• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What made the Israelites so special as a people...?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Oh, I did Not realize that other nations were under the Constitution of the Mosaic Law.
I am wondering which nations.
Where on earth did I suggest such a thing?

I was referring to all those things in your post that state that "God promises" anything at all, including who will be blessed and who won't. Since I can guarantee you we can't call God to the witness stand to affirm or deny those promises, that they are religious belief, and not history.

Unless, of course, you can get God to come testify...

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I did Not know Catholics don't get into the 'chosen' thingy. By chosen I think that means Jesus chosen as Messiah.
Officially, the Church does, but I'm skeptical of such things, which is not to say that it's wrong.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Where on earth did I suggest such a thing?
I was referring to all those things in your post that state that "God promises" anything at all, including who will be blessed and who won't. Since I can guarantee you we can't call God to the witness stand to affirm or deny those promises, that they are religious belief, and not history.

I think Jesus already did get his God to testify. Three times God spoke from Heaven approving his Son for us.
What Jesus' 'religious belief' taught will prove to be history.
We are nearing the ' final phase ' of Matthew 25:14; Acts 1:8 because the good news of Daniel 2:44 is now proclaimed world wide even in earth's remote areas, so that means we are nearing the ' final signal ', so to speak when the 'powers that be' will be saying, "Peace and Security..." as the precursor to the coming great tribulation before Jesus, as Prince of Peace, ushers in global Peace on Earth among persons of goodwill.
Since Psalms 92:7 says the wicked will be 'destroyed forever' then it is obvious the wicked will Not be blessed.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I think Jesus already did get his God to testify. Three times God spoke from Heaven approving his Son for us.
What Jesus' 'religious belief' taught will prove to be history.
We are nearing the ' final phase ' of Matthew 25:14; Acts 1:8 because the good news of Daniel 2:44 is now proclaimed world wide even in earth's remote areas, so that means we are nearing the ' final signal ', so to speak when the 'powers that be' will be saying, "Peace and Security..." as the precursor to the coming great tribulation before Jesus, as Prince of Peace, ushers in global Peace on Earth among persons of goodwill.
Since Psalms 92:7 says the wicked will be 'destroyed forever' then it is obvious the wicked will Not be blessed.
Sorry, but you won't get anywhere close to interesting me by referring to things said in the Bible, since it is as clear as can be to me that the Bible was, like all such texts, written by human beings -- people with no more knowledge of anything than was available at the time they lived. And actually, usually, quite a bit less, since they were not the sort of people at all interested in even the limited science available to them, since that doesn't pretend to come from God.

I can't help but point out to you that your comment about "nearing the 'final phase'" is particularly funny to me, since even the Gospels said that time was imminent (even some that were living at the time would experience it) and it has been proclaimed as imminent in every century since -- and of course nothing ever happens. And your arguments are of no more interest or worth than the arguments of the many prophets of doom who preceded you, and whose prophecies also failed.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I can't help but point out to you that your comment about "nearing the 'final phase'" is particularly funny to me, since even the Gospels said that time was imminent (even some that were living at the time would experience it) and it has been proclaimed as imminent in every century since -- and of course nothing ever happens. And your arguments are of no more interest or worth than the arguments of the many prophets of doom who preceded you, and whose prophecies also failed.

I find it is mankind with his Doom-and-Gloom Doom's Day Clock with its hands set close to striking the dark midnight hour. Whereas, the Bible's 'Good News' is about Christ's 1,000-year rule over Earth in righteousness.
So, it is mankind who are the many prophets of doom and gloom.

Even though people throughout the centuries have speculated about ' when ', a wrong speculation does Not make the Bible as wrong. Never before in history has man been able to accomplish Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8.
Even modern technology has made rapid Bible translation possible so that people now in remote areas of Earth have Scripture, so the international proclaiming about God's kingdom good news is saturating the Earth today as never before in history.

The proclaiming from the ' powers that be ' of "Peace and Security..." also has Not yet happened as per 1 Thessalonians 5:2-3, but that does Not mean it will Not happen.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I find it is mankind with his Doom-and-Gloom Doom's Day Clock with its hands set close to striking the dark midnight hour. Whereas, the Bible's 'Good News' is about Christ's 1,000-year rule over Earth in righteousness.
I find it fascinating, since you believe in an eternal God and an eternity in Heaven, that you refer to "Christ's 1,000-year rule over Earth in righteousness," as being of any significance or interest at all. After all, 1,000 years compared to eternity is essentially nothing.

I might suggest you try collecting all of your notions and comparing them, one to the other, to see if they actually make any sort of coherent sense.

OtherSheep

<--@ Titangel

The only criteria we seem to have for the identity of nations depends upon people like Josephus... if not solely upon that one man. Keep in mind that he considered the shepherd kings to be his own race... and then ask yourself why that is... after reading Against Apion. The same thing happened on a larger scale when Sumer was discovered, and called Ur of the Chaldees. One man stood up and ruined his reputation for good, by claiming Sumerians were Shemites.

The special term of which you speak had to do with one man named Abraham... who came from Terah in Armenia or Babylon. If it's Babylon, then the human sacrifice of slaves belonged to those Akkadian Semites. Is that what happened in the Egypt you're talking about? There were many dynasties, and some were known to be Nubian.

Because, seriously, Misraim was the name we're supposed to have been looking for. Egypt is only what the scribes wrote, using what they thought to be the case at the time, which came to replace the actual name thereafter. Who knows where Misraim really went. But Egypt is not the same physical type that we see on the monuments of Persia and Babylon and Assyria... which are probably the Cus_ites. Those guys were beefy dudes. But the Egyptians on the pyramids of Exodus times looked like the Priest-King of Crete... tall and willowy with broad shoulders, and elf-locks, rather than tight curls... and the Akkadian Semites look nothing like that-period Egyptians.

The best website for all-things Sumer.
Images of Sumerian life

The Priest-King of Crete.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/519391769497784647/

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I find it fascinating, since you believe in an eternal God and an eternity in Heaven, that you refer to "Christ's 1,000-year rule over Earth in righteousness," as being of any significance or interest at all. After all, 1,000 years compared to eternity is essentially nothing.
I might suggest you try collecting all of your notions and comparing them, one to the other, to see if they actually make any sort of coherent sense.

Jesus only offered an eternity in Heaven to some chosen ones. Most people are offered eternal life on Earth as Adam was.
When Jesus spoke of 'everlasting life' it was mostly about humble meek people inheriting the Earth.
True, a thousand-year governmental rule is essentially nothing compared to eternity.
Jesus came to undo the damage Satan and Adam brought upon the human race.
The majority of people have lived and died without knowing about Jesus.
The millennial reign will give those resurrected people the opportunity to learn about Jesus.
Please notice what happens at the end or the 1,000 years according to 1 Corinthians 15:24-26.
There we are informed at the ' end ' of the thousand years Jesus will give back God's kingdom to his God.
The focal point in verses 25- 26 is that Jesus only governs over God's kingdom or government until Jesus puts all his enemies under his feet. The last enemy to be put under Jesus' feet (stomped out) is enemy death.
Plus, Jesus will have accomplished ' healing ' for all of earth's nations as per Revelation 22:2.
So, by the end of Jesus' millennim-long day of governing over Earth Jesus will have accomplished all he set out to do.
Then, mankind, whether in Heaven or living here on Earth, will then have a one-on-one relationship with God as Adam had before his downfall.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Their cultural practices and sacrifices weren't similar.
Indeed. Egyptians had more knowledge, civil rights, money, etc. :)

It was the Jews who declared themselves special, wasn't it?
Yeah, I mean, they wrote the books, so naturally they're the heroes.

The Israelites wrote the most successful best seller ever!

The Egyptian stories, good as they are, went out of print for a long time.
I can go to a pyramid and read an original "Book of the Dead." Where am I going to find an original scripture from the bible?

I'd suspect monotheism.
Egypt started it, though, from what I understand. You don't even get clear monotheism until much later as the bible's plot progresses.

Rather, I find it was God's promise to father Abraham that made them special (set apart) til Messiah arrived.
Abraham was technically neither a Jew nor an Israelite, both terms coming up much, MUCH later.

That is because Messiah would then come through Abraham's line.
Why is God, who can make a man out of dirt, so obsessed with bloodlines? Who cares? Just poof up a hero and move on with Your day.

God made them special, they were few and stubborn and that's how God decided to begin to display His glory
Indeed. Per God's orders, they created a xenophobic theocracy and it never got split up or destroyed and still exists in unbroken history to this day. No? Huh, imagine that.

"Zionist cause is very close to my heart…. I am very confident of the happy development of the Jewish colony and am glad that there should be a tiny speck on this earth in which the members of our tribe should not be aliens…." - Albert Einstein's letter to physicist Paul Epstein , October 1919
Doesn't the bible describe how they conquered lands and killed the original inhabitants? How are they not aliens in a land that didn't originally belong to them?

My experience with Jewish people has been very positive. They seem very family oriented and also have a high view of justice and fairness. But all people are fallen.. some nearer and some farther from God and all in need of salvation. They are it's fair to say 'special'
I'm very impressed with the determination of a people to survive despite fundamentalists of their religion throughout history trying desperately to ensure their defeat. Even MODERN Israel is getting annoyed with this type of group, because you can't run a country on a bunch of men sitting around reading scriptures all day and not doing anything else.

God proved it by executing judgments on the Egyptian gods.
The funny thing is, Egypt has lasted longer than Israel has. Guess Ra got the last laugh after all.

History shows me that only the ancient nation of ancient Israel had the Constitution of the Mosaic Law contract.
Which borrowed from Hammurabi and such because Moses never really existed. We can tell because King Josiah *cough* discovers *cough* a law book. I don't remember if the bible says if they checked to see if the ink was dry and what dating techniques were used. But, hey -- the King needed a national origin to pull backstabbing tribes together under one roof. What can you do? *shrugs*

BTW, just for the record, I really don't get into the "chosen" thingy.
Look to the wisdom of Grand Nagus Gint: [Rule of Acquisition #239] Never be afraid to mislabel a product.

God told ME that He didn't say half of what's in the bible and anything He declared would be visible in nature.

Says people, who according to self-same people, are liars.

Peace and Security..." as the precursor to the coming great tribulation before Jesus, as Prince of Peace, ushers in global Peace on Earth among persons of goodwill.
Jesus confuses "peace" with "quiet".

Whereas, the Bible's 'Good News' is about Christ's 1,000-year rule over Earth in righteousness.
Out of eternity? What is more important than ruling earth? Why isn't Jesus willing commit full time to the job?

Does he have something BETTER to do?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Well I'm a Christian who actually reads the Bible...

...and besides, if God is on your side, what room are there for enemies to touch you?
This doesn't matter. The 'OT' is part of your Bible. The Christians claim to believe in the same G-d as the Jews. So your point is nonsense.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Out of eternity? What is more important than ruling earth? Why isn't Jesus willing commit full time to the job?

As far as the Egyptians, if it wasn't for an Act of God I think Egypt would have lasted even longer.
Whereas, ancient Israel was only to last until Messiah came. That was a temporary arrangement.

Right now Jesus' full time job is that he rules or governs full time over the Christian congregation.
Though Not physically present the congregation functions just as Jesus said it would at Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8.

At the soon coming ' time of separation ' of Matthew 25:31-33,37,40 comes Jesus will expand his full time job to clean up the whole Earth.
As a New Broom sweeps clean, Jesus' words will sweep away any who would bring ruin to Earth.
So, Jesus, as King of God's Kingdom of Daniel 2:44, will usher in global Peace on Earth among persons of goodwill.

whirlingmerc

Yeah, I mean, they wrote the books, so naturally they're the heroes.

I can go to a pyramid and read an original "Book of the Dead." Where am I going to find an original scripture from the bible?

Egypt started it, though, from what I understand. You don't even get clear monotheism until much later as the bible's plot progresses.

Abraham was technically neither a Jew nor an Israelite, both terms coming up much, MUCH later.

Why is God, who can make a man out of dirt, so obsessed with bloodlines? Who cares? Just poof up a hero and move on with Your day.

Indeed. Per God's orders, they created a xenophobic theocracy and it never got split up or destroyed and still exists in unbroken history to this day. No? Huh, imagine that.

Doesn't the bible describe how they conquered lands and killed the original inhabitants? How are they not aliens in a land that didn't originally belong to them?

I'm very impressed with the determination of a people to survive despite fundamentalists of their religion throughout history trying desperately to ensure their defeat. Even MODERN Israel is getting annoyed with this type of group, because you can't run a country on a bunch of men sitting around reading scriptures all day and not doing anything else.

The funny thing is, Egypt has lasted longer than Israel has. Guess Ra got the last laugh after all.

Which borrowed from Hammurabi and such because Moses never really existed. We can tell because King Josiah *cough* discovers *cough* a law book. I don't remember if the bible says if they checked to see if the ink was dry and what dating techniques were used. But, hey -- the King needed a national origin to pull backstabbing tribes together under one roof. What can you do? *shrugs*

Look to the wisdom of Grand Nagus Gint: [Rule of Acquisition #239] Never be afraid to mislabel a product.

God told ME that He didn't say half of what's in the bible and anything He declared would be visible in nature.

Says people, who according to self-same people, are liars.

Hospitality in the new testament is closer to xenophile in greek

2ndpillar

As far as the Egyptians, if it wasn't for an Act of God I think Egypt would have lasted even longer.
Whereas, ancient Israel was only to last until Messiah came. That was a temporary arrangement.

Right now Jesus' full time job is that he rules or governs full time over the Christian congregation.
Though Not physically present the congregation functions just as Jesus said it would at Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8.

At the soon coming ' time of separation ' of Matthew 25:31-33,37,40 comes Jesus will expand his full time job to clean up the whole Earth.
As a New Broom sweeps clean, Jesus' words will sweep away any who would bring ruin to Earth.
So, Jesus, as King of God's Kingdom of Daniel 2:44, will usher in global Peace on Earth among persons of goodwill.

I am thinking that it will be the "Word of God", which will "smite the nations" and "rule them with a rod of iron" (Revelation 19:15). At that time, the "Christians", who have for the most part, the mark of the beast (Revelation 20:4), will remain dead (Revelation 20:5). King David will reign over the combined stick of Judah and the house of Israel (Ezekiel 37:15-28). The nations/Gentiles at that time will confess that "our fathers have inherited nothing but falsehood". (Jeremiah 16:19). Your "coming time of separation" is progressively laid out in Matthew 13:30, whereas the "tares" are "first" "gathered out" and "burned", and then the wheat is gathered into the barn, which is to say, gathered into the and I gave to Jacob (Ezekiel 37:25). As for Matthew 24:14, you preach the gospel of grace/cross, which is the gospel of the false prophet, which is part and parcel of the mark of the beast. A little leaven spoils the whole loaf.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I am thinking that it will be the "Word of God", which will "smite the nations" and "rule them with a rod of iron" (Revelation 19:15). At that time, the "Christians", who have for the most part, the mark of the beast (Revelation 20:4), will remain dead (Revelation 20:5). King David will reign over the combined stick of Judah and the house of Israel (Ezekiel 37:15-28). The nations/Gentiles at that time will confess that "our fathers have inherited nothing but falsehood". (Jeremiah 16:19). Your "coming time of separation" is progressively laid out in Matthew 13:30, whereas the "tares" are "first" "gathered out" and "burned", and then the wheat is gathered into the barn, which is to say, gathered into the and I gave to Jacob (Ezekiel 37:25). As for Matthew 24:14, you preach the gospel of grace/cross, which is the gospel of the false prophet, which is part and parcel of the mark of the beast. A little leaven spoils the whole loaf.

No, I preach the gospel of Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8 about the ' good news of God's kingdom ' of Daniel 2:44.
God's kingdom is Not grace, Not a cross, but God's real theocratic government in the hands of Christ for 1,000 years.
At the end of the thousand years Jesus hands back God's Kingdom to his God as per 1 Corinthians 15:24-26.

King David (who is Not yet resurrected - Acts of the Apostles 2:34) will be resurrected back to live life on Earth.
David will then serve mankind as a ' Prince ' on Earth as per Isaiah 32; Ezekiel 34:23-24; Psalms 45:16

2ndpillar

No, I preach the gospel of Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8 about the ' good news of God's kingdom ' of Daniel 2:44.
God's kingdom is Not grace, Not a cross, but God's real theocratic government in the hands of Christ for 1,000 years.
At the end of the thousand years Jesus hands back God's Kingdom to his God as per 1 Corinthians 15:24-26.

King David (who is Not yet resurrected - Acts of the Apostles 2:34) will be resurrected back to live life on Earth.
David will then serve mankind as a ' Prince ' on Earth as per Isaiah 32; Ezekiel 34:23-24; Psalms 45:16

David will be king over the reunited "stick" of Judah, and the "stick" of "Ephraim"/"Israel", who will be placed on "the land that I gave to Jacob" (Ezekiel 37:15-25). "Israel" will be the "sanctuary of the "LORD" (Ezekiel 37:28). Daniel 2:44 is the same as Daniel 2:35 & 45, whereas the "stone" (the Word of God) will strike all the nations listed, all at the same time. At that time, the nations/Gentiles will confess they have followed "falsehood" (Jeremiah 16:19). Your 144,000 will all be sons of Israel (Revelation 7). Matthew 24:14, is about the "gospel of the kingdom", which includes using the power of the kingdom of heaven to heal the sick.(Matthew 4:23) You go out without power, and the light you use is the light of men, and of the false prophet Paul, which only leads to the destruction (Matthew 7:13), which comes with the "awesome day of the LORD". There will be those on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem who will escape (Joel 2:31-32), but the cities of the nations will "fall" (Revelation 16:19). You will need a sturdy desk to hide under.(Revelation 6:15).

New American Standard Bible Matthew 24:14
"This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come.

Matthew 4:23
And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.