• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Muhammad Peaceful? (Respectful Answers Only Please)

Was Muhammad a man of Peace?

• Total voters

Wombat

Any way, if we want to judge Muhammad we should judge him According to his period of history.

Hmmm...yea...and (as TJ73 pointed out) we should judge according to what preceded his period of history, what occurred during his period in history and what followed his period in history.

From a culture that considered female children to be worth less than a camel and often had them buried alive in sand to a civilization that implemented the first inheritance rights for females and inspired Christendom to follow suit.

Huge achievement.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
From a biased (non Muslim) observer:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Just wanted to throw into the mix...
We in the West remind me of smug, comfortable, well educated and well off metropolitan descendents of dirt poor farming stock who slaved and sacrificed to get us where we are today...and we neither know nor care that we stand on the shoulders of their efforts.

Enjoying Democracy? Thank Islam/Moslems for preserving almost everything we know about our Western/Greek democratic origins and philosophical heritage.

Been to University or enjoy the fruits thereof? Thank Islam/Moslems for providing the material (above) that necessitated the establishment of the first Universities.
It took a hundred years to translate the bulk of what we inherited and we are still working on it.

Had a nice Renaissance? Enjoying melodic music? Eating 'courses' with table manners? Hows your Math, Medicine and Astronomy going?
Ever pause to say thanks to the bloke called 'Al' who gave you Algebra?
Ever paused to consider what you couldn't do and wouldn't have without it?

Islam (with or without God) is a vital aspect of Human Herritage and Human Family achievement....failing to recognise that diminishes us all.

Does any of this mean Muhammed was peaceful?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Does any of this mean Muhammed was peaceful?
Good question.

That also makes me ask, how is this a credit to Islam? All it shows is that, like all people, Muslims do good and useful things, too.

That's not the religion, though, any more than Hellenic polytheism gave us etymology. :shrug:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
From a culture that considered female children to be worth less than a camel and often had them buried alive in sand
I'm curious: is there any evidence of this actually happening? Any historical references?

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Good question.

That also makes me ask, how is this a credit to Islam? All it shows is that, like all people, Muslims do good and useful things, too.

That's not the religion, though, any more than Hellenic polytheism gave us etymology. :shrug:

Exactly,its not the religion its people

Wombat

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
"A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them." matthew 7:18 ;)
relevance?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
"A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit.http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/#cr-descriptionAnchor-1 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/#cr-descriptionAnchor-2 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them." matthew 7:18 ;)
That's very pretty [it's not something I believe], but how is it something we should thank Islam for?

If we go around thanking ideologies for what people do, then we should thank Hellenic polytheism for etymology as stated. Although this is a bit of an extreme example, I highly doubt anyone would think we should also thank the Nazis for helping us get to the moon, for example. Right? [ BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Project Paperclip: Dark side of the Moon ]

TJ73

I do think it is relevant to consider what "peace" is so you can guage if someone is full if "peace".
Definition of PEACE

: a state of tranquillity or quiet: as a : freedom from civil disturbance b : a state of security or order within a community provided for by law or custom <a breach of the peace>

: freedom from disquieting or oppressive thoughts or emotions

: harmony in personal relations

a : a state or period of mutual concord between governments b : a pact or agreement to end hostilities between those who have been at war or in a state of enmity

—used interjectionally to ask for silence or calm or as a greeting or farewell

— at peace : in a state of concord or tranquillity

So I have no problem saying that although NONE of the prophets of God ( through the line of Abraham) lived in peace, they came to give the way to peace. Had there been peace there would have been no need for any prophet with any message. As a believer I think God created us and a means for us to live in peace. His prophets came with the message of attaining it, each for his own generation and the ever expanding human family.
So there was, and continues to be, no peace but Muhammed pbhu, certainly provided a means to attain it. Yes he certainly had to advise us on the ways to handle conflict because that is what stands in the way of peace. So He was full of peace. He advised us how to attain it and how to handle living in a world where it has never existed.

chinu

chinu
I do think it is relevant to consider what "peace" is so you can guage if someone is full if "peace".
Definition of PEACE

: a state of tranquillity or quiet: as a : freedom from civil disturbance b : a state of security or order within a community provided for by law or custom <a breach of the peace>

: freedom from disquieting or oppressive thoughts or emotions

: harmony in personal relations

a : a state or period of mutual concord between governments b : a pact or agreement to end hostilities between those who have been at war or in a state of enmity

—used interjectionally to ask for silence or calm or as a greeting or farewell

— at peace : in a state of concord or tranquillity

So I have no problem saying that although NONE of the prophets of God ( through the line of Abraham) lived in peace, they came to give the way to peace. Had there been peace there would have been no need for any prophet with any message. As a believer I think God created us and a means for us to live in peace. His prophets came with the message of attaining it, each for his own generation and the ever expanding human family.
So there was, and continues to be, no peace but Muhammed pbhu, certainly provided a means to attain it. Yes he certainly had to advise us on the ways to handle conflict because that is what stands in the way of peace. So He was full of peace. He advised us how to attain it and how to handle living in a world where it has never existed.

I am agreed.

_/\_Chinu.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
my 2 cents is that while he preached 'peace' to a certain degree, he was still willing to go to war to attain it.

The only way to truly be peaceful is for every individual to reject war and hostility. Muhammad, while he had good intentions of improving a barbaric society, he was still willing to take up arms against those he viewed as enemies and for that reason he wasnt truly peaceful. Anyone willing to go to war is not really peaceful...even those with the best intentions.

Ghandi won independence from a foreign sovereignty by using peace as his weapon.

"One who enters into no dispute with his neighbor, he neither attacks nor uses violence. On the contrary, he suffers himself without resistance and by his attitude towards evil not only sets himself free but helps to free the world at large from all outward authority."

Peace is a force in itself and I dont think Muhammad knew how to wield its sword.

TJ73

my 2 cents is that while he preached 'peace' to a certain degree, he was still willing to go to war to attain it.

The only way to truly be peaceful is for every individual to reject war and hostility. Muhammad, while he had good intentions of improving a barbaric society, he was still willing to take up arms against those he viewed as enemies and for that reason he wasnt truly peaceful. Anyone willing to go to war is not really peaceful...even those with the best intentions.

Ghandi won independence from a foreign sovereignty by using peace as his weapon.

"One who enters into no dispute with his neighbor, he neither attacks nor uses violence. On the contrary, he suffers himself without resistance and by his attitude towards evil not only sets himself free but helps to free the world at large from all outward authority."

Peace is a force in itself and I dont think Muhammad knew how to wield its sword.

Funny you mention Ghandi, a staunch racist. You have to remember some that you find "peaceful" are not so full of peace. Ghandi never intended to live harmoniously as he had a deep seated hatred of the low caste Indians and africans that he claimed were just a step above animals.
Peace is not a force. It is a state. A state we insist on avoiding. You say he was willing to take up arms against those he viewed as enemies... Only as long as they proved themselves to be enemies and not after they stopped. If you raise your family to be peacful, good citizens, dealing justly with others and people came along and fought them for it and refused to allow them to go to school and told them to stop or they would be continually harmed I would suggest you learn how to fight back against them until they relent if you can.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Funny you mention Ghandi, a staunch racist. You have to remember some that you find "peaceful" are not so full of peace. Ghandi never intended to live harmoniously as he had a deep seated hatred of the low caste Indians and africans that he claimed were just a step above animals.

this is why i earlier asked for a definition of peaceful... it means different things to different people.
My view of peaceful is one who does not fight...even when under attack.

peace of mind is another thing...if he had issues with some nationalities then thats a whole different thing in my opinion.

Peace is not a force. It is a state. A state we insist on avoiding. You say he was willing to take up arms against those he viewed as enemies... Only as long as they proved themselves to be enemies and not after they stopped.
so really Muhammads peace with others was conditional...so long as they agreed with him and obeyed him, he remained at peace with them

How much more powerful would his words be if he actually remained at peace with those who were against him. Its easy to retaliate because its a human trait to do so, but to raise above the pettiness of human traits is so much more powerful.

If you raise your family to be peaceful, good citizens, dealing justly with others and people came along and fought them for it and refused to allow them to go to school and told them to stop or they would be continually harmed I would suggest you learn how to fight back against them until they relent if you can.

And therein lies the problem... we take matters into our own hands because we are not at true peace with our neighbors. True peace would make us completely neutral when it came to retaliation. To be willing to retaliate means that our peace is only temporary and conditional... to be truly peaceful, we must BE peace under all circumstances.

Jesus was truly peaceful because he did not retaliate when he was being attacked and he taught his followers to do the same.

I can vote now that Muhammad was peaceful to a point, but like most of us, not truly peaceful.

Last edited:

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
He was as peaceful as you could expect, given his time, culture and circumstance.

He wasn't perfect, but he wasn't a monster either.

wa:do

Christian Gnosis

I don't think Muhammad was peaceful at all, given how he orders his followers to treat Pagans, and he also talks about Jews and Christians in degrading ways. He says the Jews are apes, and the Christians are pigs.

A-ManESL

I don't think Muhammad was peaceful at all, given how he orders his followers to treat Pagans, and he also talks about Jews and Christians in degrading ways. He says the Jews are apes, and the Christians are pigs.

You are mistaken and are taking things in the Quran out of context. I suspect very much you have just read this from a biased anti-Muslim site or book. Regarding Jews he said that the Jewish tribes were "one community with the believers," but they "have their religion and the Muslims have theirs". (Jonathan Berkey, The Formation of Islam: Religion and Society in the Near East, 600-1800, Cambridge University Press, p.64). Regarding Christians, he also remained very cordial, even sending this letter to the monks of Mt Sinai.

Those who believe and those who are Jews, Christians and Sabeans,[in fact] anyone who believes in God and the Last Day, and acts honorably will receive their earnings from their Lord: no fear will lieupon them nor need they feel saddened.-Quran 2:62

[But] they are not all alike: among the followers of earlier revelation there are upright people, who recite God's messages throughout the night, and prostrate themselves [before Him]. They believe in God and the Last Day, and enjoin the doing of what is right and forbid the doing of what is wrong, and vie with one another in doing good works: and these are among the righteous.-Quran 3:113-114

Nonetheless, those who believe in- the prophets who dated for back in the past and those who profess Judaism and the various sects of the Sabeites and of the Sabaeans and the Christians and those who fall in line with the prophet Muhammad; whoever believes in Allah, and acknowledges the truth of Resurrection and Judgement and imprints his deeds with wisdom and piety, shall Heaven reward them for their homage thereto, and no fear nor dread shall fall upon them nor shall they come to grief.-Quran 5:69
Regards