• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's It To You?

How Do You Feel About The Origins Of Life?

• I believe divinity had a hand in it, and I think everyone else should, too.

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • I believe divinity had a hand in it, but am indifferent to what others believe.

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • I believe only in origins that science supports, and think everyone else should, too.

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • I believe only in origins that science supports, but am indifferent to what others believe.

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • I don't know, and don't care one way or the other.

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • God and science do not have to work apart from each other, so I am okay with either way of thinking.

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
All science is is looking at things and trying to figure out how it works. Putting in the effort seems to reap results. Until something better comes along, it suffices for me. :)

As for what others believe, I find it fascinating. I often find it insightful, as well. Ultimately, though, Their beliefs are theirs, my beliefs are mine.

Reading a lot of threads over the last few days, I find people on both sides of the religious/scientific fences get awfully excited about who we(living beings) are, and how we got here.

So I thought I'd create a poll to see just how many people it matters to, and how much. Where do you stand?

(Please note this is in discussion, not debate.)

I changed my vote from I don't care to "I want everyone else to believe" because my original vote was not feisty enough.

Haha, and the mixed feelings are true, like on the one hand I really don't care and don't really believe any of it, I'm here, that is what counts, and I perceive that my being here is God thinking me being here, and that the rest of the story is just made up always, like a dream. Yet, I do care what other people think, because I have to deal with people, and I want people to think at least somewhat closer to me, if not identically, so that I can get along with them better, so that I can "speak the same language" so to speak. There was this this one girl who had very specific ideas about Shiva which were not compatible with my ideas which use the names like Shiva and Krishna and Vishnu all to refer to the One Universal God and Power, and it just made it really uncomfortable because we were speaking two different languages basically, the ideas were like totally different and we couldn't relate because of it, also she was not going to be able to handle my freely using words like Allah or whatever as Shiva also. That is just an example, but the point is, I want to know people who speak my language, even if it takes "making" people who speak my language, by converting them to the ideas, or some semblance of them.

That is what I think it is all really about, we all want people we can relate to, so we can talk to them, get along with them, so that when we say "and then a miracle happened! There was one last coupon sitting there right in front of me and I picked it up, and I thanked God" to hear "pfft! There is no God, that was not a miracle" like, its just annoying, it makes it hard to be friends or friendly or express oneself the way one wants to if people are differing, see things differently, don't believe you, its annoying as heck. Who really wants to be friends with someone that doesn't really think the way you do? I don't know, it annoys me, it makes me not want to say things, it makes me feel like I can't share.

Remember how good it felt to hear from someone who at least sounded like they have beliefs you can agree with or which sound ok to you? It is a good feeling, it feels so nice, that someone else is like "wow" and doesn't say something annoying or basically put you down or whatever for what happened or deny the beautiful things you think are beautiful and true and right.

So yeah. I wouldn't be able to get along with some person I consider a loon for not believing in science, medicine, or biology, my whole family and relatives are in the sciences and are all really educated people. They are also religious people, and I would not be able to get along with people who at the very least don't believe in magical and miraculous things at least somewhat, and God basically, since that is what God is to me, the magical, the miraculous, the controller of life, the writer of the story every day.

Most people don't believe in my God at all, even if they say they believe in God, their God is nothing like my God, nothing really like my God at all, yet, still, I might feel a little better that they believe somewhat in God or some power and influence, even if their idea is off, and how vastly it is off puts them further away of course and makes me feel less and less comfortable discussing anything with them really.

No one, practically no one at all these days, believes their every experience is generated in every single detail by an intelligent power that they do not control, that everything that appears before them is actually authored by and created by or "made up by" God as if we are in a waking dream completely under the control of God who is even controlling our statements, thoughts, deliberation on matters, and decisions on matters, and every action and every consequence and result, all of it. Practically no one believes that, and that is basically the whole of my belief or the basic bottom line, and this difference separates and makes me feel separate from most everyone, so I have to just settle for whatever is at least a bit closer, even if not ideal, and for the sake of being social, getting help, getting support, having conversations, which is supposed to be good for a person and their mind, maybe even necessary for optimum health.

I like normal people who aren't pushy too much, people who are worldly in many ways, but not too worldly, spiritual somewhat, but not too spiritual, people who live their lives, but also say their prayers, people who believe in science and medicine, and believe in God, and better, believe Science is God's Work and God's Gift and God's Creation and in God's control (but that is unlikely to be expected, few people could ever know God as "The Science" and God as the whole creator and maker-upper of science and human actions and discoveries that are scientific, because they don't acknowledge God as the maker-upper of all reality, everything we are told now is true, that God is just making that up right now, can make anything else up effortlessly, in an instant, can make it like some sickness is there or a limb is gone, then suddenly the limb is back, like a dream) there are people who think such things would never be possible, and those people don't know the Master, and who doesn't know the Master, can't really know me!

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I guess the problem for me is that when belief contradicts what is real, can that lead to danger or harm? I mean, let's say that you don't believe in gravity, will it be okay for you to fling your child off the top of your house in full confidence that it will fly, or simply hover there safely?

What if you don't believe in the science of blood typing, will it be okay for you as a doctor to simply pump any old blood into somebody's veins?

Evolution drives a lot of science. Should all that science be dumped into the toilet because a lot of people can't bear to believe that their childhood creation myths aren't the real deal?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe life arose through unplanned organic chemistry. But I don't care what other people believe so long as their belief doesn't interfere with my life and studies.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Reading a lot of threads over the last few days, I find people on both sides of the religious/scientific fences get awfully excited about who we(living beings) are, and how we got here.

So I thought I'd create a poll to see just how many people it matters to, and how much. Where do you stand?

The thing of it is, the Koran says They created the earth and its creatures quickly, but they made it look like it was very old. So it was really young although science will make it seem old which was intentional of Them.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I voted 'I believe divinity had a hand in it, and I think everyone else should, too.'

That was the closest fit to of the choices to my feelings. I believe life was created and is fostered by a myriad of super-physical beings doing their roles. For me this is not faith but the most reasonable position I have found with all things considered. I would hope others would agree after they consider all things but I can not say I am overly concerned if others disagree either.

I guess the problem for me is that when belief contradicts what is real, can that lead to danger or harm? I mean, let's say that you don't believe in gravity, will it be okay for you to fling your child off the top of your house in full confidence that it will fly, or simply hover there safely?

What if you don't believe in the science of blood typing, will it be okay for you as a doctor to simply pump any old blood into somebody's veins?

Evolution drives a lot of science. Should all that science be dumped into the toilet because a lot of people can't bear to believe that their childhood creation myths aren't the real deal?

Yeah, so it clearly does matter, it is very important, and anyone who is basically going to cause real harm to themselves or others are a serious problem.

Sorry bro; I can't find the quote online and I'm just borrowing my neighbor's; I can't mark it.

Can you tell me the verse numbers if you find it in your neighbor's copy? For example like if its chapter two, it should have a number, so the chapter and number of the verse would be written like 2:134 then I can find it easily, and quote it here, for example that one I just made up the numbers for says:

"Now those people have passed away; unto them shall be accounted what they have earned, and unto you, what you have earned; and you will not be, judged on the strength of what they did"

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Yeah, so it clearly does matter, it is very important, and anyone who is basically going to cause real harm to themselves or others are a serious problem.
That is certainly my feeling, yes.

I would go further, at this point, and mention that the up-and-coming COVID vaccines are turning out to be much more effective than anyone actually hoped for, and that this is amazingly good news in terms of any nation's ability to bring this beast under control. However, if an unreasoned belief against vaccination prevents half of a society from getting a shot -- then that is going to prolong the misery and increase the death count far beyond what it could be.

Is that harmful enough for anybody?

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Can you tell me the verse numbers if you find it in your neighbor's copy? For example like if its chapter two, it should have a number, so the chapter and number of the verse would be written like 2:134 then I can find it easily, and quote it here, for example that one I just made up the numbers for says:

"Now those people have passed away; unto them shall be accounted what they have earned, and unto you, what you have earned; and you will not be, judged on the strength of what they did"
That's what I'm telling you; I can't find that.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I voted 'I believe divinity had a hand in it, and I think everyone else should, too.'

That was the closest fit to of the choices to my feelings. I believe life was created and is fostered by a myriad of super-physical beings doing their roles. For me this is not faith but the most reasonable position I have found with all things considered. I would hope others would agree after they consider all things but I can not say I am overly concerned if others disagree either.
Do you have any feelings about how this "myriad of super-physical beings" came to be? Is there, do you think, a myriad of meta-super-physical beings?

exchemist

Veteran Member

I can't vote in the poll because it does not contain the option that life originated in ways that science supports but that was also part of a divine creation.

This is mainstream Christian belief and seems not to be represented.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Do you have any feelings about how this "myriad of super-physical beings" came to be? Is there, do you think, a myriad of meta-super-physical beings?
I believe the entire multi-plane (meaning more than the physical plane) universe is a thought form (or play/drama) of the One Consciousness/Brahman/God.