• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's It To You?

How Do You Feel About The Origins Of Life?

• I believe divinity had a hand in it, and I think everyone else should, too.

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • I believe divinity had a hand in it, but am indifferent to what others believe.

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • I believe only in origins that science supports, and think everyone else should, too.

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • I believe only in origins that science supports, but am indifferent to what others believe.

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • I don't know, and don't care one way or the other.

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • God and science do not have to work apart from each other, so I am okay with either way of thinking.

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
After some reflection and from reading comments, I have added another option to the poll.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
In my case the 'why' for thinking that comes from those sages/mystics that I believe have plumbed deepest into the nature of reality. It is not provable at the physical only level.
This is an interesting thought, that I would like to start a new thread on (comparing "plumbing deeply into the nature of reality" using either mysticism/philosophical inquiry -- or scientific inquiry). The idea being to try to compare the approaches.

Do I have your permission to use your above quote to begin that discussion?

rational experiences

Veteran Member
I learnt by experience that spirit being creation a reality.

Had an eternal being communicate to me as a recording when they lost self into the holy Ghost records.

Why you could quote microbes form a bodily ghost spirit image.

Spirit kept losing its whole form which a human eventually held as their loss.

So it was proven in memory recorded history.

Eternal. Description. Always existed.

Both space and mass change their bodies by increase or decreasing conditions.

Eternal. Androgynous.

Meaning all bio life owned originally the same spirit body.

Only sound held by the origin spirit altered it's converted manifested form.

Proof a human life devolved looked like a healthy ape today.

Ape form today healthy.
Human form today healthy.

Ape in past would have been mutated.
Human in past mutated.

Mutated human in past does not equal healthy ape today.

Words can be coercive in use.

To look like a beast is a proof that we pre owned the same spirit form.

Never was that eternal form in creation.

An eternal being our conscious memory entered creation in its highest evolved cooled form.

Correct word usage why coercive language to describe became deceptive.

Created creation is burnt destroyed converted eternal origin. Eternal not in creation.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Reading a lot of threads over the last few days, I find people on both sides of the religious/scientific fences get awfully excited about who we(living beings) are, and how we got here.

So I thought I'd create a poll to see just how many people it matters to, and how much. Where do you stand?

(Please note this is in discussion, not debate.)
Not read all the thread but I think my view might accord with some, and which is not a poll option - I tend to believe what science shows us, but as yet we haven't a conclusive answer as to how life developed, hence some doubts, and I am not indifferent to what others believe since what they believe does seem to have large impacts on others as much as it has on themselves all too often. And believing untruths might not necessarily be the best way for a species to survive - given all such beliefs cannot be true.

Rye_P

Deo Juvante
God work thru science, and when the time comes, we will got an enlightenment on how it happens.

Don't put this kind of God with one you might find in common religions / beliefs tho, because there will be too much contradiction.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Where do you stand?
The theory of evolution is based on evidence, with the spaces between the evidence filled by reasoned hypotheses that can be affirmed or displaced by evidence.

Evolution, says the theory, is divergent. So if we work backwards, we converge on a single kind of protolife, the first self-replicating cell. We have good grounds to think it came to exist more than 3.5 bn years ago. The job now is to work out how.

There are three main possibilities: first, that it came into existence by the coincidence of suitable physical circumstances (we think the hydrothermal vent or 'black smoker' hypothesis is promising).

Second, that it was a lifeform that came to exist somewhere else in the solar system (or galaxy, or universe) and traveled / was conveyed to earth; in that case the question of how it came to exist doesn't go away, it just goes offshore.

Third, that it came into existence independently of the rules of nature, which is to say, by magic.

My own view, or feeling, or guess, is that the first is very probable.

And that the second is highly improbable but not impossible.

And that we can rule the third one out as incoherent, that is, not capable of being an accurate statement about reality.

Audie

Veteran Member
God work thru science, and when the time comes, we will got an enlightenment on how it happens.

Don't put this kind of God with one you might find in common religions / beliefs tho, because there will be too much contradiction.

So you figure this God was not up to making a
Universe with matter energy and operating principles that can run itself without constant meddling and tinkrting, like it was an old British sports car?

Or what?

Audie

Veteran Member
Not read all the thread but I think my view might accord with some, and which is not a poll option - I tend to believe what science shows us, but as yet we haven't a conclusive answer as to how life developed, hence some doubts, and I am not indifferent to what others believe since what they believe does seem to have large impacts on others as much as it has on themselves all too often. And believing untruths might not necessarily be the best way for a species to survive - given all such beliefs cannot be true.

The radical middle way?

Rye_P

Deo Juvante
So you figure this God was not up to making a
Universe with matter energy and operating principles that can run itself without constant meddling and tinkrting, like it was an old British sports car?

Or what?

Old British sport car, an interesting one. Never have one tho, so cannot say for sure.

And since I never meet Him in person, I can't be sure whether he's busy meddling or just sit and watch how it flows.

Audie

Veteran Member
Old British sport car, an interesting one. Never have one tho, so cannot say for sure.

And since I never meet Him in person, I can't be sure whether he's busy meddling or just sit and watch how it flows.

My Mom had a MG as a grad student in Edinburgh. She said it was always in the shop.

You may want to avoid god, lest it tinker you.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So I thought I'd create a poll to see just how many people it matters to, and how much. Where do you stand?
Nobody believes in just one bad idea.

Believing that a god magically created the universe probably isn't that harmful in and of itself, but:

- it's indicative of a failure of critical thinking that may express itself in other harmful ways that involve scientific illiteracy: the anti-vax movement, climate change denial, etc.

- the main way that people end up believing that a god magically created the universe is through childhood indoctrination in a religion. This indoctrination can often be associated with all sorts of harm.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
And what did the plumbers find in them depths?
That it is all One Consciousness and the Universe is a play/drama of that One Consciousness that separates Itself from Itself in Act I and returns Itself to Itself in Act II.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
My Mom had a MG as a grad student in Edinburgh. She said it was always in the shop.

You may want to avoid god, lest it tinker you.
Best to be an engineering student, as I was, to own one. Many of my friends at college seemed to have reasonably reliable ones, but not that old - Sunbeam Alpine, Lotus 7, and an Austin-Healey 3000. Me, I had an old Morris Minor van, but it took me and two friends down through France and across Spain - and much modified by myself I might add. :oops: