• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are your beliefs?

allfoak

Alchemist
Religion is the birthright of man.
Religion is connecting with source.
Our source is the Christ within.

This is a right that cannot be taken away because it needs nothing but ourselves to exercise it.
This is why it has as many expressions as there are people.
There is no right or wrong way to do it.
This is determined by what is best for each one.
Source can be found in all things since it is in all things.

Religion is a personal matter.
How we express it is how we live our life.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
If you are an Atheist I'm interested in your beliefs about how we got here. Also, if you have beliefs not related to spirituality you'd like to share, those are welcome

I have no idea how we got here, really.
In terms of other beliefs, I think the Boston Celtics are a mobile, agressive rebounding big away from scaring anybody in the playoffs.

David T

Premium Member
Magic! That part where construction workers are working intensely focused on a topic and the crowd goes silent and then the conversation starts back up. If any acknowlegement Takes place it's with any number of pre literate sounds that don't exist in the dictionary but everyone understands them....and if you don't understand what I wrote it's because it's magic!!

Daemon Sophic

I have been agnostic for over 30 years now, and although atheism is the strongest, most well researched philosophy, I will continue to withhold judgement till I am personally omniscient (don't hold your breath).

- I believe that humanity is the only hope for humanity, and that our role in life is to make the world a better place for future generations to live in than how we found it.

- I believe that almost nobody considers themself to be evil. Most all people are well intentioned, but most are ignorant sheep. (but I think/hope that this can be changed).

- I believe that democracy is the only form of government that can keep civilization alive through millenia to come.....but I know that without an intelligent, rational, and well informed voting populous (informed with reality, as opposed to "alternative facts"), that democracy will collapse.

- While good manners are always required, respect must be earned. It can never be demanded, and is never to be given based on arbitrary things like age, or rank, sex, or skin color.....

- While I believe in giving mercy it's due, I also believe that it must be set aside at times.

- I believe that hot cocoa should be made with soymilk, not water. And that it's hardly worth the effort if you don't have mini-marshmellows to put in it.

- that sunsets are prettier than sunrises, but you feel better watching a sunrise.

- and I believe in long, slow, deep, soft, wet kisses that last three days.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I believe there is no heaven or hell, just life or death. God created humans for life on earth and the earth for humans to take care of.

God loves those who love him and will take the time and patience to get to know him. He tells us all about himself in the Bible, but not many people have really read it without the blinkers put on them by the churches. God and his son are two completely separate entities with one humbly subservient to the other. Only the Father is God Almighty.

He requires obedience and faith but provides all that is necessary to build them. He will not build them for us....just like he did not build the ark for Noah. He rewards personal effort.

He promises a "new heavens and a new earth where righteousness is to dwell" (2 Peter 3:13) but these are not literal. The "new heavens" represent rulership since man was supposed to be ruled by God from the beginning....so we will have a new rulership for this earth with Jesus as king which will guarantee peace and security for all of earth's inhabitants..for all time to come.

And the "new earth" is not a new planet, but a new society of people who will all serve and love the true God for who he is and what he has done to guarantee a wonderful future for all obedient ones. Like parents who surrenders their child into the hands of a skillful surgeon to save their lives, knowing that the operation will be initially painful, but so worth it in the long term.

We will get back what Adam and Eve lost.....Everlasting life in paradise conditions on earth sound pretty good to me!
springsmile.gif

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Beliefs you cherish or are passionate about that have something to do with spirituality or religion
I believe many religious movements are peace movements. I have read the Torah in English, and I think it is evidence that ideas about protection for workers, rights, peace and self determination are ancient ideas that have for millennia been working their way into general consciousness. The world really has been getting better, and that's important to me. Its been getting better, not by accident but through the efforts of dedicated peaceful people. When I was young I thought peace movements were a joke, but I don't now.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
A couple passing thoughts...
  • Both sciences and arts speak of the interconnected nature of the reality we find ourselves in. Bearing this in mind is of great importance to this one's path. Nothing occurs in isolation; reality is a grand, complex Weave of causes and effects.
  • Both sciences and arts illuminate the marvelous splendor of the Weave. Through that, this one feels all things have equal intrinsic value and are sacred or holy. All things are gods, or worthy of worship, dignity, respect, praise, wonderment.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
As one can see in my signature statement below, I really have no significant theological beliefs, much preferring to rely on objectively-derived evidence, which is pretty much lacking on this topic.

If I have a theological "drift", it's more along the line of Spinoza and Einstein who took a more pantheistic/panentheistic/deistic approach that is actually more compatible with Hinduism than it is with the Abrahamic religions.

However, I have a ph.d. in I-don't-know-ism.

allfoak

Alchemist
We each have an immortal soul that is perfected over many lifetimes.

I strongly believe that, too.

The parable of the prodigal son is about each individual.
The one who left is the soul, the one who stayed behind with the Father is the spirit.
The far country is the world and the riotous living is the description of the exploration of the soul through the use of many bodies.
This is a learning process not a life of sin.
There was no fall, the younger son was given the blessing of the father when he left and greeted him with a feast when he returned.

Lirille

The parable of the prodigal son is about each individual.
The one who left is the soul, the one who stayed behind with the Father is the spirit.
The far country is the world and the riotous living is the description of the exploration of the soul through the use of many bodies.
This is a learning process not a life of sin.
There was no fall, the younger son was given the blessing of the father when he left and greeted him with a feast when he returned.
Interesting take! :)

Abrahamic religions are not really my area, but I can't deny there's a lot to be learned from the Gospels.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
A few tidbits to mull...

As a strong atheist I believe:

1. In a non-standard form of afterlife (No gods, no devils, no angels etc... just being...)
2. I utterly reject the idea of Karma due to erroneous assumptions about time
3. God is an idea
4. The Multiverse is the closest thing to reality we have envisioned to date.
5. Good and evil are value judgments
6. Morality is much more subjective than people imagine

turbopro

>> If you are an Atheist I'm interested in your beliefs about how we got here.

I'm not sure, but I give little or no sway to spiritual/religious claims--whatever spiritual/religious means. Nontheless, based on the current understandings--via the scientific method--we have come to, it looks like we homo sapiens are descendants of a great ape species a few million years ago.

>> Also, if you have beliefs not related to spirituality you'd like to share, those are welcome.

I believe we should live and let live, and the golden rule.

MonkeyFire

I believe by nature. The will of the all mighty is pacifism. Knowledge is safe, and perfect, and entirely willful. He, and Virtue were once thought to be rebel angels to the human race, but it's just an urban legend. Truly, Lucifer were the angel of omniscience, he existed forever before and satan begat on a dime, who were evil from his onstart, effecting Existence only after a while.

Belief is for life and creates hope, and eternity. Faith as a nature is the only way to make love.

The messiah is Pacifism. He send dis-belief to naught. He creates safety out of wisdom, and happiness out of non-transgression.