• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Turkey Will Stop Teaching Evolution in Secondary Schools

Kemosloby

Premium Member
That's too bad. I hoped the whole world could rally behind the imagination of Darwin.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I changed my post.

Turkey has elected to teach Creation theory as truth rather than teach evolution while in the US evolution is taught as truth while Creation theory isn't taught at all.

I prefer Turkey's way.

"Creation theory" isn't a scientific theory, which is why it isn't taught as science. It's the exact same reason we teach astronomy rather than astrology, and chemistry rather than alchemy,

There are still people out there who believe that the world is flat. Does that make it "controversial" to teach that planets are spheres? Should we remove globes from classrooms to be "fair"?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The situation described in the OP is a perfect example of why I think theism should not be presumed harmless.

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I said it shouldn't be taught as truth. None of those theories are that I'm aware of.

Then you are unaware. ALL of these are scientific theories. The point is that scientific theories are generally known as facts. Scientific *hypotheses* are generally known as informed theorizing. The layperson's concept of 'theory' is closest to the scientific concept of 'speculation'.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I changed my post.

Turkey has elected to teach Creation theory as truth rather than teach evolution while in the US evolution is taught as truth while Creation theory isn't taught at all.

I prefer Turkey's way.

I see. You prefer a blatant falsehood be taught as opposed to one of the best scientific ideas ever.

It figures

DavidFirth

I see. You prefer a blatant falsehood be taught as opposed to one of the best scientific ideas ever.

It figures

You can't prove it is "a blatant falsehood." If you could we wouldn't be discussing it. You simply assume it is. Just like you assume the theories are factual when you can't prove they are.

If you think macro-evolution is a proven fact you have been greatly deceived.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
You can't prove it is "a blatant falsehood." If you could we wouldn't be discussing it. You simply assume it is. Just like you assume the theories are factual when you can't prove they are.
Please present one testable hypothesis of creation theory.

Macro-evolution has been directly observed multiple times

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

No, that is not the case. I *have* studied these issues. The creationists have a habit of out and out lying. They don't merely interpret the evidence differently. They lie about the evidence. They don't merely present an alternative viewpoint. They lie about the standard viewpoint and lie about the evidence.

Sorry, but it is you that have been deceived. The evidence is clear and conclusive. Biological species change over geological time. And *that* is evolution. There is still some debate over *how* evolution happens, but the fact that it happens in not in dispute, except by religious extremists (like those in Turkey).

Ponder This

I think this video illustrates well the ignorance of science that seems to be common amongst many religious Muslims. I found it fascinating.
Apparently this cleric is a medical doctor, believes the ToE is a failed theory no longer believed by most scientists and no longer accepted by most medical schools, and he clearly hasn't a clue what a scientific theory even is:

To be fair, Evolution doesn't get a lot of attention in Medical Science. There is a push for Evolution to receive more attention in Medical Science, but the reason it isn't taught that much is that it's largely irrelevant to Medical Science. Doctors haven't seen the need to know about homo rhodesiensis to treat homo sapiens.

Theoretical physics, like multiverse model and superstring theory relied on proof, not evidence. Proof is a mathematical statement, like mathematical or logic model, or mathematical equations.

A lot of Theoretical Physics and String "Theory" in particular is pure speculation. They are using the word theory is a non-scientific sense and popularized their notions with books for the general public. It's actually sad what they've done.

"Creation theory" isn't a scientific theory, which is why it isn't taught as science. It's the exact same reason we teach astronomy rather than astrology, and chemistry rather than alchemy,

There are still people out there who believe that the world is flat. Does that make it "controversial" to teach that planets are spheres? Should we remove globes from classrooms to be "fair"?

Holding off teaching the flat Earth theory is probably best. It doesn't have enough general acceptance. I think it would make a great sub-note in a university Astronomy class.

Then you are unaware. ALL of these are scientific theories. The point is that scientific theories are generally known as facts. Scientific *hypotheses* are generally known as informed theorizing. The layperson's concept of 'theory' is closest to the scientific concept of 'speculation'.

It is a problem that people keep calling scientific theories facts. The word blurring is not good.

Turkey is apparently trying to challenge home-schooling for the lowest standard of education. Please discuss.

These things take time. Parents have a right to know what their children are being taught. I would be strongly against teaching Creationism in a Science class (to me that would be a step backwards), but removing Evolution from the curriculum isn't a step backwards, IMO, because it acknowledges the cultural climate of Turkey. Ideas shouldn't be forced upon people until they are ready to accept them and, by extension, those ideas shouldn't be forced onto their children either. You may think that delaying the topic of Evolution until undergraduate studies moves them towards third world status, but, in this case, I have to disagree. I don't see how failing to teach Evolution to Elementary school children harms a nation's socio-economic structure.
I think there are some things that could hurt a nation's socio-economic structure if they were removed from Elementary Education, but Evolution just isn't one of them.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To be fair, Evolution doesn't get a lot of attention in Medical Science. There is a push for Evolution to receive more attention in Medical Science, but the reason it isn't taught that much is that it's largely irrelevant to Medical Science. Doctors haven't seen the need to know about homo rhodesiensis to treat homo sapiens.
This is like saying architects don't need to understand geometry or physicists don't need algebra.

Medicine involves embryology, genetic screening, the development of bacterial antibiotic resistance, Pesticide resistance in mosquitoes, the epidemiology of numerous contagious diseases, the genetics of plague resistance in Europeans and its cross resistance to HIV, the mechanism of altitude tolerance in Himalayan populations vs that of Andean populations, Epigenetics, mutagenesis, and a hundred other subjects with genetic components. Human physiology and anatomy rest on the foundation of evolution. Medical research depends on an understanding of evolution. All biological based sciences are based on evolution.
It is a problem that people keep calling scientific theories facts. The word blurring is not good.
But they are facts:
Evolution as fact and theory - Wikipedia
Ideas shouldn't be forced upon people until they are ready to accept them and, by extension, those ideas shouldn't be forced onto their children either.
Would you eliminate physics, geology and astronomy as well as biology, then? Education involves both the acquisition of facts and the skills to understand, manipulate and apply them.
The real crime is indoctrinating children in religious doctrine before they're capable of logical evaluation and critical analysis.
You may think that delaying the topic of Evolution until undergraduate studies moves them towards third world status, but, in this case, I have to disagree. I don't see how failing to teach Evolution to Elementary school children harms a nation's socio-economic structure.
Elementary education teaches the elements that other disciplines are based on. A society that fails to teach its children their letters, their numbers or the basic facts underlying our understanding of the world; our understanding of how things work and relate to each other, will raise a generation of scientifically and technically retarded citizens. How will such a handicapped society manage in today's technological world?
I think there are some things that could hurt a nation's socio-economic structure if they were removed from Elementary Education, but Evolution just isn't one of them.
All of biology and related technologies rest on a foundation of evolution. The discipline just makes no sense without it. At best it would be a collection of unrelated and useless observations.
You may as well remove arithmetic or phonics from the curriculum.

DavidFirth

No, that is not the case. I *have* studied these issues. The creationists have a habit of out and out lying. They don't merely interpret the evidence differently. They lie about the evidence. They don't merely present an alternative viewpoint. They lie about the standard viewpoint and lie about the evidence.

Sorry, but it is you that have been deceived. The evidence is clear and conclusive. Biological species change over geological time. And *that* is evolution. There is still some debate over *how* evolution happens, but the fact that it happens in not in dispute, except by religious extremists (like those in Turkey).

There are in fact many people who disagree with your conclusions. I am just one of them. Until you can prove those theories are indisputably without fault, and you can't, then I will believe Jesus and Genesis instead of you.

DavidFirth

Curious, what grade are you in?

If you expect me to answer your questions you will need to ask meaningful questions.

What grade are you in, dude? It doesn't feel so good to be asked a stupid question like that, does it?