• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you do for a living?

MissAlice

I work two jobs.

Full time nurse assistant in an ICU and part time as a dietary assistant. I'm not crazy about my jobs but at least it keeps a roof over my head.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
The poor market here is only part of the problem. Commercial loans differ from residential, which must be self-amortizing.
Commercial loans are periodically renewable, which means that before they're paid off the bank can refuse to renew the loan
& require immediate pay-off. If the property's value falls too far, it could become impossible to get a new loan from anyone,
so they will foreclose. Even if one makes one's payments, one can still lose the property. It doesn't make much sense to me,
but one loan officer told me that the fed is forcing portfolio reductions, so they make some decisions which wouldn't happen
in a free market.
Can I ask where you live?

Dezzie

Yep. My wife is an electrical engineer and brings home the bacon. Of course I relieve her of any house duties and all she has to do is come home relax and get her feet rubbed.:D

Goodness... your wife must be so happy with you. LOL :p

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Oh my gosh, are we going to start swapping BAD CUSTOMER or BAD CLIENT stories? If so, I've got a ton of 'em.

Top bank advice:

1. Don't spend money you don't have. In this day and age, there's simply no way to "float" checks.

2. Don't let vendors autodebit your account. If you must, let them use your debit card, NOT your routing number and account number. You can always cancel a debit card if they get out of hand, but if you've given them your routing number/acct number, you will have to close the entire account.

3. Don't assume that the check you just deposited is immediately available.

4. Don't buy anything from an ad you saw on TV - "But wait - THERE'S MORE!" That's right - more charges every month on your account -and that shipping and handling fee is a real *****.

5. If you don't want overdraft fees - opt out of overdraft coverage. It's your choice. If you don't know whether or not you've got overdraft coverage, call your bank and find out.

6. When there's a three day weekend, the check you deposited after the cutoff time Friday afternoon (usually either 2 or 4 pm) may not be available till TUESDAY. Direct deposit will help you avoid that delay. ANYTIME you deposit a check, ask when the funds will be available. Depending on the type of check and the amount, there could be a hold of up to eleven days.

7. The bank cannot and will not knowingly help you avoid paying a debt or bill that you owe.

8. Running a tab can get you in trouble - especially for a large group. It places a hold on funds in your account, and that hold may not fall off for a day or two, even after you've paid the tab.

9. Your online balance or the balance you see on an ATM machine is not "the gospel truth." The bank has no way of knowing whether or not every charge you've made or every check you've written has been processed yet by the vendor. WRITE YOUR TRANSACTIONS DOWN.

10. The bank DOES make mistakes occasionally, but that mistake will almost certainly get caught within one business day, due to all the checks and balances in place. Ninety nine percent of mistakes I see are by customers, not the bank. So before you storm into the bank to raise hell, take a deep breath and calm down.

A large part of my job consists of listening to someone rant, and then dissecting the issue and basically showing them their own mistake. The trick is to allow them to keep their dignity in the process - a talent that I have mastered pretty well.

What I love about my job - LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT - is being able to help people not only understand banking better, but being able to give them the tools they need to take control of their own finances. I enjoy helping people move from "victim" to "victor." I enjoy helping them attain personal goals, and I love being their personal banker - a warm, supportive presence in an institution that often intimidates people.

I get just as much satisfaction working with people who have small accounts as those who have large ones. It's very gratifying to me to be able to show the small account holder that we value them and really want to help them succeed financially.

My favorite people to work with are young, new banking customers. I love being able to explain things and get them started on the right track.

Knowledge is power! And I love empowering people.

But they have to want to be empowered.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Goodness... your wife must be so happy with you. LOL :p
My wife is the envy of her friends. She gets asked all the time if I can be "borrowed" for a week.
To be honest, I really enjoy staying at home right now and the cooking, cleaning (which I like to do anyway and did even though I was working full time), laundry, yard work, etc. is really not that hard as long as you're organized. It baffles me when I hear a stay at home mom say she has no time.
I still have time to do all of those, work out 2 hours a day, and still instruct 30 min-60 min a day, and still have time to catch up on my TIVOED shows.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Oh my gosh, are we going to start swapping BAD CUSTOMER or BAD CLIENT stories? If so, I've got a ton of 'em.

Top bank advice:

1. Don't spend money you don't have. In this day and age, there's simply no way to "float" checks.

2. Don't let vendors autodebit your account. If you must, let them use your debit card, NOT your routing number and account number. You can always cancel a debit card if they get out of hand, but if you've given them your routing number/acct number, you will have to close the entire account.

4. Don't buy anything from an ad you saw on TV - "But wait - THERE'S MORE!" That's right - more charges every month on your account -and that shipping and handling fee is a real *****.

5. If you don't want overdraft fees - opt out of overdraft coverage. It's your choice. If you don't know whether or not you've got overdraft coverage, call your bank and find out.

6. When there's a three day weekend, the check you deposited after the cutoff time Friday afternoon (usually either 2 or 4 pm) may not be available till TUESDAY. Direct deposit will help you avoid that delay. ANYTIME you deposit a check, ask when the funds will be available. Depending on the type of check and the amount, there could be a hold of up to eleven days.

7. The bank cannot and will not knowingly help you avoid paying a debt or bill that you owe.

8. Running a tab can get you in trouble - especially for a large group. It places a hold on funds in your account, and that hold may not fall off for a day or two, even after you've paid the tab.

9. Your online balance or the balance you see on an ATM machine is not "the gospel truth." The bank has no way of knowing whether or not every charge you've made or every check you've written has been processed yet by the vendor. WRITE YOUR TRANSACTIONS DOWN.

10. The bank DOES make mistakes occasionally, but that mistake will almost certainly get caught within one business day, due to all the checks and balances in place. Ninety nine percent of mistakes I see are by customers, not the bank. So before you storm into the bank to raise hell, take a deep breath and calm down.

A large part of my job consists of listening to someone rant, and then dissecting the issue and basically showing them their own mistake. The trick is to allow them to keep their dignity in the process - a talent that I have mastered pretty well.

What I love about my job - LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT - is being able to help people not only understand banking better, but being able to give them the tools they need to take control of their own finances. I enjoy helping people move from "victim" to "victor." I enjoy helping them attain personal goals, and I love being their personal banker - a warm, supportive presence in an institution that often intimidates people.

I get just as much satisfaction working with people who have small accounts as those who have large ones. It's very gratifying to me to be able to show the small account holder that we value them and really want to help them succeed financially.

My favorite people to work with are young, new banking customers. I love being able to explain things and get them started on the right track.

How can I get free checking if the job I have doesn't have direct deposit? I pay a fee each month on my checking account.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight

Top bank advice:

Thanks! Excellent advice!

Arrgh, a few weeks ago I forgot about deposited checks not being available for withdrawal right away. After using the amount of overdraft protection available, I incurred NSF fees. Fun day!

Songbird

My wife is the envy of her friends. She gets asked all the time if I can be "borrowed" for a week.
To be honest, I really enjoy staying at home right now and the cooking, cleaning (which I like to do anyway and did even though I was working full time), laundry, yard work, etc. is really not that hard as long as you're organized. It baffles me when I hear a stay at home mom say she has no time.
I still have time to do all of those, work out 2 hours a day, and still instruct 30 min-60 min a day, and still have time to catch up on my TIVOED shows.

The key there is mom - I'm guessing you don't have small kids? I thought I gleaned that from another post, but maybe not. Though I have plenty of time to clean and cook and have free time, kids constantly distract and unmotivate me, as well as undo what I've done. When my kids were in daycare and I worked from home, I had loads of time to clean - and the house stayed clean!! I can't even emphasize how huge the difference is. The mess and work small kids make turns housecleaning into a project ten times the normal size. And being distracted is huge, too. It's great to plan on having an hour to clean, but kids don't always follow your plan, no matter how organized you are. :D

ninerbuff

godless wonder
The key there is mom - I'm guessing you don't have small kids? I thought I gleaned that from another post, but maybe not. Though I have plenty of time to clean and cook and have free time, kids constantly distract and unmotivate me, as well as undo what I've done. When my kids were in daycare and I worked from home, I had loads of time to clean - and the house stayed clean!! I can't even emphasize how huge the difference is. The mess and work small kids make turns housecleaning into a project ten times the normal size. And being distracted is huge, too. It's great to plan on having an hour to clean, but kids don't always follow your plan, no matter how organized you are. :D
I have a 6 year old daughter and am block dad. At least every other day there's a play
date at the house. There are of course rules, and one of them is to confine the "mess" to just one room. The other is before you can play with one thing, the other has to be put away. My daughter is very organized too, but not because I force her to do it. I guess she picked it up by watching me clean up often.
Like my own workouts, upkeep of the house and other stuff is consistent. Maybe that's why I hardly get sick (been over 2 years now), my body and mind being used to the consistency.

Songbird

I have a 6 year old daughter and am block dad. At least every other day there's a play
date at the house. There are of course rules, and one of them is to confine the "mess" to just one room. The other is before you can play with one thing, the other has to be put away. My daughter is very organized too, but not because I force her to do it. I guess she picked it up by watching me clean up often.
Like my own workouts, upkeep of the house and other stuff is consistent. Maybe that's why I hardly get sick (been over 2 years now), my body and mind being used to the consistency.

Must be a difference in personalities? I tend to think I have plenty of time, but I have low expectations.