• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you do for a living?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
2. Don't let vendors autodebit your account. If you must, let them use your debit card, NOT your routing number and account number. You can always cancel a debit card if they get out of hand, but if you've given them your routing number/acct number, you will have to close the entire account.
<_<
>_>
O_O'

I let my utilities do that. I assume they are cool and won't be corrupt.

Well, actually I don't auto-debit. I pay manually electronically, but I do give them my routing and account numbers.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Must be a difference in personalities? I tend to think I have plenty of time, but I have low expectations.
Bingo. Personally clients that I deal with who are mothers feel that they have to take absolute care of everyone else's time before their own. My point to them is that if you cannot take 1 hour for yourself, you'll end up taking out frustration on everyone else in your life.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Don't trust'm. Utilities are often terrible at basic accounting matters. I believe it's a result of their being government regulated monopolies. With fixed rates, profit maximization is accomplished by cutting expenses on overhead costs like customer service, receipt processing. My experience with many dozens of electrical, gas, water & sewer accounts is unsettling. They could easily clean out your account because of a mistake, & it would a long time to fix the problem. I've allowed loan payments to be taken out though...fewer errors & the avoidance of massive late fees.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
How can I get free checking if the job I have doesn't have direct deposit? I pay a fee each month on my checking account.

I don't know about your bank, but at the bank I work at, you can have a checking acct with no monthly fee if you either:

1. Have direct deposit
2. Have 15 or more electronic transactions monthly on your acct (this includes debit card transactions, auto debits, and online bill payments).
3. Have an average monthly balance of $500.

Kathryn

Thanks! Excellent advice!

Arrgh, a few weeks ago I forgot about deposited checks not being available for withdrawal right away. After using the amount of overdraft protection available, I incurred NSF fees. Fun day!

Egads! Hey, check into seeing if you can attach a line of credit to your checking account - if you do that, you should have NO transfer fees and NO overdraft or NSF fees as long as you have the available credit. At least that's how it plays out at my bank.

Just be sure you pay that LOC off quickly each month or you'll just dig a hole for yourself. :cool:

Kathryn

<_<
>_>
O_O'

Well, actually I don't auto-debit. I pay manually electronically, but I do give them my routing and account numbers.

Well, utility companies are probably low risk. However, I recently had an elderly customer who didn't really review her statements, and one day when she did, she realized she had been double billed from the electric company. We pulled her statements and she had been double billed every month for three years.

So just be careful giving out that routing number and account number - and keep close tabs on your account! I look at mine daily. Fraud or mistakes can be easily addressed with minimal damage if caught quickly.

Kathryn

Don't trust'm. Utilities are often terrible at basic accounting matters. I believe it's a result of their being government regulated monopolies. With fixed rates, profit maximization is accomplished by cutting expenses on overhead costs like customer service, receipt processing. My experience with many dozens of electrical, gas, water & sewer accounts is unsettling. They could easily clean out your account because of a mistake, & it would a long time to fix the problem. I've allowed loan payments to be taken out though...fewer errors & the avoidance of massive late fees.

Here's my advice:

YOU originate the payments to everyone from YOUR checking account via online payments - autodebited every month. Then just check to be sure they've gone. That way YOU are controlling the transaction and you haven't given out your acct info, and even worse, authorized strangers to dip into your personal checking account as they see fit.

Which is what you agree to when you give them your routing and acct number - read the fine print.

(I don't really have a problem with automatic pmts via debit card - IF you can't do it any other way - like for instance, to Netflix or Ancestry.com, that sort of thing, because you can just cancel your debit card if they start debiting charges you don't agree with. BUT BE CAREFUL.)

When I bought my car, I just went online, put in the billing information, and scheduled 48 payments of $380 per month.

Oh, be sure you schedule the payments just as if you are mailing a check. Give them enough time to physically get there, in case the company doesn't accept electronic pmts and the bank must mail them a check.

The bank will mail a cashier's check from your acct to the company. Should be at no charge to you at all.

No postage, no envelopes, no hassle. And you control all of it.

I even sent a check the other day to pay for some Mary Kay products to one of my daughter's friends in Colorado - just put in her name, address, and the amt I wanted to send her and voila! So it doesn't have to be a company - you can send anyone a check from your online acct.

You probably know all this - I'm just babbling.

PS - Never - NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER - give anyone like FreeCreditReport.com your debit or acct information!

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
As of this moment I have no career. I'm 21 and work as an after school teacher's aid. I have a year's experience with special ed (Downs Syndrome). I'm looking to transfer back to my old work campus next fall because one of my closest friends and I had a blast working together last year, even if her and I like to make fun of each other a lot. :D

I'm planning to become a high school science teacher by 2012 but I'm exhausted from my school work and am contemplating a break or alternative certification route. I'm a double major in physics and social studies. Those two concentrations, plus my education minor and work schedule, are really taking a toll on me. Some semesters I'm putting in over 70 hours of work/school, and although I sneak in time to hang out with friends and party I've come to realize that I'm working two times as hard as I would in a regular job and the pay off is increasingly less significant grades. I've been in school nonstop since 2008 - haven't had time to take any summer sessions off.

I apologize if this post reads awkwardly; I've been having to swallow the death of my youth. I wouldn't say I'm a very spontaneous person, but I've come to idolize the young adult's lifestyle and the idea I have to tackle with issues like kids, careers, marriage, and responsibility for others in the next five years is depressing for someone who just likes to rave, read, drink, write, share in music, and sex.

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
Gene, wait another ten years to worry about all that stuff. 21 is when the best part of your youth starts. I'm 36 - I've spent 19 years seeing the world, meeting people, raving, writing, making music, etc. I'm only starting the "serious" stuff now. I'm starting it with someone I'm absolutely crazy about, and neither of us have any doubts or regrets about lost opportunities we can use to resent each other or our future kids. We did everything we wanted to do until we were thoroughly bored with it. This new phase is an adventure. There's nothing sadder than a young couple who settled down and had kids because they felt like it was "the done thing", only to plod through life in a dissatisfied stupor, not particularly liking each other.

Kathryn

Gene, there are a lot of different lifestyle choices out there. You can still have fun and go to school and work at the same time. Sounds like your schedule is a bit much. You have the ability to adjust it in order to give yourself a little more free time.

That being said, there's no time like the future to knock all that school out of the way and get your career going. You're not married and don't have kids, so you've got more freedom at your fingertips than you will once you get more of your life in place.

Take a summer semester off (and don't tell me that you can't - you can!) and travel.

There's nothing wrong with front loading your career and getting your life started on the track you choose - but do this in moderation.

One good thing about getting your career laid out early is that you will have all that youth and energy to invest in it when hard work counts the most and can push you the furthest. You don't have the experience yet - but you can offer hard work. Just don't burn yourself out.

It's very possible and beneficial for a young adult to be focused on building a career. The payoffs down the road can be amazing, if you choose the right career and have clearly defined goals that you're building toward.

My husband has focused intensely on his career since he was 21 years old and it's definitely paid off. He is now 53, his son is 17, and we've already booked a big vacation to Europe for this summer. Believe it or not, life can be really fun even in your forties and fifties!

And I'm not saying this choice is for everyone but think about this - if you want a family, and you want to be able to support them and provide well for them, you need a good career in place by the time you get married. AND if you focus on that when you are young, then when you are in your fifties (which believe it or not, can be some fantastic years healthwise and financially), your kids will be grown or nearly so, and your finances will be able to support all the travel and adventure you can imagine. And retirement in your early sixties will be a real possibility rather than a pipe dream.

So my advice is this - take plenty of time off in the summer and with little vacations throughout the year while you're young and go have some adventures. You don't have to hike through Europe for a year to have some fun! But continue to focus on getting your career in place, and start saving for retirement NOW - even if it's just twenty dollars a week for now.

We get what we focus on.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
My husband has focused intensely on his career since he was 21 years old and it's definitely paid off. He is now 53, his son is 17, and we've already booked a big vacation to Europe for this summer. Believe it or not, life can be really fun even in your forties and fifties!
That will probably be the same for me. My big fun (or at least my expensive fun... like either taking up sailing, or building and racing a classic Mini racecar) is waiting until the mortgage is paid off, which will happen when I'm 48 or so at the pace we're going.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
Egads! Hey, check into seeing if you can attach a line of credit to your checking account - if you do that, you should have NO transfer fees and NO overdraft or NSF fees as long as you have the available credit. At least that's how it plays out at my bank.

Just be sure you pay that LOC off quickly each month or you'll just dig a hole for yourself. :cool:

Oh, that's what I meant by "overdraft". We have a line of credit called "overdraft protection" with a steep interest rate. The line is only $500, though, and I plowed through that because the check I deposited was a tenant's rent check, which I used to pay the mortgage. When I called the bank to beg for mercy, the rep said I really, really should increase the line of credit. I've kept it low because I don't want to be tempted, but that's never been an issue! It's just occasional lapses of memory that have me kicking myself.

Alceste

Vagabond
GeneCosta, you get the best of both worlds as a school teacher. If I have a single regret about my choices, it's that I didn't start teaching in my twenties. I could have done a lot more traveling with summers off. As it was, every time I took a trip I had to quit a job to do it. One or two weeks of holiday time is of no use to anyone. As a teacher, I could have built a career and made the most of my youth and liberty at the same time. Who knows, I may still go that way. My mother started her career as a teacher at roughly my age and absolutely loves her job.

Anyhoo, I apologize for all the advice. Lol. I can't help myself with young adults striking out with their first taste of freedom. It's such an exciting time of life. Never again will you be so full of vitality and curiosity, or so free to define who you are and what you want from life. Never again will you feel perfectly refreshed after sleeping sitting up on an overnight train with no doors crossing some foreign desert.

That's not to say that what comes next - settling down - is not as good, but it's different. There are other people's feelings involved, sometimes kids. It'll go better for all concerned if you're sure you're ready, and you have lots of time to become ready.

Hey Gene,

I'm 22, and at this point in time, I want to fix my life up and settle down before I'm 30, lol.

I really, in the past as a teenager, wanted to find a good man, settle down with him, be a good homemaker and bear his children, but that isn't happening any time soon at this rate, especially when my goal was get married by 21, and children by 23.

With my first ex-boyfriend, I ended up raking so much debt with my credit card and student loan that it has gone to the collection agencies.

I am currently couchsurfing with my friend and praying and hoping to have my own place, preferrably a basement suite, in the next few months.

I am hoping and planning to go back to school in two years and take a trade up. I took schooling years ago in University as a Linguistics major and Philosophy minor, but didn't even continue after the first year... and I also went to school for Early Childhood Education.

I'm thinking auto-mechanic, since my own dad does that, but who knows! I was as flamboyant as they come in high school, and I may end up being a welder or mechanic, LOL.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I just got a job two weeks ago as a gas station attendant, or gas jockey at Chevron! Yey me! It's a tough economy, so after a year of not working, I'm very grateful! So no boyfriend, just started working, high debts, and no place to live... I don't want to experiment and do the whole 'young adult' thing... I just want to settle down and be secure. :D

Foxfire

It's all about the Light
I'm a financial consultant.

If I could give one piece of advice to the younger people here, it is to take care of your debt. It will come back and haunt you. I know because I was there and look what I do for a living! Sometimes, the best teachers are those who have been where you are now. Do not let debt get out of control. Credit cards are deadly. If you have equity in your house, look at taking out that equity, paying off high debt like cc and student loans and with a low mortgage rate, you pay off the loan at a lower rate and you are debt free from bad debt. There is such a thing as good debt and bad debt. Credit cards = bad debt. Mortgage = good debt.

Pay off cc's every month and pay yourself 10% every pay - into retirement savings.

Just some quickie advice...

Last edited:

Foxfire

It's all about the Light
.. My big fun (or at least my expensive fun... like either taking up sailing, or building and racing a classic Mini racecar)

Uh huh, another mini freak, I see? You and my hubby should compare notes. He has had a thing for minis for a very long time. He has a '79 sitting in our garage waiting for a new clutch. He's had a couple before this one, too.

Mind you, he didn't build it. But he loves the classic mini. I can't wait to see the little girl hit the road once again. I can hear the gears now....:yes:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Uh huh, another mini freak, I see?
It's genetic. Before my Dad got married, he had a string of Minis and Vauxhalls. He was even one of the few people to buy an Austin America.

I haven't actually got a Mini of my own yet (because of that whole "paying off the mortgage" thing I mentioned before), but I plan to do it some day. :D

You and my hubby should compare notes. He has had a thing for minis for a very long time. He has a '79 sitting in our garage waiting for a new clutch. He's had a couple before this one, too.

Mind you, he didn't build it. But he loves the classic mini. I can't wait to see the little girl hit the road once again. I can hear the gears now....:yes:
I see you're in Nova Scotia - has he taken it to Targa Newfoundland?

I ended up on the crew for a team of classic Minis there a few years back. It was a blast. :D