• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's It To You?

How Do You Feel About The Origins Of Life?

• I believe divinity had a hand in it, and I think everyone else should, too.

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • I believe divinity had a hand in it, but am indifferent to what others believe.

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • I believe only in origins that science supports, and think everyone else should, too.

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • I believe only in origins that science supports, but am indifferent to what others believe.

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • I don't know, and don't care one way or the other.

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • God and science do not have to work apart from each other, so I am okay with either way of thinking.

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

Audie

Veteran Member
Best to be an engineering student, as I was, to own one. Many of my friends at college seemed to have reasonably reliable ones, but not that old - Sunbeam Alpine, Lotus 7, and an Austin-Healey 3000. Me, I had an old Morris Minor van, but it took me and two friends down through France and across Spain - and much modified by myself I might add. :oops:

She was getting her PhD in English lit. 1970s

Audie

Veteran Member
Well she should have been able to read a workshop manual. :D

I don't know how she decided to get such an
impracticsl car. To get the full British experience i guess.

She was btw horrified that any place could have such insanely awful weather.

Estella Atrum

Friendly Authoritarian Leftist Witch
Reading a lot of threads over the last few days, I find people on both sides of the religious/scientific fences get awfully excited about who we(living beings) are, and how we got here.

So I thought I'd create a poll to see just how many people it matters to, and how much. Where do you stand?

(Please note this is in discussion, not debate.)

I have selected none of the above, since I take the position of not knowing, yet being curious. I also do not support teaching creationism in school, just as I do not support religion mixed into political affairs. What I do support is teaching, based on the available evidence.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I don't know how she decided to get such an
impracticsl car. To get the full British experience i guess.

She was btw horrified that any place could have such insanely awful weather.
Well at least we don't get complacent about the weather, and thus we value every little bit of the good stuff. :oops:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I voted "I don't know, and don't care one way or the other" because it came closest to expressing my sentiments about the general question.

The path I follow focuses on the here and now. Because of that, I don't concern myself with cosmological questions as a matter of religion. There are stories that I tell about it, sure. Multiple stories, actually. But the importance of those stories is not the story itself, but the lessons they convey (as is usually the case with mythologies). For example, the lessons that arise from the mythology of scientific accounts is one of interrelatedness, which reinforces teachings to treat all as sacred and worthy of worship. Other tales tell about the role of the Sacred Four, to emphasize their central importance in my tradition and their role in all things.

But as far as the day-to-day goes? It's just not relevant. And it isn't for other humans either, when we get right down to it. On a day-to-day basis, our answer to the question like "do you respect non-human life" has more relevance than "how do you think that got started."

Rye_P

Deo Juvante
Depends on the god. That yahweh guy seems like grouchy and self righteous.

Don't blame Him completely, His autobiography are written by others that never meet him Him. I even doubt that the writers understood Him at one point or another.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I believe the entire multi-plane (meaning more than the physical plane) universe is a thought form (or play/drama) of the One Consciousness/Brahman/God.
I'm going to step slightly out of line and call this a "deepity." And one that avoids the essence of the question it presumes to respond to -- which is how is it that are to suppose that there is something as obviously complex as "the One Consciousness/Brahman/God" that can defy the dictum we invented it to solve -- that "nothing comes from nothing?"

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
'Why' Consciousness exists is the mystery.
that can defy the dictum we invented it to solve -- that "nothing comes from nothing?"
It wasn't invented to solve that mystery. It is the experience of those Brahman-Realized masters that have stilled the normally noisy consciousness.

Consciousness/Brahman seems to be outside 'time'. The concept of 'time' is perhaps best understood as a concept of limited consciousness experiencing change. It may be an eternal 'Now' from the ultimate unlimited Consciousness/Brahman perspective.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
None of the above

Abiogenesis as yet has not been tested but is the most feasible hypothesis of how life began on earth given current knowledge.

I believe only in origins that science supports...

That's what I answered, which is largely why 'I don't know' is the simplest summary of my current position.