• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you usually cook for dinner?

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
It's chopped up ground beef cooked in a skillet with brown sugar and ketchup served up on a hamburger bun. I think it's horrible.

You could take the same idea and use different herbs and spices instead of the sugar and ketchup. Try thyme (fresh, finely chopped) , a little cumin powder, or cumin seeds, and some salt. Super easy. You can throw some spinach leaves in the skillet towards the end too. They reduce down a lot in volume, so pile it on. Stir til it’s soft. Done. Now crumble in some feta cheese. You got some some good **** right there.

Cooky

Veteran Member
You could take the same idea and use different herbs and spices instead of the sugar and ketchup. Try thyme (fresh, finely chopped) , a little cumin powder, or cumin seeds, and some salt. Super easy. You can throw some spinach leaves in the skillet towards the end too. They reduce down a lot in volume, so pile it on. Stir til it’s soft. Done. Now crumble in some feta cheese. You got some some good **** right there.

Good ideas! In the past, I've tried adding onions and diced tomato's, but what you've described sounds much better actually.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
My son really loves this recipe: we add a chopped red onion to the roasting pan and throw it in the oven before adding the nuts to toast, and add a splash of balsamic vinegar at the table. It you can't find dried cherries, you can substitute dried cranberries for the dried cherries. You can also substitute sliced almonds for the pine nuts if you like. Don't skimp on the nutmeg, though!
Angel Hair with Chicken & Cherries

crossfire

Premium Member
My version of "Seattle Style Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches," inspired by Seattle-Style hot dogs. (My son says they are a vast improvement on both the Seattle style hot dogs and the Philly Cheese Steak.)

Ingredients:
Hoagie Rolls or Outdoor Rolls
Cream Cheese
Butter, about 1/2 pat per serving
Fresh Mushrooms (about 1 per each serving)
Onion, chopped (about 1/4 cup per serving)
Garlic, minced (about 1/2 clove per serving)
Chopped green pepper and/or jalapeno (optional)
Provolone Cheese slices (optional)
Fresh arugula or other mustard green
Thick cut sirloin steaks, about 5 oz per serving
Olive oil
Cooking wine
Balsamic vinegar
Coarse salt
Freshly cracked pepper

(also need one sheet of aluminum foil per serving, cast iron skillets to accommodate steaks, large cutting board, and an instant-read thermometer.)

About 1 hr before cooking, set steaks out on a plate to relax, sprinkling both sides with coarse salt and cracked pepper. Set out cream cheese to soften.

Prepare board: wash and slice mushrooms, chop onions, set aside. Chop peppers if using, and set aside. Peel and mince garlic. Arrange 1/4 pats of butter on board where each steak can rest. Divide up half the minced garlic around the pats of butter, reserving the rest of the butter and garlic to put on top of the steaks while they rest. Sprinkle board with freshly ground pepper, and have sheets of foil ready.

After steaks have relaxed, heat cast iron skillets to medium-medium high, add a small amount of olive oil, then using tongs, place steaks in the pan, and cook for about 5 minutes without moving them. Flip steaks with tongs, and cook until they read between 120° and 125° on an instant read thermometer, then remove with tongs to their resting stations on the board, with 1/4 pat of butter and minced garlic underneath, top with another 1/4 pat of butter and minced garlic, sprinkle with cracked pepper, cover with foil and let rest about 10 minutes.

While steaks are cooking, toast rolls and spread both sides with cream cheese, set aside. Preheat oven to 425°

After removing steaks from pan to rest, add sliced mushrooms and chopped onions to the pan, cook briefly, then add wine to deglaze the pan. Add a splash of balsamic vinegar, and remove to separate bowl. (You can either cook the peppers, if using, with onions/mushrooms, or cook them separately, or leave them raw.)

When steaks have finished resting, one by one, uncover steak, slice thinly into strips, mix with butter/juices, and replace each foil cover and move on to the next steak.

When all steaks are sliced, assemble sandwiches:

Remove foil tent, and place a toasted roll with cream cheese on foil sheet. Add optional chopped green pepper or jalapenos. Top with about 4-5 oz of steak strips, top with a portion of the mushroom/onion mixture, then top with sliced provolone cheese if desired. Add more freshly ground pepper if desired. Wrap sandwich in foil and place in preheated oven for about 20-30 minutes if you don't like rare steak. Remove from oven and add fresh arugula/mustard greens before serving. If you do like rare steak, then you can add some fresh arugula/mustard greens and serve immediately.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I never eat carbs after 6 pm...so a salad...
Actually we Italians have the big meal between 1 and 2 pm

PureX

Veteran Member
I usually go with some kind of unprocessed meat (chicken, turkey, or pork), potatoes, rice, or bread (for a hot sandwich), and a vegetable (carrots, sprouts, broccoli, or green beans, mostly). I can make a meal in about 20-30 minutes, and usually in one or two pots (less to clean up). This "system" gives me a lot of variety without a lot of fuss. Occasionally I'll treat myself with take-out, but not more than once a week.

crossfire

Premium Member
Warning! The following recipe is not suitable those on a low-carb, paleo, low-fat, low protein, and/or gluten-free diets, or for those prone to kidney stones or gout. (You must also have some leftover salmon.)

If anyone is left, this simple recipe I just intuitively threw together is quick, easy, and delicious.

Cook 1 lb thin spaghetti according to package directions
add 12 oz fresh cut asparagus to pasta during last 2 minutes of cooking.

Meanwhile:

In a large pyrex glass serving bowl, put:
1/2 stick of butter
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 to 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
1 teaspoon minced garlic
dash hot pepper
optional dill or fennel
salt & freshly ground pepper to taste

microwave 1 minute until butter melts

remove from microwave, and stir in 2 eggs.

Add drained hot pasta and asparagus, and toss well to coat

top with flakes of leftover salmon and more freshly ground pepper.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What are some of the most common dishes you or your family tend to cook for dinners? I'm looking for some new ideas or even recipes (if I should get so lucky).

Thanks. :)

Things I commonly eat for dinner:
  • Dinner salad
    • Lettuce blend
    • Hard-boiled eggs
    • Sliced pimiento olives
    • Shredded cheddar cheese
    • Crispy onions
    • Garlic Parmesan dressing
    • Plant based bacon bits
  • Paneer tikka masala w/basmati rice and naan or kulcha
  • Plant based chicken tikka masala w/basmati rice and naan or kulcha
  • Paneer makhani w/basmati rice and naan or kucha
  • Saag paneer w/tamarind rice
  • Mattar paneer w/basmati rice and naan or kulcha
  • Navarattan korma w/basmati rice and naan or kulcha
  • Pizza

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
think I want to try a make a carbonara .. might make me actually like spaghetti style pasta , which in opinion, does not hold tomato sauce well

Carbonara with cream sauce or a rustic carbonara?

I like both but the best i ever had was in a tiny back street cafe in Certaldo in Italy. Why we selected the place was spotting both local police and firefighters going inside for lunch, always a good sign.

What arrived was a bowl of spaghetti with plenty of pancetta bits and grated parmesan cheese with a raw egg poured on top.

Mix it up, the heat cooks the egg.

Simple and delicious.

With a cream sauce (can also be used on tagliatelli or with tortellini)

While the pasta and pancetta (bacon or lardons) is cooking mix a couple of teaspoons of corn flour (not sure if its cornstarch or cornmeal in the american language) with a little fresh cream to make a paste, add enough full cream for the dish, a knob of butter and microwave, stirring regularly until it thickens

Drain the pasta, put it back in the pan, mix in the pancetta and cream, heat slowly, stirring until the cream coats the pasta.

With tagliatelli use smoked salmon in place of pancetta, no need to pre-cook it.

Tortallini doesn't need anything other than the cream but it is nice with smoked trout or smoked salmon

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I make this a couple of time a week.

Preheat the oven to 209c / 400f / gas 6

Potatoes, carrots, maybe turnip and/or parsnip cleaned, peeled and diced then part cooked until just softening

A bell pepper, tomatoes, mushrooms onion. Maybe aubergine (eggplant). Cleaned and diced into about 1/2 inch cubes

Put the lot in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil, (or melted butter) and sprinkle with herbs de provance then toss it all together.

Line a baking tray with oven paper and spead the melange out.

Pop into the oven and roast until beginning to brown.

It goes with just about anything.

crossfire

Premium Member
Teriyaki chicken is easy to make.

In a 1 gallon sized zip lock bag, combine 1 part sugar, one part mirin, 1 part sake (or 1/2 part vinegar,) 2 parts soy sauce, and 2 parts water, along with a small amount of toasted sesame oil. You can also add fresh grated ginger, garlic, hot pepper, and onion as well, but I just use some yellow curry paste instead. Mix well in bag, then add chicken thighs , close bag, and leave in refrigerator to marinade until ready to cook.

When ready to cook, preheat broiler, and cook chicken thighs about 15 minutes under the broiler, flip, then cook another 15 minites or so until done. (Discard marinade.)

Serve with hot rice and a simple salad of shredded cabbage and carrot dressed with diluted sweetened vinegar.

crossfire

Premium Member
This recipe is pretty close to my spicy cauliflower soup. I add a grated carrot and omit the tumeric, and use sour cream and mint instead of the yogurt and cilantro. I only puree half of the soup, so it still has some chewiness.
ALICE WATERS’ SPICY CAULIFLOWER SOUP

crossfire

Premium Member
I make this a couple of time a week.

Preheat the oven to 209c / 400f / gas 6

Potatoes, carrots, maybe turnip and/or parsnip cleaned, peeled and diced then part cooked until just softening

A bell pepper, tomatoes, mushrooms onion. Maybe aubergine (eggplant). Cleaned and diced into about 1/2 inch cubes

Put the lot in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil, (or melted butter) and sprinkle with herbs de provance then toss it all together.

Line a baking tray with oven paper and spead the melange out.

Pop into the oven and roast until beginning to brown.

It goes with just about anything.
Roasted veggies rock! You can also add sweet potatoes.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
My wife cooks mostly Sicilian-style dishes, which tends to differ significantly from what one normally gets at an Italian restaurant.

One of my favorites is called "pasta galagia" (spelled phonetically) that is with a thin pasta with an uncooked tomato sauce heavily laced with garlic, that also includes fresh basil, ground roasted almonds, olive oil, and salt. The sauce is served at room temperature with a bit of butter or more olive oil over the pasta.

Do not eat before going out publicly because the garlic needs to be strong enough that it "bites". It keeps vampires away though.