be pretty obvious to me at this point that white privilege in America can be empirically verified. I don't feel guilty or shame at all, well at least not regarding this.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
To be fair, saying that all whites have meaningful privileges that all non-whites do not have is such a broad generalization and oversimplication as to be rather useless. Especially, when you take into account more substantive indicators of privilege, such as socioeconomic status, education level, and personal and professional associations and connections.

Excellent points!

dust1n

Zindīq
They may just think their criticisms and hate are justified. This guy seems to think it's an epidemic:

'White Girl Bleed A Lot': The Return of Racial Violence to America and How the Media Ignore It (Autographed) (Paperback)

But not toward minorities but against white people and ignored by a white media. Even if a mob of blacks say they are specifically going out to beat up white people; it's ignored or no one wants to touch it with a ten foot pole. Even worse, some minorities believe those white people deserved it.

Simply nuts...

From the same publisher who brought us such scathing texts of repute by Ann Coulter, Bill O'Reilly, and Micheal Savage.

dust1n

Zindīq
Also found the book page hilarious, considering it has a review by its own publisher on the listing. Lol.

"Colin Flaherty has done more reporting than any other journalist on what appears to be a nationwide trend of skyrocketing black-on-white crime, violence and abuse." – WND.com

"I find quoting one's self to be an accurate means of selling a product's legitimately." - dust1n

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Really? Perhaps a good portion of it. It would be pretty obvious to me at this point that white privilege in America can be empirically verified. I don't feel guilty or shame at all, well at least not regarding this.

I agree.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
So, it's racist to admit that Whites have privileges in American society? Quite an interesting take on "racism".
In line with what Kilgour said, the issue of privileged (which is a horrible term for this btw) is a far more complex and nuanced issue than simply race. So yes, implementing this casual reductionism, that so many proponents are quick to do, is racism.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

These have been pointed out as well. And I give you that as a good point.

Perhaps a distinction between earned and unearned privileges? It's one thing to be a self-made millionaire. It's another to be born into wealth and enjoy the same privileges, having daddy buy one's place in an Ivy League school doesn't hurt either.

Does it come down to a perception on what privilege actually is? Or what it say about a person's character? Is it an assumption that privilege is always earned? And that if one says they are not a part of a privileged class, it's because they are lazy, entitled, and/or playing the victim card?

I'm wondering if that is what the distinction is, and where there might be a communication breakdown in these types of conversations.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Okay I'll bite.

First, I'm a not a fan of getting my source material from World Net Daily, personally.

WND - RationalWiki

Be that as it may, anyone who pays attention to the news (any news) will notice glaring inconsistencies and double standards when comparing how white on black crime is reported to how black on white crime is reported, and how the media/society react. Let's not pretend otherwise.

"Flaherty entirely ignores all other characteristics of the crimes: social class, education, setting; nothing else matters except race to him. Any respectable criminologist would scoff at such a methodology, not because they want to be politically correct, but because it’s a gross reduction of the factors that actually contribute to crime."

Yet interestingly enough these same characteristics aren't taking into account by those who fill the air with howls of "white privilege".

I think I've jumped into a thread filled with Archie Bunkers. :p
So by believing that "race" should be entirely irrelevant, that makes me an Archie Bunker? Wacky.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
What I find interesting is when racism is charged against blacks of other people of color, I've found an instant counter-charge of "playing the race card."
Despite your attempts at mischaracterization, no one here is claiming that racism doesn't exist or isn't a problem. People are merely pointing out the fact that they've been numerable instances where people dragged the issue of race into something where race wasn't even relevant. People have undeniably exploited, manipulated, took advantage of, etc. "the race card".
Ever heard of the fable about the boy who cried wolf?

And then there's links to books about the knockout game and how roving bands of young blacks are going around beating up white folks and how that's the real racism while minorities are just lazy and playing the victim.
There have been trends where people who were targeted because they were white. It just goes to show that racism can and does go both ways, so why so quick to dismiss and downplay these occurrences?

I've heard some interesting things, but probably what is most interesting is that there's no such thing as racial inequality anymore, no sexism, and pretty soon, I'm sure people will suggest that there's no such thing as hetero-sexism either. Because Obama, or something. And that what's really going on is the war against Christians, the war against men, and the war against whites.
Clearly no one here is making these claims, so take these ridiculous straw men elsewhere.

Slapstick

These have been pointed out as well. And I give you that as a good point.

Perhaps a distinction between earned and unearned privileges? It's one thing to be a self-made millionaire. It's another to be born into wealth and enjoy the same privileges, having daddy buy one's place in an Ivy League school doesn't hurt either.

Does it come down to a perception on what privilege actually is? Or what it say about a person's character? Is it an assumption that privilege is always earned? And that if one says they are not a part of a privileged class, it's because they are lazy, entitled, and/or playing the victim card?

I'm wondering if that is what the distinction is, and where there might be a communication breakdown in these types of conversations.
I think we are at the point in society now, where classifying an entire group of people as “privilege” or “underprivileged” based on their race is factually incorrect. Not only is it factually incorrect, it is also politically incorrect. While these people who considered themselves “privilege” exists, it exist regardless of race or income, it also exist when people have acquired a certain status, such as fame or are in a position of power. I personally don’t think we should condemn people or throw an entire ethnicity under the bus because someone who is of that ethnicity happens to successful in life. You do not condemn an entire group of people for it. An example would be with the girl scouts. You don’t condemn or accuse the girl scouts as being a group of Fem-Nazis because they promote equal rights for LGBT and allow lesbians to be leaders within their organization.

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I think what disturbs me about the notion of "white privilege" and "Critical Race Theory" in general is that it appears to be an incredibly superficial theory superimposed on incredibly complex issues. If only it was all so simple.

What occurred to me while making dinner tonight was that the idea is meant to get the "disadvantaged" to rebel against the unjust "white system", to bring it down. This isn't about so-called "social justice" it is about inflaming age old hatreds with a bogus theory and reminded me of how Hitler's Germany portrayed the Jewish people in order to enable their radical solution. Perhaps the proponents of Critical Race Theory are the new Nazi's.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I think what disturbs me about the notion of "white privilege" and "Critical Race Theory" in general is that it appears to be an incredibly superficial theory superimposed on incredibly complex issues. If only it was all so simple.

What occurred to me while making dinner tonight was that the idea is meant to get the "disadvantaged" to rebel against the unjust "white system", to bring it down. This isn't about so-called "social justice" it is about inflaming age old hatreds with a bogus theory and reminded me of how Hitler's Germany portrayed the Jewish people in order to enable their radical solution. Perhaps the proponents of Critical Race Theory are the new Nazi's.

That isn't how I see it at all. It isn't about bringing anything down, but lifting the disadvantaged up.

Meh, feminists hear the same criticisms about how feminist theory is all about destroying men/masculinity, and how we're Hairy-Arm-Pitted-Man-Hating-Ball-Crushing-Horrible-People. It's the same type of criticism that includes The Gay Agenda, where queers are shoving their sexuality down everyone's throat, and that gays just want to normalize homosexuality and turn everyone gay (and, of course, anally rape all the good God-fearing men out there). Suggesting that proponents of Critical Race Theory are the new Nazi's follows the same demonization tactics and is a huge mischaracterization.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

If it were solely about "privilege" then it wouldn't need the adjective "white".
"Privilege", if it really is a problem, has more facets than the old stereotype that
white folks gots it so unfairly good, eg, privileges granted to woman, privileges
grant to Amerindians, etc, etc. Some "privilege" will be greater than other
"privilege" in different circumstances, but there are nonetheless many flavors.
So the cry of "white privilege" strikes me as narrow thinking, with a pinch of
racial blaming, & a dash of limited redress of real societal problems.

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
That isn't how I see it at all. It isn't about bringing anything down, but lifting the disadvantaged up.

Meh, feminists hear the same criticisms about how feminist theory is all about destroying men/masculinity, and how we're Hairy-Arm-Pitted-Man-Hating-Ball-Crushing-Horrible-People. It's the same type of criticism that includes The Gay Agenda, where queers are shoving their sexuality down everyone's throat, and that gays just want to normalize homosexuality and turn everyone gay (and, of course, anally rape all the good God-fearing men out there). Suggesting that proponents of Critical Race Theory are the new Nazi's follows the same demonization tactics and is a huge mischaracterization.
But Heather, neither one of those groups targeted based on skin colour. Also, I am bothered about the psychological implications of telling disadvantage blacks that the system is designed to discriminate against them. To my thinking, that would foster hostility and a sense of grave injustice. I don't see how that would "lift the disadvantaged group up" but I can certainly see how it would make them bitter and deeply resentful.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Seems a white attendee was removed from the conference according to progressives today. I haven't looked further into this, I'll report back with my factual findings on this report.

WPC14 UNDERCOVER VIDEO
White Student Booted From White Privilege Session-His Race Was Too Offensive - Fox Nation

UPDATE: Doesn't appear to be a student, but a RW reporter for PT was not allowed into an event reserved for certain races. Still looking into it. This doesn't sit well with the above sources and their misleading nature.

Last edited: