• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UK - Police will enter homes and break up Christmas dinners

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
To both @Revoltingest and @Saint Frankenstein, please try to understand me....

Governmental power will not get us through the epidemic. People get around that poop all the time. And it is not about NOT being around people, it is about when you ARE around people, do it in a way that protects them -- and you. This is not actually hard! It is, in fact, as a Canadian doing it every day, a pretty trivial matter: don't shake hands, bump (sleeved) elbows; talk from a few feet away, without shouting (and thus blowing your breath everywhere); when you get close, wear a mask; when you pay your bar bill using an Interac machine, get your hand sanitizer out of your purse, backpack or pocket, and use it.

It's amazing how much fun you can still actually have with people -- you just don't have to be in their laps, licking their fingers (or anything else).

Just be wise --- and therefore safe. And that's good for all of us.
I was just asking a serious question because some are saying that people shouldn't have guests at their homes who don't live there. So I wonder where that leaves people who live alone. Are we just supposed to rot in isolation?

I know the drill about keeping safe. I work full time in retail. I'm not one of those people who can stay home.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
To both @Revoltingest and @Saint Frankenstein, please try to understand me....

Governmental power will not get us through the epidemic. People get around that poop all the time. And it is not about NOT being around people, it is about when you ARE around people, do it in a way that protects them -- and you. This is not actually hard! It is, in fact, as a Canadian doing it every day, a pretty trivial matter: don't shake hands, bump (sleeved) elbows; talk from a few feet away, without shouting (and thus blowing your breath everywhere); when you get close, wear a mask; when you pay your bar bill using an Interac machine, get your hand sanitizer out of your purse, backpack or pocket, and use it.

It's amazing how much fun you can still actually have with people -- you just don't have to be in their laps, licking their fingers (or anything else, however much fun that is).

Just be wise --- and therefore safe. And that's good for all of us.
Do you have the impression that I don't care about safety?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I was just asking a serious question because some are saying that people shouldn't have guests at their homes who don't live there. So I wonder where that leaves people who live alone. Are we just supposed to rot in isolation?

I know the drill about keeping safe. I work full time in retail. I'm not one of those people who can stay home.
Actually, I was out tonight, on a bar patio -- with heaters -- and had quite pleasant conversations with people around me. We just never got close. Yet we enjoyed one another's company.

How hard is that?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Do you have the impression that I don't care about safety?
Not at all. i have respect for your political views, and your moral views.

I'm just trying to tell you that even a liberal like me doesn't think government is going to solve this thing. We, "the people," are going to resolve it together, or we're not going to.

All we have to do is figure out which option is preferable.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Actually, I was out tonight, on a bar patio -- with heaters -- and had quite pleasant conversations with people around me. We just never got close. Yet we enjoyed one another's company.

How hard is that?
I don't go to bars. Costs too much when I can drink for less at home. I take the bus and work full time at a gas station. I only have one friend I hang out with here, either at my apartment or theirs.

I don't think the people coming up with these restrictions considered single adults who live alone, work full time and take public transportation. This pandemic hasn't effected my routine. I still have to do the same stuff as before.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
British humour...

Qk8zoDs2_o.jpg

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Firearms-Control Legislation and Policy: Great Britain | Law Library of Congress

The latest in 1997 with the confiscation of large caliber pistols from private citizens.

Ah yes..... I remember.
Thomas Hamilton walked in to an infants school (Dunblane) and shot dead many toddlers, their teachers, and wounded many others. Private Pistol ownership was banned in Great Britain (Not Northern Ireland) from then on.

Guess what? No school mass shootings have occurred since that incident, well over 20 years ago..... Now in the USA...........

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Its been going on over the span of decades with incrementally more restrictions being placed than before. Its like the proverbial slow boiling a frog to death without it not even realizing it until one day its too late.

Too late?
The Hungerford Massacre was enough for us to decide that assault weapons in private ownership were totally unnecessary.

The Dunblane Massacre convinced us that we really didn't need privately own pistols.

We don't get a mass killing every fortnight like some other countries. We're free to go shopping, or to school, or work without needing to lock 'n' load.

But anybody here can own a rifle or shotgun if they have a (legal) use for it.

You should try it...... :)

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
...and it has to be licensed and kept under lock and key so that children can't access it or be used on the spur of the moment.
Which tends to avoid little children getting hold of a weapon and killing a sibling, themselves, or a parent, because someone was stupid enough to allow them access to such, by accident or stupidity - but which happens quite often in the USA unfortunately.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
...and it has to be licensed and kept under lock and key so that children can't access it or be used on the spur of the moment.
Absolutely.
And our criminal record reviews, home security checks, mandatory home safe, limited use on licence details, etc etc

Some folks on here are criticising Brit Freedoms, as if our police wear jack-boots, but our police don't shoot fourteen shots at a man in hysteria holding a knife, hitting him ten times and killing him, and causing mayhem, with curfews in cities now guarded by military patrols.......

We will just have to have quiet Xmas celebrations here, is all, because by Christmas our whole land is going to be experiencing a covid plague, I'm sad to say. Idiots spreading covid further won't help us.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Which tends to avoid little children getting hold of a weapon and killing a sibling, themselves, or a parent, because someone was stupid enough to allow them access to such, by accident or stupidity - but which happens quite often in the USA unfortunately.
That takes care of your guns. Now what's going to be done about all those deadly spoons out there?

'The UK has gone mad': Cops show knives they collected so they 'don't get into the wrong hands' — along with a spoon

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
That takes care of your guns. Now what's going to be done about all those deadly spoons out there?

'The UK has gone mad': Cops show knives they collected so they 'don't get into the wrong hands' — along with a spoon

I suppose people will always use what is available, but knives generally do have a strict purpose other than for killing humans. In the UK now it is just about possible to carry a smallish folding knife (like a Victorinox, which I used to take when mountaineering and such), but anything that has the blade locking into place, even if only 4cm long, is banned to carry, Even multi-tools come under suspicion, because usually they do have locking blades. :oops:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Ah yes....... knives and spoons.
Now if you enter something like 'Brit police face knife' or something like that in to Google you'll notice that in nearly all the videos the Brit police try to contain a hysterical or dangerous person without pumping 10 bullets in to him. They will retreat from a lunge or attack and then return..... until a cop can arrive with a tazer etc.

The only exceptions are where a knife maniac is wearing a bomb vest.

Now in the USA...... 14 shots and ten hits!!! Don't ask me where the other four bullets went.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I suppose people will always use what is available, but knives generally do have a strict purpose other than for killing humans. In the UK now it is just about possible to carry a smallish folding knife (like a Victorinox, which I used to take when mountaineering and such), but anything that has the blade locking into place, even if only 4cm long, is banned to carry, Even multi-tools come under suspicion, because usually they do have locking blades. :oops:
Meanwhile I can have an assault rifle but not a stiletto switchblade (which I've always wanted) as you can get in trouble if police catch you with one. Brass knuckles may be illegal, too.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Meanwhile I can have an assault rifle but not a stiletto switchblade (which I've always wanted) as you can get in trouble if police catch you with one. Brass knuckles may be illegal, too.
It would be difficult if one did a lot of travelling to know what is banned in many countries. Of course, virtually any weapon is also banned in the UK, even if bought abroad whilst on holiday.