• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where's the wrong in cross-dressing?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I know, another 'clothing-related' thread on my part! But clothing norms do seem to play a large part in cultures and societies around the world, and that interests me.

I'm defining 'cross-dressing' here the same way that Wikipedia does in its opening sentence on the topic, to wit: 'Cross-dressing is the act of wearing items of clothing and other accoutrements commonly associated with the opposite sex within a particular society.'

If you feel there's wrong in it, why is that?

I don't see it wrong. I am very interested as well of those who disagree with it tend to do so (from observation) because of their religious morals. I'm not sure how the two go together-clothing and religion-but I am also interested in the answer. Mainly from people who view cross-dressing is wrong in light and identity of the person who does it.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I brushed the edge of it when I bought and wore some purple t-shirts and had a "you're wearing purple???" (as in women wear purple but not men).
as a nonbinary person a friend pointed out my umbrella was purple therefore not something I should have as it's feminine. I did not crawl out of one box to be put into another. Purple looks good on everyone

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I know some professional drag queens myself. They look far more fabulous than I could hope to be.
Technically I cross dress from a certain perspective. Preferring shorts/pants and a t shirt to dresses and. skirts. Even buy most of my geek wear from the male section. Though I suppose even in shops that have those sections, they are known to be more loose than clear cut.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I wish! seriously tho I have to shop in the boys for male shoes...I wasn't kidding about size four men's shoes. I wear a 6 in women's.
I'll keep your secret.
Besides, we all have small feet compared to @Wu Wei's real life gunboats.
I've heard that when he goes skiing, he doesn't use skis.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I'll keep your secret.
Besides, we all have small feet compared to @Wu Wei's real life gunboats.
I've heard that when he goes skiing, he doesn't use skis.
try shopping for shirts and pants in the men's when assigned female...my shoulders are too small and chest too large for most shirts I like and my hips too wide for most pants I like. Not to mention if I want to go all out with a guy look I use masculine contouring which takes a while to master. Then I sometimes apply a beard but it is a pain to get off so that's rare.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
try shopping for shirts and pants in the men's when assigned female...my shoulders are too small and chest too large for most shirts I like and my hips too wide for most pants I like. Not to mention if I want to go all out with a guy look I use masculine contouring which takes a while to master. Then I sometimes apply a beard but it is a pain to get off so that's rare.
I can only imagine the difficulties.
My solution....
Baggy Hawaiian shirts & loose cargo shorts/pants.
Good for all occasions.
Well....not always so good if one wants a happy wife....especially if she knows kung fu.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
When I was growing up, it was considered absolutely wrong to wear blue and green together -- until that nerd Yves St. Laurent did it.

Lone before that, it was sinful to wear clothes made with two different fibres (Боже мой !!).

Eh, who cares. I'm way too old, but I still wear mostly bluejeans, and never pants tied 18 inches above my waist with a silly belt.

Wear what you feel good in. Anybody who doesn't like it can ignore it, or force themselves to suffer by giving it more attention than it deserves. That's on them, not you.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I can only imagine the difficulties.
My solution....
Baggy Hawaiian shirts & loose cargo shorts/pants.
Good for all occasions.
Well....not always so good if one wants a happy wife....especially if she knows kung fu.

This is starting to get a little weird. Up until last year my summer garb was cargo shorts and a polo type pull over. Last summer I tried on my first Hawaiian shirt and I am hooked. Just today I wore said new summer outfit for the first time this year. Wanna buy some cool pull overs?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This is starting to get a little weird. Up until last year my summer garb was cargo shorts and a polo type pull over. Last summer I tried on my first Hawaiian shirt and I am hooked. Just today I wore said new summer outfit for the first time this year. Wanna buy some cool pull overs?
We've both entered the Hawaiian shirt zone.
There's no going back to bland.

PureX

Veteran Member
And yet look where we are now. It's generally widely accepted. Sometimes social conventions just need challenging a bit and they'll change and the world generally will be the better for it (in terms of people having more freedom).
I agree, ... sometimes. But not every challenge of social convention is for the good. And freedom is not selfishness. It comes with a responsibility to mind the well-being of our fellow humans, even when we don't want to, or don't agree with them. And humans need structure, and regularity, and predictability, and to be able to project and to read those subtle social cues that social conventions and clothing styles provide.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
First rule of Hawaiian shirtness..
matthew-diffee-sounds-good-we-ll-just-have-to-run-it-by-the-hawaiian-shirts-new-yorker-cartoon.jpg