• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you usually cook for dinner?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Mate, invest in an air fryer.
I burn eggs and can’t be bothered cooking most days. And even I can cook everything from fish and chips to pizzas and even fried/marinated chicken thanks to its wizardry.

Also non American here, what’s a sloppy Joe?

I recently got an air fryer and we love it, especially the kids. Great for fries, fish sticks, cheese sticks, breaded mushrooms, nuggets, pizza rolls, shrimp, hush puppies, egg rolls, etc.

I love sloppy joes. It's usually loose ground beef in a tangy tomato based sauce, often seasoned with peppers, onions, and garlic.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Roasted veggies rock! You can also add sweet potatoes.
I love sweet potatoes.

Unfortunately, my partner doesn't.
He also doesn't like onions or garlic.
He considers canned green beans to be a vegetable.

And he refuses to eat rice or beans.

What am I supposed to cook?
Tom

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I love sweet potatoes.

Tom

Do what i do, my eldest daughter is a vegetarian, the rest of us aren't. 2 pans instead of one. Mostly the same ingredients but i omit meat products on hers. And make it up with stiff she will eat.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I love sweet potatoes.

Tom
Well, the first vegetable you are supposed to introduce to babies is squash...you can try that if your partner hasn't been properly introduced to vegetables. :confused:

Maybe start with cream of zuccini soup or butternut soup?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Well, the first vegetable you are supposed to introduce to babies is squash...you can try that if your partner hasn't been properly introduced to vegetables. :confused:

Maybe start with cream of zuccini soup or butternut soup?
Doug and I have been together around 25 years.

I stopped trying to fix him around 20 years ago.
Things got better. Mostly.
Tom

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I recently got an air fryer and we love it, especially the kids. Great for fries, fish sticks, cheese sticks, breaded mushrooms, nuggets, pizza rolls, shrimp, hush puppies, egg rolls, etc..
It’s a godsend. Had one from when I worked retail back in the day.
Get home from work, chuck something into it, have a shower and return to something delicious. The miracles of science!!!

I love sloppy joes. It's usually loose ground beef in a tangy tomato based sauce, often seasoned with peppers, onions, and garlic.
Oh okay, that sounds more reasonable.
I find there’s certain foods I like only if they are prepared a certain way. Like I despise steamed cauliflower with a passion. But cook it in turmeric and spices and I’ll eat it for days. Same if you use it in a potato cheese bake thing. But steamed cauliflower to me is just a plastic version of broccoli lol

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I find there’s certain foods I like only if they are prepared a certain way. Like I despise steamed cauliflower with a passion. But cook it in turmeric and spices and I’ll eat it for days. Same if you use it in a potato cheese bake thing. But steamed cauliflower to me is just a plastic version of broccoli lol
I love steamed cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots in butter or a cheese sauce.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I love steamed cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots in butter or a cheese sauce.
I do like broccoli and carrots. They’re fine steamed.
I think it’s more that my mum is Indian, so I was introduced to curried vegetables first. So they’re either broken down to where you don’t know they’re there (a sneaky way to get little kids to eat their greens) or they’re curried in a bunch of spices. So it could just be me finding it bland in comparison lol

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I do like broccoli and carrots. They’re fine steamed.
I think it’s more that my mum is Indian, so I was introduced to curried vegetables first. So they’re either broken down to where you don’t know they’re there (a sneaky way to get little kids to eat their greens) or they’re curried in a bunch of spices. So it could just be me finding it bland in comparison lol
Dumb question: I've had and enjoyed dishes (both thai and indian) called curry, but what makes something curried?

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Dumb question: I've had and enjoyed dishes (both thai and indian) called curry, but what makes something curried?
Curried is just something cooked in a sauce or gravy. So basically you’re sautéing your foods in various spices. The spices depend on the region you’re eating from.
So my mother is technically from a southern Indian region. So the curries tend to by more gravy like, for lack of a better word and more spicy. Northern I think is dryer, Western uses sugar and Eastern I think utilises more coconut and milky flavours. But don’t quote me on that.
On top of that there are other Asian regions with their own flavours and curry techniques. Like my mother is also Fijian born, so the cuisines mix. So you end up with something like a very spicy cassava dish. Which is a root vegetable similar to sweet potato, native to Fiji. It’s not that bad, but I find it is bland by itself honestly.
At least it’s not kava. Yikes!

Last edited:

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
What are some of the most common dishes you or your family tend to cook for dinners? I'm looking for some new ideas or even recipes (if I should get so lucky).

Thanks. :)

My "speciality" dish, is a traditional flemish classic: "witloof rolletjes met puree". In english that is: "chicory rolls with mashed potato's".

It's basicly baked chicory rolled up in slices of ham. These are placed in an oven tray and drowned in "bechamel sauce". Again, don't know the english word. It's a white flower based cheese sauce. Then cheese is added on top of that to make a nice grilled cheese crust and the thing is put in the oven.

It is absolutely fingerlicking amazing.
If you decide to go for it, I'll give you a golden tip immediatly.

Chicory holds a lot of water. So you need to prepare the chicory a day in advance and have it "drip out" for a night. Otherwise, you'll have a bottom of water in the oven tray. It doesn't "destroy" the dish by any means, but it's a lot nicer if that bottom of water isn't there.

Either that, or you need to use "ground chicory". Not sure if that is how it's called in english. It's a kind of chicory that holds far less water. It's a bit more expensive, but you don't need to prepare it a day in advance.

Here's the recipy:
Bite: Witloof in hespenrolletjes | Flanders Today

And here's one of flander's best chefs demonstrating it in the kitchen.
Eventhough it's in dutch, I think you can actually mute and still get the jist of it.

ps: if you make it, let me know how it worked out! :)

Cooky

Veteran Member
My "speciality" dish, is a traditional flemish classic: "witloof rolletjes met puree". In english that is: "chicory rolls with mashed potato's".

It's basicly baked chicory rolled up in slices of ham. These are placed in an oven tray and drowned in "bechamel sauce". Again, don't know the english word. It's a white flower based cheese sauce. Then cheese is added on top of that to make a nice grilled cheese crust and the thing is put in the oven.

Chicory holds a lot of water. So you need to prepare the chicory a day in advance and have it "drip out" for a night. Otherwise, you'll have a bottom of water in the oven tray. It doesn't "destroy" the dish by any means, but it's a lot nicer if that bottom of water isn't there.

Either that, or you need to use "ground chicory". Not sure if that is how it's called in english. It's a kind of chicory that holds far less water. It's a bit more expensive, but you don't need to prepare it a day in advance.

Here's the recipy:

Eventhough it's in dutch, I think you can actually mute and still get the jist of it.

That looks really good.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Here's the recipy:

Bechamel sauce in English is bechamel sauce.

The chicory is usually called endive or radicchio.

I am not a fan of chicory but do a similar dish with white asparagus, not made it for a while but the white asparagus us just coming into season, thanks for reminding me

Cooky

Veteran Member
I made tostadas for breakfast this morning by pan frying corn tortillas in a small amount of vegetable oil, and then smearing refried beans on top with a fried egg on top of that, and then a spoonful of mango salsa.

Then I took the remaining tortillas and divided them up into 5 ziplock bags and froze them for future use. Now can do it 5 more times.

I was impressed with myself, considering I don't cook usually. :)