• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Turkey Will Stop Teaching Evolution in Secondary Schools

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Turkey is becoming a basket case.
It is perhaps over the edge as to becoming a Muslim dictatorship.
Erdogan now has powers that are unresistable by anyone. it is illegal to oppose him.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I actually like the idea. The entire TOE is just a theory. Until the entire TOE can be shown to be true it should not be taught as truth like it is in the USA.

I said it shouldn't be taught as truth. None of those theories are that I'm aware of.
So should the germ theory of disease, the heliocentric theory or the theory of a spherical Earth be deleted from science classes, as well?
I don't understand how you've managed so many posts in RF without learning what a theory is, or a fact, or why the ToE is both.
Do you not read other people's posts? Do you not understand them, or do they not even register?

I changed my post.
Turkey has elected to teach Creation theory as truth rather than teach evolution while in the US evolution is taught as truth while Creation theory isn't taught at all.
I prefer Turkey's way.
Alas, in the US the ToE often isn't taught at all. Perhaps this explains why you don't understand it.

So please explain. Why should Turkey teach magic, and how does magic fit into a science cirriculum? Do you not value evidence or analysis?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I read about this yesterday in The Guardian. ( Turkish schools to stop teaching evolution, official says )
Alpaslan Durmuş, who chairs the board of education, said evolution was debatable, controversial and too complicated for students.

“We believe that these subjects are beyond their [students] comprehension,” said Durmuş in a video published on the education ministry’s website.
So, apparently, Turkish students aren't very bright.

From The Daily News ( Turkey’s deputy PM calls theory of evolution ‘archaic and disproven’ - SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY )
The theory of evolution is an “archaic and decayed” theory, Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmuş has claimed, as debate continues over evolution’s lessened significance in Turkey’s new draft national curriculum.

“Scientifically, the theory of evolution is already an archaic and disproven theory. There is no such rule that this theory must be taught. Perhaps it might be brought to the agenda as one of the theories,” Kurtulmuş said in an interview with private broadcaster CNN Türk on Jan. 29.
And the Deputy Prime Minister is scientifically illiterate.

Turkey is rapidly transforming into an autocratic Islamic republic.
Ataturk must be spinning in his grave.

DavidFirth

So should the germ theory of disease, the heliocentric theory or the theory of a spherical Earth be deleted from science classes, as well?
I don't understand how you've managed so many posts in RF without learning what a theory is, or a fact, or why the ToE is both.
Do you not read other people's posts? Do you not understand them, or do they not even register?

Alas, in the US the ToE often isn't taught at all. Perhaps this explains why you don't understand it.

So please explain. Why should Turkey teach magic, and how does magic fit into a science cirriculum? Do you not value evidence or analysis?

I prefer not to discuss anything with you. Have a nice day.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I changed my post.

Turkey has elected to teach Creation theory as truth rather than teach evolution while in the US evolution is taught as truth while Creation theory isn't taught at all.

I prefer Turkey's way.
So, in other words, it's not the "teaching as truth" part that's an issue for you - it's whether or not what is being taught is consistent with your preconceptions.

DavidFirth

So, in other words, it's not the "teaching as truth" part that's an issue for you - it's whether or not what is being taught is consistent with your preconceptions.

No, I don't mind the teaching of theory. I do mind any theory being taught as true.

If I am forced to choose one or the other being taught as truth I will go with Creation every time, though, you're right about that.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
No, I don't mind the teaching of theory. I do mind any theory being taught as true.

If I am forced to choose one or the other being taught as truth I will go with Creation every time, though, you're right about that.
So you don't mind "creation theory" being taught as true?

Altfish

Veteran Member
Is it any wonder that many people equate Islam with Ignorance?

Welcome to the 17th Century Turkey.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Not if I have to choose something to be taught as true. Otherwise, it should be presented as theory in a science class.
But you don't - you could have both taught as theory (ignoring that creationism isn't a scientific theory). Instead, you have explicitly stated that you would be happy to have it taught as a fact over evolution - exposing a hypocritical mindset.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
"The theory of evolution is an “archaic and decayed” theory, Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmuş has claimed, as debate continues over evolution’s lessened significance in Turkey’s new draft national curriculum."

This is amazingly ironic coming from the guy who blindly adheres to a system of rigid dogma that's over a thousand years older.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's a theory and a fact -- like the germ theory.
The ToE is an actual, scientific theory, with lot's ofempirical support.
Creationism is not a theory, and has no empirical support -- so why would it be taught in a science classroom? It's not science.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
That's not what I said.

It wasn't your words, but I was seeking clarification of what you meant.
You said;
I actually like the idea. The entire TOE is just a theory. Until the entire TOE can be shown to be true it should not be taught as truth like it is in the USA.

And I asked if something should be proven fact before being taught in a science class. Perhaps you could simply indicate how you'd choose what should be taught in science classes...

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is it any wonder that many people equate Islam with Ignorance?

Welcome to the 17th Century Turkey.
I think this video illustrates well the ignorance of science that seems to be common amongst many religious Muslims. I found it fascinating.
Apparently this cleric is a medical doctor, believes the ToE is a failed theory no longer believed by most scientists and no longer accepted by most medical schools, and he clearly hasn't a clue what a scientific theory even is:

gnostic

The Lost One

What a hypocrite.

(A) creationism is a basket-case theology and pseudoscience.

(B) creationism is not science. Creationism is a myth, not a scientific theory.

(C) you have no idea what a scientific theory is.

It all come down to your utter lack of education in science and your agenda as a believer of creationism.

A scientific theory is a tested explanation of observed (A) natural phenomena and (B) man-made phenomena (computers, mobile phones, motor vehicles, etc). Scientific theory are verified by observations, like through tests and evidences.

Observations are not necessarily observed by eyes. Computers and devices can be used to detect and measure.

For instance, human cannot observe and measure electricity, by sight, sound or touch. So device like a digital multimeter can be used in testing circuits, that will readout of circuit's component resistance, or to measure the electric current or voltage, etc.

Similarly telescopes to look at distance galaxies, that we cannot see with our own eyes, unaided.

Like I said, a scientific theory explain phenomena, factual phenomena.

Do not confuse scientific theory with theories in theoretical science.

Scientific theory relied on "evidence", something that tested and measured and observed.

Theoretical physics, like multiverse model and superstring theory relied on proof, not evidence. Proof is a mathematical statement, like mathematical or logic model, or mathematical equations.