• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White Privilege Conference

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
I am saying most white people will likely not be able to answer such questions as "who came up with the idea of the flying machine and where did he live?" Where did our modern concepts of the University and Hospital come from? Who was the first to discover and drink coffee? Although white people tend to think we came up with all that, we didn't.
White people tend to think we came up with all that? Really?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
White people tend to think we came up with all that? Really?
Sure do. Of course not all white people, but I've met enough of them to find it very disheartening that we are so bad about ignoring the contributions of other non-white cultures. How many white people do you suppose even realize we use Arabic numerals, or that much of the foundations of mathematics, such as algebra and the concept of zero, are Arabic?

Curious George

Veteran Member
I am saying most white people will likely not be able to answer such questions as "who came up with the idea of the flying machine and where did he live?" Where did our modern concepts of the University and Hospital come from? Who was the first to discover and drink coffee? Although white people tend to think we came up with all that, we didn't.

Most U.S. citizens couldn't tell you what the capital of missouri is either. I think there is a tendency to associate general ignorance with something more. I am not suggesting that cultural bias is not apparent but the ability to answer trivia doesn't necessarily mean anything. If the majority of people could answer correctly trivia regarding famous white people but not famous black people, then we could say there is a racial correlation. I agree that there is cultural bias. I just do not think this trivia is the best indicator.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Sure do. Of course not all white people, but I've met enough of them to find it very disheartening that we are so bad about ignoring the contributions of other non-white cultures. How many white people do you suppose even realize we use Arabic numerals, or that much of the foundations of mathematics, such as algebra and the concept of zero, are Arabic?

Arabic numerals, yes. The concept of zero, was also used by another culture as well.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
I think you are unnecessarily entangling race and ignorance.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
How many white people do you suppose even realize we use Arabic numerals, or that much of the foundations of mathematics, such as algebra and the concept of zero, are Arabic?

Correction:

Indic. They are Indic in origin.
Initially Sumerian, but refined
and "algebrized" in India ...​

They are known as "Arabic numerals" because after the
Indians were conquered after the Islamic Conquest(s) of the
Subcontinent, various Sanskrit texts were translated and then
brought to the Near East. And from there they were shared
w/ the Italians. Thus, "Arabic numerals". I can site countless
academic journals, if you would like.​

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think you are unnecessarily entangling race and ignorance.
It's along the lines that we are a culture that does not recognize the contributions of other cultures. Ignorance is one thing, but schools teaching Di Vinci was the first to think of a flying machine or that Gutenberg had the first printing press is something entirely different.
Correction:

Indic. They are Indic in origin.
Initially Sumerian, but refined
and "algebrized" in India ...​
They are known as "Arabic numerals" because after the
Indians were conquered after the Islamic Conquest(s) of the
Subcontinent, various Sanskrit texts were translated and then
brought to the Near East. And from there they were shared
w/ the Italians. Thus, "Arabic numerals". I can site countless
academic journals, if you would like.​
None needed: I had forgotten about the Indian origins and then adaption to Arabic.

Alceste

Vagabond
It isn't so much stealing the music itself as it is stealing the credit. And many artists, regardless of genre, are guilty of it (sampling without giving proper credit seems to be the biggest problem today). But very typically white people get more credit for making music that was made by and originated from a culture of a different ethnicity.
But I can assure you music is hardly the only thing that white people do not invent but eventually somehow end up with the credit anyways.

I don't think that's intentional on the part of the artists, usually. It's the combo of white producers, white radio hosts, and white fans all getting excited together about a sound that to them is "new". The artist usually knows there is nothing new under the sun when it comes to music, and the pros are usually keenly aware of and happy to acknowledge their influences. It's just that people rarely ask. They just assume.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't think that's intentional on the part of the artists, usually. It's the combo of white producers, white radio hosts, and white fans all getting excited together about a sound that to them is "new". The artist usually knows there is nothing new under the sun when it comes to music, and the pros are usually keenly aware of and happy to acknowledge their influences. It's just that people rarely ask. They just assume.
I think I am just failing miserably at getting the point across that white people aren't really ahead of everyone else, and we get far more credit than we deserve. The Chinese were way ahead of the Europeans in sea travel, but sea travel is more typically associated (especially in our history books) with the Europeans who were far behind the Chinese.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I think I am just failing miserably at getting the point across that white people aren't really ahead of everyone else, and we get far more credit than we deserve. The Chinese were way ahead of the Europeans in sea travel, but sea travel is more typically associated (especially in our history books) with the Europeans who were far behind the Chinese.

We also have a more linear than cyclical worldview in the west. Cultural bias is not necessarily giving credit where it is not due. What you are speaking about is cultural bias. I would say that the privilege of being part of a majority when cultural bias is present, is that the culture of the environment likely meshes with your own. And there is a stronger focus on people who look similar to you, whether that similarity is the color of skin or something else.

Alceste

Vagabond

Actually, I do understand what you mean and I generally agree, I just have a soft spot for musicians, being a musician myself. :D

Also, I think credit is less often "stolen" than it is misattributed by the ignorant masses to a source they identify with. I think in China and the Arab world, the ignorant masses probably also misattribute credit for various human accomplishments to their own culture. IMO, inspiration itself is colour blind.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Actually, I do understand what you mean and I generally agree, I just have a soft spot for musicians, being a musician myself. :D

Also, I think credit is less often "stolen" than it is misattributed by the ignorant masses to a source they identify with. I think in China and the Arab world, the ignorant masses probably also misattribute credit for various human accomplishments to their own culture. IMO, inspiration itself is colour blind.
Perhaps misattribute would be the better word I'm looking for.

factseeker88

factseeker88
No sure if any of you have heard of Progressives Today; However they seem to think that They recently sent undercover reporters to the White Privilege Conference. Now when you think about the real radical left this group could be the poster child. I will include links to part 1 and 2 of their report. For you that consider yourselves liberal-progressives I don't think that most of you are as radical as this group. Discussion?

This is obviously another plot to turn minorities against Obama. Problem is, nobody outside DC cares, too busy making a living to keep up with politics, and what free time they have they watch sports or movies on TV.

Not only that, Democrats don't believe the trumped up scandals. 902 Democrat polls still rate Obama's job approval at 77.6 percent and his disapproval rating at 17 percent.

Obama Job Approval - Democrats - Polls - HuffPost Pollster

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO.” John Ruskin (1819 - 1900) [/FONT]