• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the best Religion?

What is the best Religion?

• Islam

• Christianity

• Hinduism

• Buddhism

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirran

Premium Member
I don't think any of these is intrinsically better than the others. I'm a Hindu who believes there are many paths to God, or the Absolute.

Welcome to RF, also!

Mackerni

Libertarian Unitarian
There's no such thing as a "best" religion. The religion that has the most influence and followers, globally, is Christianity. Christianity has so many sects however that you could talk to two different Christians and get something completely different from them. Islam, Buddhism, and Hinduism have a lot of things to believe in, and are very influential. To me, there is no such thing as a best religion, but there is such a thing as a good or bad religion.

Good Religions
1) Influences
2) Have activities to do
3) Has at least one central book Has updated and standard guidelines to be a good person
4) People follow because they want to
5) Teach others philosophy and morality
6) Central figure is dead

Bad Religions
1) Brainwashes
2) Lack members and activities
3) Doesn't have guidelines, or has too many of them
4) People follow because they feel obligated
5) Teach malevolent practices
6) Central figure is alive and God, or a God-incarnate

As such, I will abstain from the poll. There are some sects of Christianity that exemplify the qualities of a good religion, possibly making them the best religion, but then there is the likes of Ray Comfort.

Last edited:

Kirran

Premium Member
There's no such thing as a "best" religion. The religion that has the most influence and followers, globally, is Christianity. Christianity has so many sects however that you could talk to two different Christians and get something completely different from them. Islam, Buddhism, and Hinduism have a lot of things to believe in, and are very influential. To me, there is no such thing as a best religion, but there is such a thing as a good or bad religion.

Good Religions
1) Influences
2) Have activities to do
3) Has at least one central book
4) People follow because they want to
5) Teach others philosophy and morality
6) Central figure is dead

Bad Religions
1) Brainwashes
2) Lack members and activities
3) Doesn't have guidelines, or has too many of them
4) People follow because they feel obligated
5) Teach malevolent practices
6) Central figure is alive and God, or a God-incarnate

As such, I will abstain from the poll. There are some sects of Christianity that exemplify the qualities of a good religion, possibly making them the best religion, but then there is the likes of Ray Comfort.

I'm curious as to why you feel a good religion should have at least one central book.

Mackerni

Libertarian Unitarian
I'm curious as to why you feel a good religion should have at least one central book.

That originally was without the "at least" part, in particular because I feel like a religion should have only one core document that highlights the organization's qualities and unique strengths. If you didn't realize, the Good and Bad Religions were a mimic of each other; 1 went with 1, and so on. A religion without a book is without guidelines, and teachings. I think everybody should have that one special book that they find wisdom and inspiration from. It doesn't even have to be religious in nature. Some people take their values from Ayn Rand, and their special book is Atlas Shrugged. After all, it is considered to be the second most influential book, right after the Bible.

The religious organizations I've examined, Unitarian Universalism and Baha'i Faith, tackle this issue very differently. On one hand, Baha'i Faith has one central book - the Aqdas, whereas Unitarian Universalism has a core of books discussing the values of the religion and a Hymnal (which is expensive!). The Baha'i Faith has many books authored by their prophet Baha'u'llah, including Gleanings, Certitude, and the Epistles as some of the most valued texts. Then, after that, there's books by Abdul'Baha, that are viewed by Haifa Baha'is as Holy as scripture from Baha'u'llah. After that, you have the Shoghi Effendi and the Universal House of Justice pressings. But even more so, the Baha'i Faith is considered an Abrahamic Faith, so it is only customary for them to have a Torah, a Bible, or a Qu'ran as well. As far as Unitarians go, I get the general sense that they could find value in just about any book.

The best religion should have a chief book by a dead author, and that author was the founder of the religion. But, what would make it the best religion, would be the sincere devotion of its followers to create their own books to reflect the attitudes and thoughts of the dead prophet. It would be one book, however, by the one author ... nobody else, and not more than one book. the Bible was supposedly written by over forty people. As mentioned before, Baha'u'llah and his lineage wrote many books (I will note that they designed Aqdas as the example however). As far as the other major religions go, Islam has the Hadith, and Hinduism and Buddhism has their own lineage of books. There should only be one official book, and if that book is influential, it should be the basis of many other works after the messenger is long past away.

I wish I had that one special book...

Kirran

Premium Member
That originally was without the "at least" part, in particular because I feel like a religion should have only one core document that highlights the organization's qualities and unique strengths. If you didn't realize, the Good and Bad Religions were a mimic of each other; 1 went with 1, and so on. A religion without a book is without guidelines, and teachings. I think everybody should have that one special book that they find wisdom and inspiration from. It doesn't even have to be religious in nature. Some people take their values from Ayn Rand, and their special book is Atlas Shrugged. After all, it is considered to be the second most influential book, right after the Bible.

The religious organizations I've examined, Unitarian Universalism and Baha'i Faith, tackle this issue very differently. On one hand, Baha'i Faith has one central book - the Aqdas, whereas Unitarian Universalism has a core of books discussing the values of the religion and a Hymnal (which is expensive!). The Baha'i Faith has many books authored by their prophet Baha'u'llah, including Gleanings, Certitude, and the Epistles as some of the most valued texts. Then, after that, there's books by Abdul'Baha, that are viewed by Haifa Baha'is as Holy as scripture from Baha'u'llah. After that, you have the Shoghi Effendi and the Universal House of Justice pressings. But even more so, the Baha'i Faith is considered an Abrahamic Faith, so it is only customary for them to have a Torah, a Bible, or a Qu'ran as well. As far as Unitarians go, I get the general sense that they could find value in just about any book.

The best religion should have a chief book by a dead author, and that author was the founder of the religion. But, what would make it the best religion, would be the sincere devotion of its followers to create their own books to reflect the attitudes and thoughts of the dead prophet. It would be one book, however, by the one author ... nobody else, and not more than one book. the Bible was supposedly written by over forty people. As mentioned before, Baha'u'llah and his lineage wrote many books (I will note that they designed Aqdas as the example however). As far as the other major religions go, Islam has the Hadith, and Hinduism and Buddhism has their own lineage of books. There should only be one official book, and if that book is influential, it should be the basis of many other works after the messenger is long past away.

I wish I had that one special book...

Interesting thoughts on this, thankyou.

As is likely among Hindus, I don't agree with you, but nevertheless :p

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"The best religion" is an insidious concept in so far as it implies folks ought to all have the same religion.
That is an excellent answer. "Best" is totally relative to the person and situation. What is best for me, may be the worst for another. To me the "best" religion would be the one that allows the most diversity and doesn't try to say any one way is the best for everyone else. But for the person who can't function with ambiguity, the best religion would be a dictatorial one, not allowing diversity of thought, telling them what to believe, how to think and act, and leave no room to question authorities' judgments of these things.

But that does raise the question somewhat related. What type of religion would ultimately be the most functional for everyone? Would it be the tolerant religion, or the dictatorial one? I would argue the tolerant one would be "better" in the grand scheme of things because it allows those who cannot function under a dictatorial system to thrive and grow, while at the same time allowing the dictatorial system to exist for those who need that for themselves. The dictatorial system on the other hand could not tolerate the open system and disallow an option for those who need that access to it. That would harm them, as opposed to the other that simply needs to allow something that they are uncomfortable with to exist for the sake of others who are not themselves. So in that sense, the tolerant religion is "best". But it is best in a relative context, which would be a cosmopolitan society where diversity is the name of the game. Is it best in a tribal community where strict adherence to norms is required though?

Yeah, the question is misplaced, especially here addressed to about as diverse a community as one could hope for! :)

Its Ahmadiyya Islam of Mirza Ghulam Ahmad Hazrat Khalifa Promised Messiah.
I even know why.
Because Ahmadiyya Islam of Mirza Ghulam Ahmad Hazrat Khalifa Promised Messiah is fastest growing religion worldwide and opened Mosque by promised Mahdi all the time.
Yes, you can vote for Islam. Ahmadiyya Muslim Community is True Islam.

Hello Mackerni, of course there has to be the best religion and that has to be the standard for humans to follow. Also the best Religion can be determined through its matchless features.

Hello, of course there has to be the best religion and that has to be the standard for humans to follow. Also the best Religion can be determined through its matchless features.
I don't think any of these is intrinsically better than the others. I'm a Hindu who believes there are many paths to God, or the Absolute.

Welcome to RF, also!

Status
Not open for further replies.