• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are your beliefs?

peter22

I'm curious what some of your beliefs are if you don't mind sharing a few that come to mind. :)

That's really the million dollar question for me right now. Nominally I'm Catholic but I've been going through something of a spiritual meltdown recently and am somewhere between questioning and outright denying many Catholic doctrines, including in particular the Papacy.

I am absolutely convinced in the existence of a singular God who has a plan for humanity. Beyond that, I don't know what to believe these days.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
-With a numinous passion, I seek out strength, power, wisdom, and beauty in any religions I want, through any means necessary.

-With a numinous passion, I revere nature and human Nature. I explore, experience, and learn as much as I can about these things; I am mindful of ways I might broaden my understanding of them.

-With a numinous passion, I celebrate the Solstices and the Equinoxes, and their midpoints; I am mindful of why many have celebrated them in the past and why I celebrate them now. I respect the earth's cycles, and allow them to enhance my spiritual-religious culture.

-I am mindful of my Weltanschauung and True Will; I am not too open to change, but I am not so against it either.

-I do not obsess over creation myths and potential afterlife scenarios... but I am mindful of esoteric insights hidden within those ideas as well as other aspects of various mythologies and their holy scriptures and culture.

-I may select, syncretize, or create various personal gods that most reflect my most prominent attributes (or most favored or desired attributes). I allow them to inspire and motivate me, making known my ever-present potential choices and options in Life. I develop my own spiritual-religious culture and rituals involving these gods. They accompany me in my odyssey, and I accompany them in theirs. I honor these gods, respect them, and allow them to enhance my thoughts, experiences. and abilities. I am mindful of the potential strength, power, wisdom and beauty that can be found in and through them, and I am mindful of the things I might do for them in return.

-I worship YHVH as the highest and greatest God. I respect the prophets of God(s), and I consider their words and ideas... but above all else, I am my own prophet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
If you are an Atheist I'm interested in your beliefs about how we got here. Also, if you have beliefs not related to spirituality you'd like to share, those are welcome

Lirille

I believe the key to happiness is compassion - toward others and yourself.
I believe everything that exists is part of a single Unity, and that all beings should be respected and cherished.
I believe in karma, and that we create our own reality.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Interesting thread!

I have few beliefs as such.

You could say that I believe in the power of kindness & unconditional compassion for your peace of mind.

I believe in karma - not in terms of whether it leads 2 a better re-birth but simply if you fill your mind with positive and kind thoughts then you will enjoy your experience and the opposite is true if you fill yourself with angry & judgemental thoughts.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I believe the key to happiness is compassion - toward others and yourself.
I believe everything that exists is part of a single unity, and that all beings should be respected and cherished.
I believe in karma, and that we create our own reality.

Looks like we both posted at around the same time!

Well said ...

Makes my post almost redundant :)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Great topic.

I typically don't refer to my view of the Divine as God in private, but for the sake of understanding, I have referred to It as such in other threads in the forum and will do so here.
  • God is not transcendent, but immanent.
  • Matter is the physical manifestation of God.
  • Spirit is the ethereal manifestation of God.
  • Every form of matter contains a Spirit.
  • Spirit is the part of matter that contains character, emotion, intuition, etc.
  • Spirit is neither created nor destroyed (like matter in the Law of Conservation of Mass).
  • Mankind is a part of nature, not apart from nature.
  • There is much esoteric knowledge that has yet to be revealed to mankind as a whole or to me personally.
These are my personal beliefs and are in no way being presented here as Universal Truths, so they are not subject to debate, though I have no problem discussing them or elaborating on them. However, my beliefs will ever remain flexible to accommodate new Laws, Scientific Theories, and understandings, as I believe this is a necessary component for Spiritual growth.

ETA: I also believe that many world religions have a piece of the Truth, but none has the whole Truth. Some have more than others (typically the ones whose beliefs adapt to scientific discovery).

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
If you are an Atheist I'm interested in your beliefs about how we got here. Also, if you have beliefs not related to spirituality you'd like to share, those are welcome

How I got here? I surfed the web for an interesting religious forum and I signed up for an account.

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
l can appreciate the sarcasm :). Why do you think humans exist?

I don't think "why" questions are always applicable. They are so question begging.

Why is that mountain, I am watching now, here in Switzerland and not in New Jersey? What do you think? Is there a deep reason?

Ciao

- viole

Spiderman

Veteran Member
-With a numinous passion, I seek out strength, power, wisdom, and beauty in any religions I want, through any means necessary.

-With a numinous passion, I revere nature and human Nature. I explore, experience, and learn as much as I can about these things; I am mindful of ways I might broaden my understanding of them.

-With a numinous passion, I celebrate the Solstices and the Equinoxes, and their midpoints; I am mindful of why many have celebrated them in the past and why I celebrate them now. I respect the earth's cycles, and allow them to enhance my spiritual-religious culture.

-I am mindful of my Weltanschauung and True Will; I am not too open to change, but I am not so against it either.

-I do not obsess over creation myths and potential afterlife scenarios... but I am mindful of esoteric insights hidden within those ideas as well as other aspects of various mythologies and their holy scriptures and culture.

-I may select, syncretize, or create various personal gods that most reflect my most prominent attributes (or most favored or desired attributes). I allow them to inspire and motivate me, making known my ever-present potential choices and options in Life. I develop my own spiritual-religious culture and rituals involving these gods. They accompany me in my odyssey, and I accompany them in theirs. I honor these gods, respect them, and allow them to enhance my thoughts, experiences. and abilities. I am mindful of the potential strength, power, wisdom and beauty that can be found in and through them, and I am mindful of the things I might do for them in return.

-I worship YHVH as the highest and greatest God. I respect the prophets of God(s), and I consider their words and ideas... but above all else, I am my own prophet.

Beautiful post! :)
I've always admired that about you that although you are polytheistic, you defend Yahweh when I attack him.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I don't think "why" questions are always applicable. They are so question begging.

Why is that mountain, I am watching now, here in Switzerland and not in New Jersey? What do you think? Is there a deep reason?

Ciao

- viole
I just figured you had an opinion about why and how earth and humans came to exist. *shrug*

Oh yeah, you moved from Sweden. Do you like Switzerland?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I just figured you had an opinion about why and how earth and humans came to exist. *shrug*

I can give you an opinion about the how. We are here because a meteorite inflicted the coup de grace to some big reptiles, allowing thereby some tiny rats looking like critters to leave their stinking hole to eventually evolve into great apes.

Oh yeah, you moved from Sweden. Do you like Switzerland?

Well, I guess I should, since I am Swiss as well.

Ciao

- viole

rusra02

Premium Member
I'm curious what some of your beliefs are if you don't mind sharing a few that come to mind. :)

I believe Jehovah is the only true God and Jesus Christ is his Son. (John 17:3, Psalm 83:18)
I also believe we are living in the last days of this system of things, with it's corrupt commercial systems, ineffective governments, and numerous false religions. (2 Timothy 3:1-5)
I believe that God's kingdom, with Jesus Christ as king, will soon remove the wicked and rule the earth, finally bringing peace and everlasting life to obedient mankind. (Daniel 2:44, 2 Peter 3:13)
Of course, these are only a few of many important Bible teachings I believe.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I can give you an opinion about the how. We are here because a meteorite inflicted the coup de grace to some big reptiles, allowing thereby some tiny rats looking like critters to leave their stinking hole to eventually evolve into great apes.

Well, I guess I should, since I am Swiss as well.

Ciao

- viole
Glad you like peaceful Switzerland. :)

I wonder where the reptiles and meteor came from, but I guess that isn't any of my business.